Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:38 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,185,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Here a a couple:

"Matthew composed the sayings in the Hebrew language and everyone interpreted as he was able." Papias (60-130)

"Now Matthew brought forth among the Hebrews a written gospel in their language, while Peter and Paul were preaching in Rome and founding the church." Irenaeus (130-200)

"Among the four Gospels, which are the only indisputable ones in the Church of God under heaven, I have learned by tradition that the first was written by Matthew, who was once a tax collector, but afterwards an apostle of Jesus Christ, and it was prepared for the converts from Judaism, and published in the Hebrew [or Aramaic] language." Origen (185-254)

"For Matthew, who had at first preached to the Hebrews, when he was about to go to other peoples, committed his Gospel to writing in his native tongue, and thus compensated those whom he was obliged to leave for the loss of his presence" Eusebius
I suggest you actually take some time and study what you are positing...because it's already been PROVEN that both the book of Matthew and Luke came from the same Mark source. You're just spouting what you've been taught and your lack of real education in this area shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 01:51 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,799,268 times
Quote:
He writes of his conversion to Christianity by meeting Jesus Christ in person on the way to Damascus to route out the Christians there.
Wrong...yet again. There isn't a single instance in all of Paul's writings that he ever meets or sees an earthly Jesus, neither does he give any reference to Jesus' (alleged) life on earth.

Quote:
"Among the four Gospels, which are the only indisputable ones in the Church of God under heaven, I have learned by tradition that the first was written by Matthew, who was once a tax collector,
If Matthew was a witness to Jesus, why does he write in the 'third person' as in...

"...And as Jesus passed forth thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto him (Matthew), follow me and he (Matthew) arose, and followed him." (Matthew 9:9)

Why didn't he write, as an eye witness...

"And as Jesus passed forth thence, he saw me sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto me, follow me and I arose, and followed him."

Because it was not written by Matthew...that's why.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:14 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,429,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I suggest you actually take some time and study what you are positing...because it's already been PROVEN that both the book of Matthew and Luke came from the same Mark source. You're just spouting what you've been taught and your lack of real education in this area shows.
It has not been proven.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:17 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,975,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Wrong...yet again. There isn't a single instance in all of Paul's writings that he ever meets or sees an earthly Jesus, neither does he give any reference to Jesus' (alleged) life on earth.

If Matthew was a witness to Jesus, why does he write in the 'third person' as in...

"...And as Jesus passed forth thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto him (Matthew), follow me and he (Matthew) arose, and followed him." (Matthew 9:9)

Why didn't he write, as an eye witness...

"And as Jesus passed forth thence, he saw me sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto me, follow me and I arose, and followed him."

Because it was not written by Matthew...that's why.
You can add John 21:24 into the mix too:

This is the disciple who testifies of these things, and wrote these things; and we know that his testimony is true.

Who exactly is WE and why are THEY saying HIS testimony is true? If John wrote the book, why would he refer to "we" when it should just have been "me?" Um...maybe because John the Disciple didn't write a damn thing and someone was just using his name or, to be fair, someone else wrote it for him?

Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,975,533 times
Quote:
It has not been proven.
You gotta be kidding, right? Even my kids could read Matthew and Mark and see that they are almost identical word for word with some key differences by the latter (Matthew) to correct Mark or to add his own little incredulous accounts that bend reality.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:21 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,435,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
You gotta be kidding, right? Even my kids could read Matthew and Mark and see that they are almost identical word for word with some key differences by the latter (Matthew) to correct Mark or to add his own little incredulous accounts that bend reality.
Plagiarism

Old 08-04-2010, 03:25 PM

180 posts, read 216,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Plagiarism
Plagarism in the bible , no way!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
It has not been proven.
I guess you know more than all the scholars who have proven this.

You can lead the sheeple to water....but you can't make em drink.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:45 PM

33,498 posts, read 36,996,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I guess you know more than all the scholars who have proven this.

You can lead the sheeple to water....but you can't make em drink.
Uhhhh, shouldn't that last word be "think"?

Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Uhhhh, shouldn't that last word be "think"?
Yeah...they won't do that either....but mine is more poetic and makes much better sense...don't ya think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality