Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:44 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times

Advertisements

At least Nikk and the door knocker attempted to give an answer that would give reason to an otherwise unneccessarily cruel allowance
I do not see one from one other god-is-all-love believer that would explain or excuse such events.

Edit...just saw reference to Chango's post ....didn't see it originally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Chango.....you have given the most Biblically sound answer, thus far. I assume that's why no one has responded to you. See....these cats don't really want reasons to love or believe in God. They want more reasons not to believe. That's the way a majority of these threads are designed.

Yes.... 2 gold stars!
Are you saying you agree with what Chango offered....pretty much what the JW said??? That animals do not feel pain any more than a rock does??

Old 08-06-2010, 05:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
They certainly did and Chango's was even better. However, as the explanation as to why John didn't record the transfiguration, the explanations, which 'at least' are better than no explanation, do not actually stack up.

The door - knocker's explanation does not explain why the accident was allowed to happen if God could minimise the pain involved.

Niikk's answer didn't answer in the wider context of what lesson can be learned by pointless harm and Chango's didn't address why, if God wanted nutrients to fertilize trees, he just didn't put it there instead of arranging for an animal to perish. As Chango has of course worked out for himself.

Similarly, the Transfiguration explanation - that Jesus enjoined secrecy -only applied up to death. You see, these explanations only suffice if one just comes up with some explanation and then doesn't think it through. A degree of blinkered unquestioning is required and that is why people who think, doubt, and that is why reasoning is the enemy of faith and that is why Jesus thanks God for concealing 'these things' from the wise, and that is why doubters, skeptics and atheists have the better of the arguments.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:09 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Since mostly we only get evasive answers to most questions, guess I shouldn't be disappointed that there haven't been any from the apologists to this one
I said it was a stretch but at least it was imaginative.

Since man wasn't there to suffer from having to witness, maybe God has it arranged so that the animal doesn't feel pain or suffer.

You have to admit, I can't prove that one otherwise.
The problem with this one is it leaves a god who's constantly changing the rules behind our backs on a whim. So in answering this one question, it's destroyed a whole class of "order requires a creator" style design arguments, since there's really no order just the unpredictable fancies of an unknowable god.

And if god's constantly changing the rules about things like this, who's to say she won'' change the rules for something else, like salvation for example.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:36 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Why did my cat shriek when her paw got caught under my boot?

Old 08-06-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Why did my cat shriek when her paw got caught under my boot?
The premise was that animals only suffer when in the presence of man so that man is 'punished' by having to witness it and be discomfitted....(for whatever reason is that sinful man needs to be punished)

Old 08-06-2010, 07:49 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
The premise was that animals only suffer when in the presence of man so that man is 'punished' by having to witness it and be discomfitted....(for whatever reason is that sinful man needs to be punished)
Oh, I thought it was because the cat felt the discomfort. They do have a nervous system. Or is it that they only have a nervous system when man is around? Maybe you are confusing me and my cat with Schrödinger and his cat. ;-) Was the JW in your encounter aware of this? Was I supposed to be punished? That squeal would have occured whether I caused it or some inanimate object caused it. Rocks don't squeal when I walk on them. Indeed, you know this is such an illogical line of reasoning. Why couldn't you come up with anything?

Old 08-06-2010, 07:55 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:
Are you saying you agree with what Chango offered....pretty much what the JW said??? That animals do not feel pain any more than a rock does??
Maybe you should read would Chango said AGAIN. Don't "add" to what Chango said (like you just did). Just because it's not the answer you "like" does not make it the wrong answer.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Oh, I thought it was because the cat felt the discomfort. They do have a nervous system. Or is it that they only have a nervous system when man is around? Maybe you are confusing me and my cat with Schrödinger and his cat. ;-) Was the JW in your encounter aware of this? Was I supposed to be punished? That squeal would have occured whether I caused it or some inanimate object caused. Rocks don't squeal when I walk on them. Indeed, you know this is such an illogical line of reasoning. Why couldn't you come up with anything?
When dealing with someone who believes that god can actually manage something like this, there isn't much of a comeback.

I let him get away with it because, unlike most times, it was specific to the situation and even if it included when in our presence, there is no way to prove an animal actually feels pain.........not one has ever been able to tell us and medically speaking, there are instances of bodies with nerve endings, etc that have conditions where they cannot 'feel'.

(Add in the fact that I really wasn't interested in prolonging my association with them

Old 08-06-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Maybe you should read would Chango said AGAIN. Don't "add" to what Chango said (like you just did). Just because it's not the answer you "like" does not make it the wrong answer.
From his post:
"their pain, suffering and death is irrelevant and basically non-existant."

What does non-existent mean to you?(If that's what you were referring to)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality