Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:52 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times

Advertisements

Religion and civilization do not mix.. forums are just a microcosm proving that to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 01:16 PM

454 posts, read 498,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Religion and civilization do not mix.. forums are just a microcosm proving that to be true.
That's a huge call QuixoticHobbit. Why do you say that?

I like to think that I follow Jesus Christ religiously. And I really like a lot of thingss about a lot of religions, even Catholicism has some good bits - they put on a pretty good show (even though it's all hype) - although there are some who say that religion itself is of Satan.

Why don't you like religion? Or am I mistaken and you think civillisation is the over-rated concept of the sophisticated?

Old 08-07-2010, 01:44 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman6 View Post
I like to think that I follow Jesus Christ religiously
Are you meek?
Do you turn the other cheek?
What about walking the extra mile?
Do you love your neighbor as you love yourself?
If sued in court for your coat do you voluntarily give your cloak?
Do you love your enemies?
Do you pray for those who curse and despise you?
Are you in church every time the doors are open?
Do you give 10% of your gross earnings?
Have you sold everything you own and given it to the poor?
Are you perfect?

Matthew 5:48
"Be you therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

Old 08-07-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Are you meek?
Do you turn the other cheek?
What about walking the extra mile?
Do you love your neighbor as you love yourself?
If sued in court for your coat do you voluntarily give your cloak?
Do you love your enemies?
Do you pray for those who curse and despise you?
Are you in church every time the doors are open?
Do you give 10% of your gross earnings?
Have you sold everything you own and given it to the poor?
Are you perfect?

Matthew 5:48
"Be you therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."
WOW! That's full on! I've sold most of my stuff. And I just said that in a kind of meek way.

I can honestly say that I am more of those things than I was 5 years ago. And that tomorrow I will be moreso than today. I consider myself to be a work in process!

Do you reckon that's how God judges us when we die? I used to worry about that. Now I am just happy that I can drink the blood of Christ and eat his flesh and step out of the dock.

Are you a full-on Christian Melvin.George? You seem pretty intense. I reckon that Jesus would have been like that. But yeah, the Sermon on the Mount is the ultimate in checklists. If you can read that and say you're fully in-line then you're definitely free.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Now I am just happy that I can drink the blood of Christ and eat his flesh
Do you know why that little gesture is in there? Way back in primitive times bands of strong young men roamed the countryside pillaging, raping, stealing and taking waht they wanted from the well off. There were also those who practiced cannibilism as a religious ritual. When the upper class Jews wrote that set of fairy tales, which incidently they obviously don't even believe themselves, it had a plot in there to stop all manner of things which was contrary to their well being so VOILA...symbolic eating of flesh and drinking of blood.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Do you know why that little gesture is in there? Way back in primitive times bands of strong young men roamed the countryside pillaging, raping, stealing and taking waht they wanted from the well off. There were also those who practiced cannibilism as a religious ritual. When the upper class Jews wrote that set of fairy tales, which incidently they obviously don't even believe themselves, it had a plot in there to stop all manner of things which was contrary to their well being so VOILA...symbolic eating of flesh and drinking of blood.
I reckon that it is because Jesus of Nazareth was the Word Incarnate and therefore his flesh is the Word of God and his blood is the Spirit of Truth.

But what you have written is very interesting. I don't know much about those primitive people and cannibalism and all that jazz. Thanks for sharing mate.

Oh yeah, you didn't say whether or not you're a believer in the Lord.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:20 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
I used to worry about that. Now I am just happy that I can drink the blood of Christ and eat his flesh and step out of the dock.
Gee as a godless heathen I find ritualistic or even symbolic cannibalism to be rather primitive, barbaric, and frankly twisted. Sounds like something out of a bad "B" movie pagan ritual scene.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, you didn't say whether or not you're a believer in the Lord.

Never have believed in virgin birth, healing leprosy by touching, walking on water, turning water into the best wine, feeding 5000 hungry men plus women and children who also ate with two fish and five loaves then gathering twelve baskets of leftovers. Anybody who does believe all of that unadulterated crap has either been brainwashed with BS or they need to be in therapy.

You know what? I'm a realist and a pragmatist. I was in the church for nearly forty years. I never did believe that stuff. My IQ has been measured three times during my life. Once in high school in 1951, once in the army in 1958 and once when a local board member of Mensa made me a candidate for that organization. My average was 129. I have better sense than to believe such a load of crap from ancient times dreamed up by primitive mankind who believed the earth was flat and the universe revolved around it.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 08-07-2010 at 02:33 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Gee as a godless heathen I find ritualistic or even symbolic cannibalism to be rather primitive, barbaric, and frankly twisted. Sounds like something out of a bad "B" movie pagan ritual scene.
LOL! Yeah, it does a bit hey. I was never the most sophisticated person so it probably suits me.

But I still wanna say that I reckon the body of Christ is the Word of God (see John 1:1) and the blood of Christ is the Spirit of Truth. I'm not a total psycho! *hides under blanket*but i'm a bit different. LOL!

Anyway, what's so wrong with "B"grade flicks. "Snakes on a plane" is tremendous! It's about some snakes on a plane.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Never have believed in virgin birth, healing leprosy by touching, walking on water, turning water into the best wine, feeding 5000 hungry men plus women and children who also ate with two fish and five loaves then gathering twelve baskets of leftovers. Anybody who does believe all of that unadulterated crap has either been brainwashed with BS or they need to be in therapy.

You know what? I'm a realist and a pragmatist. I was in the church for nearly forty years. I never did believe that stuff. My IQ has been measured three times during my life. Once in high school in 1951, once in the army in 1958 and once when a local board member of Mensa made me a candidate for that organization. My average was 129. I have better sense than to believe such a load of crap from ancient times dreamed up by primitive mankind who believed the earth was flat and the universe revolved around it.
That's weird, there's an extra paragraph in the reply post box.

Yeah, I understand that. The ways God works are definitely not in accord with the ways of humans. He seems a bit unlimited. I unnderstand that believing is difficult.

I'll take some therapy. If someone else is payinglol. A masssage + aromatherapy + spa &sauna. YAY!

Anyway, unadulterated is an interesting word. It's like the opposite of adulterated. Jesus said that to look at a woman to lust after her is adultery in the heart.

Do you agree with Jesus about that?

Oh and I don't think that Scripture indicates that the earth is flat. Just for the record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality