Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:14 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,636 times

Advertisements

80 to 90% of the worlds people going to go to hell?
Also, if he knows (according to scripture) who will accept him and who wont...
and if he his almighty and in control....
doesn't that seem like he is choosing which ones will be going to heaven and which ones will be going to hell before one is born?
Getting back to the 80 to 90% part: I would assume that only 20% of the WORLD (not US) population follow Christ like say, Billy Graham, etc...
if accepting Jesus as lord and savior is the only way to heaven, according to the bible, where does that leave the other 80% of the world?
I'm not sure if it's 80%, especially when you take the Bible saying "I will never forsake you", into play, but I think I can confidently say, the majority of folks in the world are not "born again Christians".....
so therefore, most of the world, maybe as high as 80% are going to hell? I thought God was a loving God.
I'm not saying I think the way I've posted this thread, however, these are a few things, I've heard from folks in "Christianity debates"............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 11:12 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Not all Christians believe non-Christians inevitably go to Hell. I think in some forms of Orthodoxy they believe John the Baptist, or an angel maybe, informs you of Christ et alia than you make your decision. In Mormonism, granted many don't count them as Christian, they have posthumous baptism. In Catholicism non-Christians go to Limbo or may go to Heaven in cases of "invincible ignorance." In Jehovah's Witness thought, as I recall it, there is no Hell and instead the bad or faithless simply die without an afterlife. In liberal Protestantism hardly anyone goes to Hell or Hell doesn't exist or all religions are in some way valid or forgivable.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:00 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
In the over - churned 'Problem of evil' debate, there seem to be two lines

(1) try to minimise or eliminate Hell or make it 'separation from God'...and say it's all our fault.

(2) bite the bullet and say we deserve it..and it's all our fault.

In the end, as I said before, without Hell, there is no compulsion in religion. Even if one talks of 'separation' from God or just missing out on heaven, I'd say that, if what we are threatened with is no worse than we get here, it is no threat or loss and, if it is, then it is a Hell - threat in some form.

Neither do I buy it that it is is all our fault. If any such 'hell threat' exists it is only because God says so. He set up the situation, He made the conditions, He can undo them instantly. We are as we've been made and yes, the clay can dictate to the potter.

I know, as I have done pottery and it is called 'clay remembers' and what that means is that clay acts according to its nature. If you mess it up there is no -one to blame but the potter. 'Free will' is still what God set up. It does not work even as a crafty way of trying to shift responsibility for what God arranged from first to last onto US. Axiom: 'Free will does not get God off the hook'.

This is not of course accusing God. I do not think there are any gods and absolutely do not believe in the god of the Bible. I am saying that the theology about God and what we think about his motives and actions do not stack up, and I know this bothers many believers as deconverts have said that the problem of evil was one of the things that bothered them most.

I know the believers are going to say it makes perfect sense or, Kdbrick - like 'They have no problem with it'. But to those who don't believe, the explanation absolutely does not explain.

P.s I'm still looking for a chance to try that hell - threat experiment.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-10-2010 at 02:07 AM.. Reason: Ooohh...a P. s

Old 08-10-2010, 02:24 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
80 to 90% of the worlds people going to go to hell?
Also, if he knows (according to scripture) who will accept him and who wont...
and if he his almighty and in control....
doesn't that seem like he is choosing which ones will be going to heaven and which ones will be going to hell before one is born?
Getting back to the 80 to 90% part: I would assume that only 20% of the WORLD (not US) population follow Christ like say, Billy Graham, etc...
if accepting Jesus as lord and savior is the only way to heaven, according to the bible, where does that leave the other 80% of the world?
I'm not sure if it's 80%, especially when you take the Bible saying "I will never forsake you", into play, but I think I can confidently say, the majority of folks in the world are not "born again Christians".....
so therefore, most of the world, maybe as high as 80% are going to hell? I thought God was a loving God.
I'm not saying I think the way I've posted this thread, however, these are a few things, I've heard from folks in "Christianity debates"............
Here is an excellent article by one of my favorite Christian websites explaining down to a tee why he believes half the world is possibly going to hell. It should answer all your questions.

Billions of people are going to Hell

Now do I think half the world is going to hell? Probably. This world has strayed so far. We are WORSE than those of the days of Noah. I'm not trying to be rude or anything. But I try to face facts. It's not going to be easy on this living generation of the world. This is a very stubborn, evil, and self centered generation. But thankfully as many that will not accept God now, they will be given second chances after the rapture. Provided death does not meet them first. God is very loving. He created us and set up life a certain way. We rebel against him and totally desecrate how he made things, you better believe he's not going to tolerate it! If your parent's didn't put up with your BS, what on Earth makes you think God will?! Especially with you as a adult with free will which he gave you! You do the crime, you do the time. Don't blame God if you end up wherever you end up after this life because you heard the Gospel enough to be talking about it now and you blatantly refused. You did not want salvation. So that's completely on you. You have a chance to have eternal life NOW, NOW is the time. Not later. Not when your on your death bed. Now is the time to repent and become saved because there is a literal spiritual clock ticking for the time Jesus returns, and you don't have much time. Get your inheritance and stop playing around!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:10 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
I can only say, Allen, old pal, that I do not believe ANY of that. The Bible is unbelievable, Hell - threat childish and the idea that things are always getting worse thanks to increased godlessness (I thought Christianity was the fastest - growing belief in the world?) overdone. The way I see it is that the evils done (I am not naming names or organizations right now) are now being exposed after decades of keeping under wraps so everyone believed it was all sweet and the administration was doing a great job.

Bible-threats and exhortations is what we don't need. What we need it to stop the 'Us and them' mentality, pull together, stop fighting over oil, ideology and identity and try to minimize the problems brought about either my ourselves or by the earth's crust thoughtlessly doing what it does - moving.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
What about a sizable portion of the world population who have never even heard of Christianity? all going to hell?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:51 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What about a sizable portion of the world population who have never even heard of Christianity? all going to hell?
Personally, I don't believe that for a second. Oh wait...I almost forgot! I'm Jewish. That doesn't give me a vote on the subject, does it?

Old 08-10-2010, 03:15 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Not all Christians believe non-Christians inevitably go to Hell. I think in some forms of Orthodoxy they believe John the Baptist, or an angel maybe, informs you of Christ et alia than you make your decision.
So really, only stupid people go to Hell? I mean, you'd have to be pretty dim to find yourself dead, be confronted by an angel or Johnny the Baptist and still say 'Don't believe ya'.

Last edited by Rafius; 08-10-2010 at 03:36 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 03:27 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,636 times
A few posters are missing the point.....
why would such a loving God provide only 1 way to heaven, that most of the worlds people don't subscribe to, even if they have heard of it?

Old 08-10-2010, 03:34 PM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
If, according to the Christian faith, God is so loving, kind and gentle, why are.....
those of us that have already said "Not interested" subjected to acres of repetitive scripture on internet discussion forums?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality