Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 04:47 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Getting back to the 80 to 90% part: I would assume that only 20% of the WORLD (not US) population follow Christ like say, Billy Graham, etc...
Some Christians believe that Billy Graham is going to hell.

YouTube - ‪Why Billy Graham is going to Hell‬‎

YouTube - ‪Billy Graham Denies Jesus Is The ONLY WAY To The Father‬‎
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Maybe you should consider a different state or town. I rarely or never have such experiences. I don't think the town's atheist had them much either. The lesbian Baha'i woman, who was co-librarian for awhile, had people go to her lectures on what Baha'i was and I don't think she got any trying to convert her to Christianity.

Catholics and mainline Protestants (Methodists, Episcopalians, United Church of Christ, other Congregationalists, liberal forms of Presbyterianism) rarely or never do the kind of Evangelism you mean. Even Evangelical Protestants, in my experience, don't usually go to people's houses. Although they may corner you at public places like convenience stores or libraries. Catholics and mainline usually don't even do that.

I might guess you live in a place with a large Jehovah's Witness and fringe Evangelicals reside. Or that you are related to someone of note in some church, like a preacher, and therefore they feel the need to "bring you back." But anyway this behavior is pretty rare among Christians even if it is memorable.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:14 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So really, only stupid people go to Hell? I mean, you'd have to be pretty dim to find yourself dead, be confronted by an angel or Johnny the Baptist and still say 'Don't believe ya'.
Not "stupid people". Stubborn, arrogant people. Well, "dim" too...but primarily obstinate.

Even if John the Baptist or an Angel were to appear to them...it's not enough to just "acknowledge" or "believe"...you are forgetting the "bowing down in total fealty to the Evil Dictator God for the rest of eternity", that would be required.

There are many posts by Atheists saying they wouldn't EVER bow down to Monster Bible-God...I recall even seeing straight-up declarations they would take Hell instead. Based on that...even though they would "know" what the deal was...they'd refuse to conform to the "Heavenly Protocol".

So, even given the post-mortem "hip you to the real deal" scenario--Those would be the people in Hell...Petulant Atheists.

I have said in past posts that I didn't believe them...that it's just grandiose posturing...and that they'd be crawling and sniveling with the best of them, if that is what was required. But I'm just putting it out there the way I've seen it stated many times.

Again...those would be the people roasting for eternity...hopefully standing, and not on their knees anyway. Oh maaaaan...wouldn't that beat all?!! If they refused bowing to Bad Ol' God, and chose Hell...then SATAN makes them bow down to him, WHILE they're burning! NO, WAIT!...bow down to GOD, from Hell, while they're burning! Sounds like keeping with what Bible-God would do! Better plan accordingly...and start practicing the bowing down and groveling now.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
Quote:
80 to 90% of the worlds people going to go to hell?
Where is your reference? Or is this you perceived idea of how many are going to hell? If we are making up numbers I think over 90% of people will enter heaven!

Quote:
Also, if he knows (according to scripture) who will accept him and who wont...
and if he his almighty and in control....
doesn't that seem like he is choosing which ones will be going to heaven and which ones will be going to hell before one is born?
No, His knowing does not affect your choice. Just like your memory of the past cannot affect your past!

Quote:
Getting back to the 80 to 90% part: I would assume that only 20% of the WORLD (not US) population follow Christ like say, Billy Graham, etc...
if accepting Jesus as lord and savior is the only way to heaven, according to the bible, where does that leave the other 80% of the world?
I'm not sure if it's 80%, especially when you take the Bible saying "I will never forsake you", into play, but I think I can confidently say, the majority of folks in the world are not "born again Christians".....
so therefore, most of the world, maybe as high as 80% are going to hell? I thought God was a loving God.
I'm not saying I think the way I've posted this thread, however, these are a few things, I've heard from folks in "Christianity debates"............
Yes, the only way into heaven is through Jesus Christ.

Remember, it is God's harvest and he will send those who are willing into his harvest. You are assuming that there are no Christians in these countries that are pridominantly of another religion. But, Christianity is being preached throughout the whole world. There will be a time in the near future where no one will be without excuse for all will know the gospel and have heard it preached to them.

Regardless, it is written: "Seek and you will find, Knock and it will be opened to you." So, anyone who is hungry will find God. Not through these other religions, but God will reveal himself to that person no matter what ungodly nation they are living in. Remember Abraham was of the Ur of the Chaldees (Modern day Kuiwait). He sought God and God told him to leave that country and go to another. By his faith, he became the father of faith. So, how much more easier would it be for God to come to any person in this day and age with Christianity so easily accessable to the world. There is no place on the earth that can say it is so far removed that God cannot meet them!

So, your reasoning is incorrect, because you do not know the influence that Christianity has on the world and of the power of God to save.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:30 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Maybe you should consider a different state or town. I rarely or never have such experiences. I don't think the town's atheist had them much either. The lesbian Baha'i woman, who was co-librarian for awhile, had people go to her lectures on what Baha'i was and I don't think she got any trying to convert her to Christianity.

Catholics and mainline Protestants (Methodists, Episcopalians, United Church of Christ, other Congregationalists, liberal forms of Presbyterianism) rarely or never do the kind of Evangelism you mean. Even Evangelical Protestants, in my experience, don't usually go to people's houses. Although they may corner you at public places like convenience stores or libraries. Catholics and mainline usually don't even do that.

I might guess you live in a place with a large Jehovah's Witness and fringe Evangelicals reside. Or that you are related to someone of note in some church, like a preacher, and therefore they feel the need to "bring you back." But anyway this behavior is pretty rare among Christians even if it is memorable.
Three weeks ago, some crazy preacher approached me and my step sons as we were riding bikes. He (the preacher) was trying to "spread the word" to those who needed "the truth". In his sidewalk sermon, he warned that we could possibly "not make it back" on our bike ride. My step sons are 13 and 15 years old.

I am sorry, but I almost cursed that pastor out for scaring teenagers the way that he did. I am not sure about other areas of the country, but the bible thumping situation here in the bible belt is getting out of control. In the downtown area of my city, these guys (nutty christians) sometimes hold demonstrations on loud speakers while holding up pictures of dead aborted fetuses. They also preach hate speaches directed towards our homosexual youth. Enough is enough. There should be a law that bans such activity.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:28 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If, according to the Christian faith, God is so loving, kind and gentle, why are.....
those of us that have already said "Not interested" subjected to acres of repetitive scripture on internet discussion forums?
Maybe those who are "not interested" are frequenting the wrong forums?

Moderator cut: deleted quoted post

Moderator cut: deleted quoted post

Nothing to add to that.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-12-2010 at 07:17 AM..

Old 08-11-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Not "stupid people". Stubborn, arrogant people. Well, "dim" too...but primarily obstinate.

Even if John the Baptist or an Angel were to appear to them...it's not enough to just "acknowledge" or "believe"...you are forgetting the "bowing down in total fealty to the Evil Dictator God for the rest of eternity", that would be required.

There are many posts by Atheists saying they wouldn't EVER bow down to Monster Bible-God...I recall even seeing straight-up declarations they would take Hell instead. Based on that...even though they would "know" what the deal was...they'd refuse to conform to the "Heavenly Protocol".

So, even given the post-mortem "hip you to the real deal" scenario--Those would be the people in Hell...Petulant Atheists.

I have said in past posts that I didn't believe them...that it's just grandiose posturing...and that they'd be crawling and sniveling with the best of them, if that is what was required. But I'm just putting it out there the way I've seen it stated many times.

Again...those would be the people roasting for eternity...hopefully standing, and not on their knees anyway. Oh maaaaan...wouldn't that beat all?!! If they refused bowing to Bad Ol' God, and chose Hell...then SATAN makes them bow down to him, WHILE they're burning! NO, WAIT!...bow down to GOD, from Hell, while they're burning! Sounds like keeping with what Bible-God would do! Better plan accordingly...and start practicing the bowing down and groveling now.
It is written: "It is appointed unto man once to die and then the judgement."

So, there will be no time once you die to repent of your evil ways. No stopping at the pearly gates to chat with saint Peter!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Three weeks ago, some crazy preacher approached me and my step sons as we were riding bikes. He (the preacher) was trying to "spread the word" to those who needed "the truth". In his sidewalk sermon, he warned that we could possibly "not make it back" on our bike ride. My step sons are 13 and 15 years old.

I am sorry, but I almost cursed that pastor out for scaring teenagers the way that he did. I am not sure about other areas of the country, but the bible thumping situation here in the bible belt is getting out of control. In the downtown area of my city, these guys (nutty christians) sometimes hold demonstrations on loud speakers while holding up pictures of dead aborted fetuses. They also preach hate speaches directed towards our homosexual youth. Enough is enough. There should be a law that bans such activity.
You mean a law that would override our freedom of speach? I don't think so!

BTW, are you offended also by those schools that show people in car crashes who don't use safety belts? That's the same thing, showing what will happen to you if you are not prepared for the worst!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
It is written: "It is appointed unto man once to die and then the judgement."

So, there will be no time once you die to repent of your evil ways. No stopping at the pearly gates to chat with saint Peter!
My post was in jest to the the member I quoted...I figured that was obvious.

There is no "Hell", and there is no "standing trial", after you die...that's stuff evil men on a quest for money and power, made up and polluted the Bible with, in an attempt to control people.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:45 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,115,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
You mean a law that would override our freedom of speach? I don't think so!

BTW, are you offended also by those schools that show people in car crashes who don't use safety belts? That's the same thing, showing what will happen to you if you are not prepared for the worst!
You are more of a free thinker than I thought you were.
So you wouldn’t mind if people supporting gays carried signs showing men having gay sex?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality