Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:15 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say reading the unending thread headers about psychobabble from the Bible, ranting from the Koran, random anti-something bashing, and the rare intellectually stimulating thread makes me think this is better than an acid trip!

Keep it up, you religious peoples you. You entertain me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 09:41 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Just wanted to say reading the unending thread headers about psychobabble from the Bible, ranting from the Koran, random anti-something bashing, and the rare intellectually stimulating thread makes me think this is better than an acid trip!

I have had my chuckle for today.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:52 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:

yea, it's a lot like this :

YouTube - ‪Crazy Double Rainbow Guy- ORIGINAL‬‎

Old 08-09-2010, 02:03 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:

I'm wondering why you seem to think it's us "religious" people citing psychobabble when the majority of posters and thread starters here are Atheist. The General section is populated by Atheist. And they have their own section. And what kills me is that Atheist tend to think just because they are Atheist they are somehow more intelligent than everyone else and put us down but yet, all the threads they start, they want OUR uneducated and religious opinions. Otherwise their threads would be useless and boring.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:14 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm wondering why you seem to think it's us "religious" people citing psychobabble when the majority of posters and thread starters here are Atheist. The General section is populated by Atheist. And they have their own section. And what kills me is that Atheist tend to think just because they are Atheist they are somehow more intelligent than everyone else and put us down but yet, all the threads they start, they want OUR uneducated and religious opinions. Otherwise their threads would be useless and boring.
I wouldn't let it go to your head or anything. Some threads, IMO, are akin to a teacher purposefully calling on the least-prepared kid in the class, just to humiliate them in front of everyone.

Not nice, rarely educational, but it can be extremely amusing.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:17 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
I'm wondering why you seem to think it's us "religious" people citing psychobabble when the majority of posters and thread starters here are Atheist.
I have noticed that myself. Weird.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:46 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
As in most Theist opinion, there is a grain of truth in that, but it's completely skewed because theists do not understand the atheists mindset and don't listen even when we explain. But let me explain, anyway.

There is not much to talk about in atheism. Without theism, it wouldn't even exist. It is there only because of the theist insistence that religion is true, God is real and we all ought to believe it that we have to spend all this time being atheist.

We atheists think this religious belief is nonsense: untrue; and it is absurd in the present and last century that educated people should believe it.
But, thanks to 2,000 years of religious marketing, cajoling and coercion, we have many more theists than atheists, though probably not as little as the knee-jerk 8% figure you trotted out. So we have some work to do.

That, mate, is why we sit at our computers starting threads to try to make you bods think AND to stop any doubters who don't want to believe being brainwashed into it by the fallacious evangelist arguments.

We can only show those up by getting them talking. That's a hard job, because what we often get is someone who can have one after the other points made and it completely bounces off, like Roman6 or prefers to try to make tactical points like gldrule or have an irascible go at us, like yourself, my dear chum.

Intelligence isn't the factor. Mystic is a very intelligent fellow but I believe that a faith - based mindset has made him reject what we know as logical argument and sound evaluation of evidence because they will not give him the answers that he wants.

Axiom. Faith makes intelligent people look unintelligent and honest people look dishonest.

Yet, there's hope. Campbell42 is one of the most stubborn theists we have here, yet even he, after a couple of reposts, has dropped his East Gate prophecy claim, and it should be because it crashed and burned and he has now taken that on board. Gradually, the message is getting across.

Now you know why we do what we do.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:30 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Axiom. Faith makes intelligent people look unintelligent and honest people look dishonest.
That has to be one of the most condescending things I have ever heard. To who is the person with faith looking unintelligent to? Atheist? You are hardly 3% of world population. I don't see how it matters to us or the rest of the world for that matter, what you think we look like. That's like me saying you are empty and soulless inside because you don't have faith.

Quote:
Yet, there's hope. Campbell42 is one of the most stubborn theists we have here, yet even he, after a couple of reposts has dropped his East Gate prophecy claim, and it should be because it crashed and burned and he has now taken that on board. Gradually, the message is getting across.
Maybe I'm wrong but why do I get this feeling that some Atheist on here are on a quest to kill others faith? Either that or some are on here to merely argue with Christians sort of as an act of revenge against their childhood evangelists or the current ones they are dealing with in real life. And C-D is the playground for it to happen. That's what I get from you guys sometimes. Because it makes no sense. Where is the common respect amongst each other? Some folk on here are older than my grandmother giving me sarcastic responses as if they are 8 year old children. It doesn't make any sense.

There's no message getting across to me. My beliefs haven't changed an OUNCE since the first day I came on this section of the forum. Not ONE ounce. It actually had made it stronger! I don't really know the whole ordeal with Campbell but, most of the Christians I know on this board are firmly planted in their beliefs with no budge even after talking with Atheists that claim they are more enlightened and educated in the sciences.

I preach the word of God because I want you to be saved and have eternal life in heaven. I am not on some quest to diminish everything you stand for and change your faith from science. You can be a believer in Christ and still be as passionate about science as you are now. There's no knowledge lost. You gain the greatest love of all and salvation.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

omg is that guy for real????? lolololol

Old 08-10-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
That has to be one of the most condescending things I have ever heard. To who is the person with faith looking unintelligent to? Atheist? You are hardly 3% of world population. I don't see how it matters to us or the rest of the world for that matter, what you think we look like. That's like me saying you are empty and soulless inside because you don't have faith.

Maybe I'm wrong but why do I get this feeling that some Atheist on here are on a quest to kill others faith? Either that or some are on here to merely argue with Christians sort of as an act of revenge against their childhood evangelists or the current ones they are dealing with in real life. And C-D is the playground for it to happen. That's what I get from you guys sometimes. Because it makes no sense. Where is the common respect amongst each other? Some folk on here are older than my grandmother giving me sarcastic responses as if they are 8 year old children. It doesn't make any sense.

There's no message getting across to me. My beliefs haven't changed an OUNCE since the first day I came on this section of the forum. Not ONE ounce. It actually had made it stronger! I don't really know the whole ordeal with Campbell but, most of the Christians I know on this board are firmly planted in their beliefs with no budge even after talking with Atheists that claim they are more enlightened and educated in the sciences.

I preach the word of God because I want you to be saved and have eternal life in heaven. I am not on some quest to diminish everything you stand for and change your faith from science. You can be a believer in Christ and still be as passionate about science as you are now. There's no knowledge lost. You gain the greatest love of all and salvation.
It is not just atheists who think some of the religious posters are WAY out there. I am not an atheist and I think sometimes some of the religious posts that come across are absolutely mind boggling.

What is insulting to me is your belief that you need to save me. I don't need to be saved. I have a faith tradition and its my path. I don't feel the need to save anyone because faith or non faith is a personal matter.

There are many religious people here who you would never see try to put there beliefs on any one else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality