Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 05:03 PM

33,518 posts, read 37,094,369 times

Advertisements

To: Dave
Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Mr. Georgetown Texas Dave,

The day after I wrote the article, Kissimmee quashed the motion to add "in god we trust" to their logo. The mayors office wrote me personally to tell me they aren't doing it anymore. So, you are wrong, yet again. I'm not surprised. It seems to be a theme. So yes, what I did mattered, gave me joy, and didn't change a thing because we have a separation of church and state. I just defended it as we all have been called upon to do.

I find it deeply horrifying that you know what happens when you mix religion and government and you still want to do it. You know it's wrong and you want to do it anyways. You know its results: unchecked power, killings, murders, war, famine, fear, hunger, tyranny and yet, you still want to do it. You know history has judged such nations as monsters who must wear badges of shame and disgust for generations, and you advocate to do it anyways. That is the textbook definition of a sociopath.

You are a perfect example of why people like me are scared of religious folks. When you think the end is coming, when you honestly believe it will happen in your lifetime, your priority isn't preserving this world or ensure peace or freedom for your people. You can do whatever you want because it won't matter when the Apocalypse comes. Honor - who needs it? Duty - for idiots. Morality - I'll just repent when Jesus comes. What does it matter that your behavior is both criminal and harmful when you know you are with god and the world won't be here anyways.

I have higher moral standards than you. I believe I have a duty to my co-citizens, my country and my earth. God or no god, we have a responsibility to the people around us to act with care and concern. I refuse to discard the greater good because some unsupported book from two thousand years ago has been taken to say that some day soon the world will end. The apocalyptic world view reeks of moral decay and it damages our country.

People like you don't deserve to live in America. You toss away your rights as quickly as you were born into them and strive to strip the rights from others who value them. It is repugnant.

Rev. LaRae Meadows

Read entire correspondence here... Are Religious Beliefs Too Dangerous to Go Unchallenged? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,503,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
My apologies if you see my contributions as a hijack. It is not my intent. I am convinced that belief in GOD (NOT RELIGION) is a positive thing for society . . . hence my vigorous defense of it. However, there are RELIGIONS that are definitely destructive and dangerous. I just want to retain GOD . . . while we drain the dirty bath water (dangerous religious beliefs) from the tub.
THANKYOU.......Then we have found common ground....which also is the intent of my thread. I have never said Religion itself is inherently bad/evil. My premise is that SOME of it's beliefs/assertions are damaging to some people(such as gay folks) and contribute to misunderstandings and hatred/discrimination against some groups of people and some minorities.

Our society needs science/knowledge.....it is one of mankind's gifts.....to try and better this world for all of us and our children and to combat disease/famine/poverty and hatred for our fellow humans. We all share this planet together......WE MUST find common ground and learn to live together in peace and harmony. Only then can we grow/prosper and thrive as a species.

That is why I started the thread......Evolution and The Big Bang have been proven by Science...of course not every detail.....we can never know every detail of any subject, but that is not the point. The point is the theories are valid and we need to use that knowledge for the good of mankind and not fight over religious aspects you and others feel it infringes upon.

Surely you realize that is NOT the intent of Science. No scientist will deny that God MAY exist but there is no way to use the Scientific Method to prove or disprove that.....this is left up to the theologians and philosphers. Do not see Science as an enemy...Science seeks only the truth as we all do in our own way....but to deny Science because it disproves a few cherished beliefs is just not right.

You can still have your beliefs and embrace Science also.....at the moment of creation....science cannot use the Scientific Method and has nothing to say about that initial phenomena before the BIG BANG....our mathematical equations are useless at that instant. Then you may believe as you wish.....be it God, or random chance, whatever, that came before the initial Big Bang.

We all believe in being treatly equally and fairly....with compassion etc....these are not just religious concepts but universal human needs and concepts.....wee MUST treat one another as we wish to be treated ourselves....with respect and dignity. Science also has proven that sexual orientation is NOT a choice.....let the gays live/love in peace and dignity, as a compassionate God would.

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 08-09-2010 at 07:47 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 07:40 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,038,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
It is PEOPLE NOT SCIENCE that use our knowledge to HATE and wage WAR.......Science is neutral...it is humans who use it to do harm to others and our planet....mainly out of greed and hate.....the latter seems to be prevalently displayed in this thread.. And let me add THE MAJORITY OF WARS STARTED BY PEOPLE HAVE BEEN THE DIRECT RESULT OF RELIGIOUS ISSUES as in the CRUSADES and JIHADS....and let's not leave out THE INQUISITIONS.
Crusades - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jihad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Holy war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inquisition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you for posting these links though as I do study history, I was aware of the various facts you posted. I am a Christian, but I certainly do not discount science and how it can coexist with religious teachings. You are also correct that science is neutral - whereas so many wars are all about one religious group attempting to force it's beliefs on others or to 'convert' them.

Good post

Old 08-09-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
Thank you for posting these links though as I do study history, I was aware of the various facts you posted. I am a Christian, but I certainly do not discount science and how it can coexist with religious teachings. You are also correct that science is neutral - whereas so many wars are all about one religious group attempting to force it's beliefs on others or to 'convert' them.

Good post
Thankyou, for you are a true Christian who embraces love and harmony and realizes that Science is no threat to religion; but some people see science/truth as a threat.

I might add however; that when people deny science in an illogical fashion and deny scientific truths because of religion; then it is religion that becomes a threat to science/truth.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:39 AM

Are some religious concepts/beliefs ruining our health?????>>>>>>

Tara Stiles: Is Religion Ruining Our Health?

Albert Einstein: Religion and Science

Relationship between religion and science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-10-2010, 05:01 AM

YouTube - ‪Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church protest during a funeral‬‎

Old 08-10-2010, 07:21 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,311,074 times
Can you tell me exactly what they are protesting here? There seems to be no coherent point to it and why at a funeral of all things?...that is so far beyond bad taste it enters the realm of despicable.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 AM

454 posts, read 498,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
Can you tell me exactly what they are protesting here? There seems to be no coherent point to it and why at a funeral of all things?...that is so far beyond bad taste it enters the realm of despicable.
WTF is that all about? LMAO! The USA is so cool. I think I should visit there sometime! LOL.
With regards to the funeral being bad timing I would say the following is applicable:

Matthew 8:21,22
[21] And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
[22] But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

To a Christian, death is simply a defeated foe.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:36 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,311,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman6 View Post
WTF is that all about? LMAO! The USA is so cool. I think I should visit there sometime! LOL.
With regards to the funeral being bad timing I would say the following is applicable:

Matthew 8:21,22
[21] And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
[22] But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

To a Christian, death is simply a defeated foe.

So you approve of protesting a funeral where people are trying to grieve a loved one.Nice.

Funerals aren't for the dead, they are for those left behind. I want to know exactly what they thought could be important enough to make a mockery of a moment of deep sorrow and grief.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 AM

454 posts, read 498,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
So you approve of protesting a funeral where people are trying to grieve a loved one.Nice.

Funerals aren't for the dead, they are for those left behind. I want to know exactly what they thought could be important enough to make a mockery of a moment of deep sorrow and grief.
Yeah, I would like to know what the protest is about. I think it may have been abortion.
Well, if one accepts the words of the prophets then the death of the body is really are joyous thing as the person will be in heaven with the Lord. Rejecting the prophets is never going to lay a path of roses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality