Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,284 times

Advertisements

have made a believer out of me. Not so much as to changing to that religion, as I am a Southern Baptist, tried and true. But, their dedication to doing good for others is overwhelming.

A couple in our town finally got their Habitat for Humanity home and needed help in moving. Complete strangers came together to load their belongings, drive the rental truck and unload and help arrange their furnishings in their new home. Not only that, but did it without one single complaint.

After the move was complete I asked one of the missionaries if they had anyone in their organization that would help the couple with having wills drawn up (as this is not a requirement but a suggestion from HFH). Right on the spot, the guy I was talking to volunteered his grandfather to draw a will up for them. For free.

There are angels on this earth and I was priviliged to meet some of them Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 01:05 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
That's how it starts... but before you know it, they've got ya drinking blood, drawing pentagrams on the floor and participating in massive, perverse orgies.

So, um... how do I sign up?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:03 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
have made a believer out of me. Not so much as to changing to that religion, as I am a Southern Baptist, tried and true. But, their dedication to doing good for others is overwhelming.

A couple in our town finally got their Habitat for Humanity home and needed help in moving. Complete strangers came together to load their belongings, drive the rental truck and unload and help arrange their furnishings in their new home. Not only that, but did it without one single complaint.

After the move was complete I asked one of the missionaries if they had anyone in their organization that would help the couple with having wills drawn up (as this is not a requirement but a suggestion from HFH). Right on the spot, the guy I was talking to volunteered his grandfather to draw a will up for them. For free.

There are angels on this earth and I was priviliged to meet some of them Tuesday.
That's nice to hear, Peachy. As a Mormon, I can't tell you how nice it is to hear a comment like that.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
I had a lot of Mormon friends growing up and they were some of the nicest people around. I even went on a retreat with one of my friends and her church group once. It didn't take - but neither did any other religion! And to be honest with you - they respected all of my opinions and never tried to convert me. As an adult - one of my good friends is Mormon and he is maybe one of the best people I know. He is completely non-judgemental and he has a great sense of humor. I really have nothing but good things to say about the Mormons that I know!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
That's how it starts... but before you know it, they've got ya drinking blood, drawing pentagrams on the floor and participating in massive, perverse orgies.

So, um... how do I sign up?
That is a pretty ignorant reply. Care to explain where you get your (mis)information from?

If you don't know anything about the LDS faith, then kindly keep your keystrokes to yourself.
If you do know a thing or two about the LDS faith, then say what you know instead of blurbing ignorant imaginations.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:25 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajholloway View Post
That is a pretty ignorant reply. Care to explain where you get your (mis)information from?

If you don't know anything about the LDS faith, then kindly keep your keystrokes to yourself.
If you do know a thing or two about the LDS faith, then say what you know instead of blurbing ignorant imaginations.
Haven't quite grasped the concept of tongue-in-cheek sarcasm yet, I see.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:39 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
^^It wasnt hard to miss that sarcasm, not sure how he did.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post

Thats great to hear we believe that we serve God by serving our fellow man. Christ set the perfect example of that. Service is never easy, especially in todays world, but it is required of all of us. If you think about it everything we do is service related. There is no reason for Mormons and other Christians not to have great relationships, once you get past stereotypes and misinformation.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:50 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
I don't believe in their religion, but I lived next door to a Mormon family, and yes they were some of the best people I have known in my long life...

Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajholloway View Post

From my position floating in the middle of the Great Salt Lake I can see millions of little (and big) Mormons running about doing their daily thing, (not to mention my wife IS one too )... so I know know a couple of things about mormons, the least of which is that most of 'em have a sense of humor.

I guess that isn't true in Massachusetts.... But who there does?

Last edited by Chango; 07-27-2010 at 10:30 AM..

Old 07-27-2010, 07:37 PM

121 posts, read 347,807 times
Well, Peachy, that's how it should be.

In Mormon culture, it goes by the name of Service, and it's a pretty high-ranked value. In some places a lot more of it goes on than in other places. There are organized programs to remind church members to look out for service opportunities, and do them when they pop up. Each family is assigned a couple of guys who are supposed to visit them every month and see if there are any ways the church can help them. In each ward, there is a committee that is supposed to meet every month and one of their top priority agenda items is finding ways to help people. In some places it doesn't work very well, but in my current ward they do a pretty good job. The young men and young women try to do at least one service project every month. That doesn't always happen either, but when it does it is a good thing. I've been on both the giving and the receiving ends of service many times, and it never fails to bless the lives of everyone involved.

Most of the Service that goes on is between members of the church, but as you have noticed we have no qualms about giving to or receiving service from other people. It's just that we tend notice the need more within the ranks. But we're always on the lookout for ideas. So if you (or anyone else that happens to read this) see a service opportunity--something that could be done to help someone who would appreciate it--maybe you could contact your local Mormon friend and suggest it. If you don't have any Mormon friends, talk to your local Mormon Missionary. Or go onto the church web site and look up the phone number for the local church building and see who answers the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality