Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:58 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Understand. My mentioning of 501(c)(3) was in relationship to the OP stating that this could lead to loss of tax-exempt status for religious entities. I'll amend my post to make that clearer.
Your post is fine. It help clarify that this case does not come close to 501 (c) 3 organizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:59 AM

180 posts, read 217,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
There is coming a day when our pastors will not be able to preach the truth from the Bible in their own church pulpits without being arrested. The problem started when the Freedom of Religion became Freedom from Religion. We have some really evil and twisted people making decisions in Washington, D. C. and our country will suffer for it.

I call that a good day , a day when the world no longer tolerates the bigotry and lies of religion.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:39 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
I call that a good day , a day when the world no longer tolerates the bigotry and lies of religion.
Hear! Hear!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:50 AM

848 posts, read 1,953,012 times
Quote:
My mentioning of 501(c)(3) was in relationship to the OP stating that this could lead to loss of tax-exempt status for religious entities.
We can only hope.....

Organized religion has pushed the boundary of their limits for too long. A careful look at all their practices is overdue, and I welcome this ruling.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:07 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
Well said.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:51 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I couldn't agree more. 'Truth' is a very abused word.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:18 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I couldn't agree more. 'Truth' is a very abused word.
Yes it it catman. Oddly enough, I find that one of the most profound statements ever made was ostensibly said by Pontius Pilate during the trial of Jesus. In John 18:37, Jesus says:

Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

In verse 38, Pilate says one of the best quotes in the entire bible in my opinion:

"What is truth?" Pilate asked.

Indeed.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:47 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
There is coming a day when our pastors will not be able to preach the truth from the Bible in their own church pulpits without being arrested. The problem started when the Freedom of Religion became Freedom from Religion. We have some really evil and twisted people making decisions in Washington, D. C. and our country will suffer for it.
Suffer for it? Funny, considering EVERY freedom and right we enjoy in this country was won in battle against the "truths" your pastors preached from your Bible. Neither your pastors or your Bible would know the truth if it had three heads and bit them on the arse. If they were interested in truth they would teach the correct origins of your Bible and and reject it like all other mythology

Oh and BTW you cannot have freedom OF religion without freedom FROM religion.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:26 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I really do not see the problem in having every 'for-profit business' filing income taxes.

'non-profit' status is a legal stance that has no basis on whether or not that business makes a profit.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Yes it it catman. Oddly enough, I find that one of the most profound statements ever made was ostensibly said by Pontius Pilate during the trial of Jesus. In John 18:37, Jesus says:

Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

In verse 38, Pilate says one of the best quotes in the entire bible in my opinion:

"What is truth?" Pilate asked.

Indeed.
Yes, yes. Though I haven't heard it for a long time, when one talks about trying to get at the truth, a kneejerk keyword response was 'Pilate said 'What is truth?'

The answer being 'That's a good question, and I notice that he never got an answer.'

This is the first and archetypal example of the theist fallacy of equivocation.

Truth in the sense of what is so, what is real and what actually occurred is one thing and is what science and learning is always looking for.

Clearly for Jesus to say the He is 'truth' is meaningless. What is he really saying? He is saying that He is the way through which the faithful can achieve eternal life. That is what he's there for.

How can that be 'truth'? It is nothing to do with whether string theory is correct or whether King Arthur really existed or how Polonium haloes get into granite. It is not about how things are but about having Faith in Jesus.

Thus truth is about what is so and truth is aparenty also about Faith. That the same word is used for both different meanings is the equivocation, so I refer to Faith in Jesus as 'Truth' and how things are (and the extent to which that has been adequately discovered) as 'truth'.

Truth is actually Faith, whether it is true or not. Lies is therefore anything that argues against Faith, whether it is true or not.

Verified truth therefore is designated Lies if it doesn't support Faith. And unverified claims and untruths are justified as 'True' if they support Faith.

Example. God's propagandist, C. S Lewis, referred to the nativity nonsense as 'Truer than true'. While giving him credit for recognising that it cannot actually have occurred as described, he sees a deeper 'Truth' in the untruth because it helps to strengthen people's faith. Thus, what is actually not true is to be regarded as 'Truth'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality