Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:54 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman6 View Post
Oh, I don't know. I saw a barrel of apples and one of the apples therin definitely had a bad side to it, although I suppose you could describe it as different. But I think bad is a more necessary description because different doesn't imply that one should not eat that side of that apple.

Anyway, sorry to interrupt.
If I read this correctly,"we' have just been declared bad/rotten.
Since 'one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch' it would be my suggestion that you remove yourself from this particular forum and save yourself from becoming spoiled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 11:55 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
I do find it somewhat odd that I get along with the atheists better than I do most of the Christians. I like them though. I find them funny and as my wife tends to say, "It's all about how funny something is to you, isn't it?"

As to this forum and religion, at then end of the day what does it really matter? People will continue to believe what they believe (or not believe) no matter what anyone here says. It's fun nevertheless and I've learned a lot of cool facts concerning biblical history and science that I did not know. It gave me places to start some more of my own research on topics that interest me.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:01 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Oh, I don't know. I saw a barrel of apples and one of the apples therin definitely had a bad side to it, although I suppose you could describe it as different. But I think bad is a more necessary description because different doesn't imply that one should not eat that side of that apple.

Anyway, sorry to interrupt.
Well, all I can say is that you can see me as "bad" if it pleases you. I prefer to see myself as "different." Actually, I really prefer to see myself as "spunky," to be honest with you.
But going with your apple analogy - it's funny that you would apply me seeing people as different to a bad apple. I think what I'm saying would more aptly apply to a barrel of different types of apples. I prefer Gala apples. But I don't "hate" Golden Delicious or Granny Smith apples. Maybe the barrel just has many different types of apples - all apples - all edible - all good - just different.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I do find it somewhat odd that I get along with the atheists better than I do most of the Christians. I like them though. I find them funny and as my wife tends to say, "It's all about how funny something is to you, isn't it?"

As to this forum and religion, at then end of the day what does it really matter? People will continue to believe what they believe (or not believe) no matter what anyone here says. It's fun nevertheless and I've learned a lot of cool facts concerning biblical history and science that I did not know. It gave me places to start some more of my own research on topics that interest me.
Never underestimate the power of laughter!!!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:10 PM

454 posts, read 498,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If I read this correctly,"we' have just been declared bad/rotten.
Since 'one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch' it would be my suggestion that you remove yourself from this particular forum and save yourself from becoming spoiled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Well, all I can say is that you can see me as "bad" if it pleases you. I prefer to see myself as "different." Actually, I really prefer to see myself as "spunky," to be honest with you.
But going with your apple analogy - it's funny that you would apply me seeing people as different to a bad apple. I think what I'm saying would more aptly apply to a barrel of different types of apples. I prefer Gala apples. But I don't "hate" Golden Delicious or Granny Smith apples. Maybe the barrel just has many different types of apples - all apples - all edible - all good - just different.
Oh, sorry people, I didn't mean to offend anybody.

I was just trying to make the point that bad and different are not the same thing. If something is bad, like an apple in a barrel, and you give it to a blind man to eat it may kill him, depending how bad it is. Whereas, if it was just different, then that probably wouldn't have any effect.

I would estimate that every barrel has at least one bad one in it, therefore to say they're all good is probably a bit dangerous as I imagine bad apple can be potentially toxic.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Oh, sorry people, I didn't mean to offend anybody.

I was just trying to make the point that bad and different are not the same thing. If something is bad, like an apple in a barrel, and you give it to a blind man to eat it may kill him, depending how bad it is. Whereas, if it was just different, then that probably wouldn't have any effect.

I would estimate that every barrel has at least one bad one in it, therefore to say they're all good is probably a bit dangerous as I imagine bad apple can be potentially toxic.
I guess I didn't really see the discussion being about bad or harmful people. I just saw the discussion being about people of different beliefs. Atheists, Christians, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, Agnostics - I just think of them as different - not bad. Sure, there are some bad seeds everywhere - regardless of faith - if you want to go there. But I wasn't really discussing the bad seeds - just that we are all different and how I see that as a good thing.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:33 PM

454 posts, read 498,679 times
Quote:
I guess I didn't really see the discussion being about bad or harmful people. I just saw the discussion being about people of different beliefs. Atheists, Christians, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, Agnostics - I just think of them as different - not bad. Sure, there are some bad seeds everywhere - regardless of faith - if you want to go there. But I wasn't really discussing the bad seeds - just that we are all different and how I see that as a good thing.
Do you think it is interesting that Jesus of Nazareth said he wasn't good?

Old 08-08-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Do you think it is interesting that Jesus of Nazareth said he wasn't good?
To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not a Christian and I don't really contemplate Christian things. Although Christian people interest me - as do all people - Christianity itself does not. So I don't really think about what Jesus said of himself. I also don't really care whether Nazareth was a town, village, city, or whatever. I'm not trying to be rude - just honest. I guess you find it interesting that Jesus said he wasn't good - and feel free to expound on that if you would like. Afterall - this is a forum. Feel free to discuss and debate whatever you want to your heart's content!

Old 08-08-2010, 02:07 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,265 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be rude - just honest.
That alone is good enough for me. I'm 76 years old and I challenge anybody in my real life to prove to me that I was ever willfully dishonest. Now rude...that's another story.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:25 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
To be honest, my friend, I see your point but I see that just as much from the fundamentalist Christians. You are very open minded - as am I (I hope!) - but the extremists on either side are not. Try talking to some of the hard core Christians! I can't tell you how many times I've been told that I'll burn in hell or that I'm wicked! I can't tell you how many times I've been told that I'm rejecting THE TRUTH or that I hate God. But the hard core atheists don't upset me because my beliefs tend to be more in tune with theirs. I think we notice more what bothers us more. In your case - you are going to notice the hard core atheists. In my case, I'm going to notice the hard core Christians. Let us just try to remember that there is no "bad" side - just "different" sides!
Oh sure. I just see more activist/militant type atheists here than I do Fundamentalists. I've had arguments with Fundamentalists types here too though. Like Campbell I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality