U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:28 AM

13,856 posts, read 24,149,168 times

Advertisements

Possibly this should be in celebrities, Julia Roberts has apparently converted to Hinduism.

Julia Roberts converted to Hinduism while making Eat, Pray, Love film | Mail Online
Julia Roberts: I'm a Hindu - Telegraph

Although not a missionary faith as such there are others who have converted to Hinduism or, more often I think, to proselytizing Hindu-movements. For examples

Alice Coltrane
George Harrison
Aldous Huxley
Christopher Isherwood

Kelli Williams, The Practice and Lie to Me, is married to a Hindu and practices some of it but says she's basically agnostic.

Kelli Williams of 'Lie to Me' has showbiz in her blood - Scene - Modbee.com (http://www.modbee.com/2010/06/16/1213080/kelli-williams-of-lie-to-me-has.html - broken link)

Also one of Henry Ford's great-grandsons, Alfred, became a Hare Krishna.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 04:21 AM

48,745 posts, read 14,655,584 times
There are always going to be converts and de-converts. I recall that I posted a summary of high - profile religion - changers.

However, that sort of stuff doesn't impress me too much; it's too much like 'appeal to authority'. "Mick Snerd of 'The Smash' has become a Rastafarian! Score one for us!"

That some Oscar - award winner decides to swap religion is really neither here nor there. Not of course that you are saying that it is. But the false argument from 'high - profile convert' is sometimes seen.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:03 AM

I could see how such a thread, in different hands, could seem to be making an appeal to authority. (Although Julia Roberts I don't think is a grand authority on Life, the Universe, and Everything.)

I was thinking more that it is sometimes interesting when Westerners convert to non-Western religions that aren't even, per-se, proselytizing faiths. Also that we don't discuss Hinduism much so it could be interesting to see what some find appealing or unappealing about it. Although maybe I should have just titled it "Hinduism" to avoid attracting proselytizers of any stripe.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:26 AM

48,745 posts, read 14,655,584 times
Of course. I know your style too well to suppose that you are making some argument for christianity here, since it doesn't anyway. I'm just remarking on they way some do claim that people are converting in droves to their religion. In fact there's a steady stream all ways, though, as I said in one post, a survey done by me ten or so years ago found that people from Protestantism seemed to convert to a stiffer religion like catholicism or Islam.

There's certainly a rather exotic attraction to Eastern religion and, while doing Buddhist impressions, I found a lot of doors opened that were closed to just tourists.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:01 AM

13,510 posts, read 15,658,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
...I was thinking more that it is sometimes interesting when Westerners convert to non-Western religions that aren't even, per-se, proselytizing faiths. Also that we don't discuss Hinduism much so it could be interesting to see what some find appealing or unappealing about it. Although maybe I should have just titled it "Hinduism" to avoid attracting proselytizers of any stripe.
I have seen a number of references over the years that various forms of Buddhism are growing almost as fast as Islam in the U.S. And it used to seem that there was no dearth of Buddhist groups around the country if you checked the local phone books.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:56 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,070,198 times
is there any western religion???? i mean wasn t jesus from the east

Old 08-07-2010, 08:04 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,519,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
is there any western religion???? i mean wasn t jesus from the east
It seems the general definition is that western religions start in the middle east and Iran while eastern religions start in India, China, and Japan (though the Aryan beliefs Hinduism grew from are traced to Iran or central Russia I think). That does put them to the west and east of each other.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:16 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,519,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I was thinking more that it is sometimes interesting when Westerners convert to non-Western religions that aren't even, per-se, proselytizing faiths. Also that we don't discuss Hinduism much so it could be interesting to see what some find appealing or unappealing about it.
Well if you're going to be a member of a pantheistic religion why not join one with gods too numerous to count and more being discovered all the time? Their holy books sound like they have some great action in them.

Truthfully though Sikhism is the only eastern religion I've ever thought I might possibly convert to.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Well if you're going to be a member of a pantheistic religion why not join one with gods too numerous to count and more being discovered all the time? Their holy books sound like they have some great action in them.

Truthfully though Sikhism is the only eastern religion I've ever thought I might possibly convert to.
I took that Belief-O-Matic once, when I was considering abandoning my religion, and I came out with Sikhism on top. (Even then secular humanism was low. Even when I was considering disbelief in God rationalist-atheism was never my bag) That surprised me because at that point I thought of Sikhs as like a mix of Islam and Hinduism that turned into a warrior religion because of persecution. After that I looked into it a bit more and found I did like a good deal of it. The Guru Granth Sahib is huge, but I've considered reading it on occasion.

Although I wouldn't switch, when I take Belief-O-Matic now I come out mostly Catholic again and further learning made me realize areas I would not agree with Sikhs, but I am sympathetic to the Sikhs and the mistreatment they've received because people think they're Muslims. (Not that people should mistreat Muslims either you understand) The main Western convert to Sikhism I remember is Vic Briggs of the Animals, but I think there were some authors and maybe a jazz musician too.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:25 PM

37 posts, read 85,393 times
dear thomas, thank you for posting this forum titled converts to Hinduism!!! I, a mid 20's year olf white woman am a convert to Hinduism from the Russian Orthodox Christian church that i was baptized into at a very young age. i have never been happier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality