Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:40 AM

44 posts, read 57,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
In an interview with Anderson Cooper on CNN Hitchings told of his esophageal cancer. He said not many survive his condition. He told Cooper that if he died and later some religious group made up a lie about some death bed conversion or anything else involving the invisible man in the sky that it wasn't about to happen.

Christopher Hitchens talks cancer with Anderson Cooper - PATRICK GAVIN | POLITICO CLICK

Many times in the past those who believe in ancient gods have told stories about devout atheists finally coming to their senses on their death beds. It's kinda like their stories about how god performed a miracle for them. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!
First off, we need to make sure to show proper respect for him. That's a horrible disease and I pray that he conquers it.

I also pray that Christopher comes to repent and trust in Christ. Will he? No idea. I know that God is big enough and can reach him. It certainly appears that he is trying to get his attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 09:51 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
I was baptized before nearly 1000 folks in a relatively large Baptist church in 1957. I never half do anything so I joined the Brotherhood. I was on Building committees, taught Sunday school, went with others to visit in the local hospital on Tuedays. I coached or refereed for the Junior boys in the church, I gave testimony at small churches in neighboring towns, I was in the church at least three times a week and we donated 10% of our gross.
Melvin! Your talking about all the works you did but did you ever have FAITH in the Lord? I'm not saying you did those things for nothing. Trust me, God has recorded accounts of what you have done! But what is it all worth it if you never had trust or faith in the Lord? If you never really believed? Even if you had trouble having faith, ask God for strengthening and ask him for understanding. Sometimes we think that we're smart enough to understand things that God has planned for us but not every time you will. That is why you need to ask God for understanding and what it is he wants for your life. Don't you know he has WONDERFUL things planned for your life?! He wants you to come to him and have everlasting life! But you must want it. You must believe!

Old 08-07-2010, 09:54 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkWeekRules View Post
I know that God is big enough and can reach him..
Actually you know nothing. A load of it left by primitive mankind which he gleened from his dreams and developing imagination and which has been passed down to infants and small children in each new generation is what you think you know. Nobody knows anything about an afterlife because death is dying...that's why they call it dead.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:00 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I have to say, I only wish the best and full recovery for Mr. Christopher. With all the prayer support groups he's been receiving, hopefully he can look at Christianity in another light and get saved before it's too late. I feel so bad for him. I couldn't imagine having cancer at such an age.
Now wait a minute......didn't you just say death bed conversions won't get you anywhere because god and/or the angels are gonna pull up your rap sheet and say "sorry charlie"
Make up my mind

Old 08-07-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Actually you know nothing. A load of it left by primitive mankind which he gleened from his dreams and developing imagination and which has been passed down to infants and small children in each new generation is what you think you know. Nobody knows anything about an afterlife because death is dying...that's why they call it dead.
Lies! You have a soul and that is who you really are! You inhabit your body on Earth until you die! There IS an afterlife Melvin and it's no joke! Your grandmother is probably in heaven right now! You could be too if you repent for your sins. God wants you Melvin!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Hitching's is a interesting person to get another view o politics. For example he axctaully bel;eive i the riaq war for its basic puropse of freeing th peolle form saddam. That being sid he is and has always been a very anrgy type person that one has to feel sorry for as a human being. This statement only continues that angry person normal voice;IMO.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Why do you pretend to know? You tell me I know nothing but supposedly you're some sort of expert? Or do you just get a kick out of insulting people and poking fun at their religion?

Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Now wait a minute......didn't you just say death bed conversions won't get you anywhere because god and/or the angels are gonna pull up your rap sheet and say "sorry charlie"
Make up my mind
I'm sorry. I was under the impression Mr. Christopher was still alive?! If he is alive and well, he can be saved right now! But on his last breathes of life, it is too late! Right now, if he is well enough to talk on CNN to Anderson Cooper, he is well enough to repent for his sins and get saved. If he waits until he is dying and on his very last breathes of life, I imagine (because I am not God) that it would have been too late for him. Thats' why I'm going to urge people from now on to get saved and repent because life is short. You shouldn't have to wait until you know your dying to want to come to God. You should come to him RIGHT NOW. There are so much joy and happiness in Heaven for you to inherit. You will have no more tears! No more sadness. You will walk and talk with Jesus. You would praise and give thanks to God. Heaven is a beautiful paradise! I don't understand why you would wait for something like that. Why wait when you can inherit that now? Your name could be written in the book of life! If you must first want it!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm sorry. I was under the impression Mr. Christopher was still alive?! If he is alive and well, he can be saved right now! But on his last breathes of life, it is too late! Right now, if he is well enough to talk on CNN to Anderson Cooper, he is well enough to repent for his sins and get saved. If he waits until he is dying and on his very last breathes of life, I imagine (because I am not God) that it would have been too late for him.
Oh, I see.
His life long ' rap sheet' won't matter if his 'death bed' is sorta short in duration.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Oh, I see.
His life long ' rap sheet' won't matter if his 'death bed' is sorta short in duration.
Actually, God can save him right up until the last moment he draws breath. That is between him and God--I won't pretend to know. I hope he does, and will pray for Christopher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality