Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:57 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You know Branson, your attitude is what will destroy you. You think that your somehow better than the killer? Guess what? In God's eyes, your not. We are all the same sinners. And if we repent for our sins and become born-again, believers in Christ, we are forgiven and WILL go to heaven. But if you don't, guess where you go? Somewhere the killer didn't. I'm not sticking up for him or what he did. But the Bible is VERY clear on that. And for the record, no I don't believe he would get to heaven on his deathbed. But that's me. I'm not God so I don't know.
Well, that is all fine if that is what you wish to believe. I do not criticize people for what they need to believe to be happy and feel good. That is totally up to you. But to me, the idea of Karma makes much more sense. That you are held accountable in the next life for that which you do in this one. Be good, and you are rewarded, be bad and you are punished. That seems to me to be the right way to do things. But that is just my opinion.

Like I said, people believe what they need to believe to get along in the world.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 10:57 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
I find it pretty disrespectful and insulting of Christians to use Hitchens illness as an excuse to proselytize, but then they tend to jump on any excuse to spread their propaganda...Perhaps some of you should go knock on a few doors, but stay the hell away from mine.

Allen...You have not said IMO in this thread...You peddle your fear mongering as if it were fact...When are you going to learn that you cannot scare us into believing your insane nonsense?

Old 08-07-2010, 10:58 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,161,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
In an interview with Anderson Cooper on CNN Hitchings told of his esophageal cancer. He said not many survive his condition. He told Cooper that if he died and later some religious group made up a lie about some death bed conversion or anything else involving the invisible man in the sky that it wasn't about to happen.

Christopher Hitchens talks cancer with Anderson Cooper - PATRICK GAVIN | POLITICO CLICK

Many times in the past those who believe in ancient gods have told stories about devout atheists finally coming to their senses on their death beds. It's kinda like their stories about how god performed a miracle for them. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!
I can't wait until he comes back as a spirit and recants everything he said.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Been there done that. Maybe I'll try the Koran next? Or the Vedic texts and see if they say anything better?

The writers of the bible didn't know any better than you did.

And what is up with christians and sarcastic smiley faces?
When it's you Atheist doing the sarcastic comments and smilies, it's all good. But when the tables are turned, nooo. You don't like it. Hypocrites!

Old 08-07-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
It's your opinion? Then treat it that way and stop trying to get everyone to have your same opinion.
I wasn't trying to get you to have my same opinion. Otherwise it wouldn't be MY opinion. I'm trying to save your soul!! Don't you know you don't have to suffer?!

Old 08-07-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I find it pretty disrespectful and insulting of Christians to use Hitchens illness as an excuse to proselytize, but then they tend to jump on any excuse to spread their propaganda...Perhaps some of you should go knock on a few doors, but stay the hell away from mine.
It's funny you say that because you didn't hear the part where Christopher himself was surprised by how many CHRISTIANS were sending him prayer request and get well cards!! All the Christians here have been saying we hope he gets well!! Your the only bitter walnut criticizing others AS USUAL in his time of pain and suffering trying to find ANY reason to spread your hatefulness! And who the heck is coming to your home Sanspeur?! Nobody wants to go to your smelly house. Are you really that paranoid?

Old 08-07-2010, 11:09 AM

465 posts, read 528,685 times
Quote:
When it's you Atheist doing the sarcastic comments and smilies, it's all good. But when the tables are turned, nooo. You don't like it. Hypocrites!
I don't do it so your point is moot.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to get you to have my same opinion. Otherwise it wouldn't be MY opinion. I'm trying to save your soul!! Don't you know you don't have to suffer?!
You just said you say IMO...please just stop or make up your mind because your contradicting and backtracking like a madman.

Suffer from what? there's no evidence for what you believe and you only believe because you're scared of dying and maybe you need some type of hope in your life. That's why you need faith because the crap you talk about has no evidence. Fine..good for you.

Like the Hitchens we're talking about in this thread, christians aren't just satisfied with their belief making them happy, but EVERYONE ELSE,, has to believe it too!

Your belief doesn't make everyone happy and in fact it causes depression and anxiety in a lot of people which is why some people leave the the myth.

Get over yourself.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
It's funny you say that because you didn't hear the part where Christopher himself was surprised by how many CHRISTIANS were sending him prayer request and get well cards!! All the Christians here have been saying we hope he gets well!! Your the only bitter walnut criticizing others AS USUAL in his time of pain and suffering trying to find ANY reason to spread your hatefulness! And who the heck is coming to your home Sanspeur?! Nobody wants to go to your smelly house. Are you really that paranoid?
Probably a hidden agenda. You know the mindset "if he sees our care for him, he will repent!"

Old 08-07-2010, 11:28 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,265 times
Quote:
Lies! You have a soul and that is who you really are! You inhabit your body on Earth until you die! There IS an afterlife Melvin and it's no joke! Your grandmother is probably in heaven right now! You could be too if you repent for your sins. God wants you Melvin!
Go man go!!

I've been to a hundred Christian funerals here in the south since I was young in the 1950's. Guess what? They all went to heaven...either that or the preachers are liars.

You have been so thoroughly brainwashed with that ancient tale, written by the Jews and which they themselves do not believe, that you are totally unable to entertain the possibility that death means dead.

What about the other million species of life on the planet? Everything is gonna die. Are we the only ones with some invisible man in the sky who is constantly threatening us with hell if we don't carry out his wishes?

The only thing which makes us different from other species is our imagination. Ironically that's where gawd came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality