Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:27 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times

Advertisements

What lengths of utter stupidity has humanity finally sunk to when we reference a 1980's television show about a talking car to dictate our philosophical ideals?! I wonder if twenty years from now we can reference American Idol and the competition involving it to explain survival of the fittest? Perhaps instead of Nietzsche we can reference the latest episode of House to get a better understanding of nihilism? In order to come across some truly profound and deep political thinking, we should do away with the works of people like Locke, Smith, and Hobbes and focus on episodes of 24 and The West Wing.

Perhaps we can take things a step further and not just examine the philosophical implications of television but we can use it as a complete educational tool. Instead of teaching health and gym class in high school, we can just show episodes of The Biggest Loser. In science class, we can just show a few episodes of the sitcom The Big Bang Theory. Oh, and we mustn't forget that history should be taught with HBO shows like The Tutors or Showtime's Spartacus.

Reading books could well be eradicated as well. Everyone knows that any book worth reading almost always has a movie to go along with it where any moral or philosophical ideas can be visually extracted rather than read and interpreted via a critical wavelength of thinking.

We can learn all sorts of things from our nightly television programming. We can get a better idea of the Golden Age of the 50's by examining I Love Lucy and her struggle with Desi as a subjugated wife working towards a better women's suffrage movement. We can perhaps better understand decades like the 70's by watching shows such as That 70's Show.

We could build forth entire armies of young innovators and inventors by showing re-runs of Macgyver at places like MIT, Cal Tech, and Harvard.

ER doctors in training can simply learn how to perform critical and lifesaving operations by watching none other than the show ER.

In a final coup d'etat of all of our intellect and knowledge, we can just plop our fat asses on the couch every night and watch re-runs of MTV's The Real World to get a better idea of the sociological impact of several people who all have different personalities and what they do when put together in an RV or very nice house. This could far surpass any Stanford, Harvard, or Princeton sociological study.

Kudos to the brilliant minds who garner their intellectual prosperity from such wondrous avenues as 80's television! I'm sure every philosopher worth his weight is stooped over in awe at the philosophical implications of one episode of Knight Rider shown some 25-30 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 04:32 PM

454 posts, read 498,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

What lengths of utter stupidity has humanity finally sunk to when we reference a 1980's television show about a talking car to dictate our philosophical ideals?! I wonder if twenty years from now we can reference American Idol and the competition involving it to explain survival of the fittest? Perhaps instead of Nietzsche we can reference the latest episode of House to get a better understanding of nihilism? In order to come across some truly profound and deep political thinking, we should do away with the works of people like Locke, Smith, and Hobbes and focus on episodes of 24 and The West Wing.

Perhaps we can take things a step further and not just examine the philosophical implications of television but we can use it as a complete educational tool. Instead of teaching health and gym class in high school, we can just show episodes of The Biggest Loser. In science class, we can just show a few episodes of the sitcom The Big Bang Theory. Oh, and we mustn't forget that history should be taught with HBO shows like The Tutors or Showtime's Spartacus.

Reading books could well be eradicated as well. Everyone knows that any book worth reading almost always has a movie to go along with it where any moral or philosophical ideas can be visually extracted rather than read and interpreted via a critical wavelength of thinking.

We can learn all sorts of things from our nightly television programming. We can get a better idea of the Golden Age of the 50's by examining I Love Lucy and her struggle with Desi as a subjugated wife working towards a better women's suffrage movement. We can perhaps better understand decades like the 70's by watching shows such as That 70's Show.

We could build forth entire armies of young innovators and inventors by showing re-runs of Macgyver at places like MIT, Cal Tech, and Harvard.

ER doctors in training can simply learn how to perform critical and lifesaving operations by watching none other than the show ER.

In a final coup d'etat of all of our intellect and knowledge, we can just plop our fat asses on the couch every night and watch re-runs of MTV's The Real World to get a better idea of the sociological impact of several people who all have different personalities and what they do when put together in an RV or very nice house. This could far surpass any Stanford, Harvard, or Princeton sociological study.

Kudos to the brilliant minds who garner their intellectual prosperity from such wondrous avenues as 80's television! I'm sure every philosopher worth his weight is stooped over in awe at the philosophical implications of one episode of Knight Rider shown some 25-30 years ago.
Did you watch the episode I referenced?

LOL!

Old 08-12-2010, 06:06 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I actually like it. I've noticed that when Christians see that video, they don't just find it creepy, but seem to be genuinely horrified by it (at least the ones I've shown it to). If you read Mark Twain's actual story The Mysterious Stranger it's not quite the same.

When I was a kid, "The Dark Crystal" freaked me out more than anything. I had serious nightmares about it on a regular basis. And I wasn't afraid of the bad guys, but these little critters:

Ugh, it actually made me a little sick to my stomach just posting that picture.
They look like trannies.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
They look like trannies.
I think it bothers me because they kind of look human, but not quite. And they kind of look like children, but also a little like goats. Horrifying. Interestingly, I own this movie.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:14 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I think it bothers me because they kind of look human, but not quite. And they kind of look like children, but also a little like goats. Horrifying. Interestingly, I own this movie.
Is it like watching a car wreck? You just can't bring yourself to look away.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:21 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Is it like watching a car wreck? You just can't bring yourself to look away.
I actually purchased the movie a couple of years ago for two reasons:

1. Most people I know who had seen it said it was pretty good (it's not, IMO)

2. I thought perhaps by watching it, I could overcome my childhood fear of these characters. (I didn't...well, not entirely at least)

If I were to choose a favorite early 80s children's movie, I'd pick The Secret of NIMH over this any day. It has it's dark moments without making me nauseous with fright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality