Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:30 PM

396 posts, read 732,452 times

Advertisements

In a discussion on gay marriage here on C-D, the following comment was made by a member (I'm just copying/pasting, exactly as written):

Quote:
The BIBLE existed before the FIRST MARRIAGE BETWEEN {ADAM & EVE}....
Despite the multitude of conversations I've had wherein the bible was mentioned, I admit this is the first time I've ever heard the argument made that the bible existed prior to Adam & Eve. When I asked the poster to please elaborate, as I did not understand the logistics of this, the poster responded:

Quote:
The Bible Is GODS Instructions To Mankind and was written down in the HEAD of GOD before MEN Wrote It Down On Paper.....
I tried to get further information from the poster, but they have thus far declined to respond.

So I'm asking here, where I understand there are many people familiar with the bible and who likely have more knowledge of it than I do... is this a commonly held belief? That God basically had the bible written mentally before Adam & Eve and later passed it on to men (divine inspiration) to be written down on paper?

Is there anyone who believes this who is in a position to discuss with me the logistics of this? Including the implications of this as it relates to the concept of free will?

I'd be glad to have the discussion privately if this topic is too inflammatory for the forum... I honestly don't mean it to be... I really had never heard this argument before and I find myself very confused by the idea.

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 04:59 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,679 times
I dont understand how the bible couldve existed before adam and eve. From what i understand God used certain people to write the bible and it was written over a long period of time. so how could it have been written if there was no one to write it? thats my understanding anyways. i guess im as confused as you on this.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:10 PM

331 posts, read 498,740 times
The Bible didn't exist before Adam and Eve. Genesis is a narrative, which I think could've been written after the fact. God might have had the idea beforehand, but none of it was written before the prophets wrote it. Besides, Adam and Eve are never mentioned as having read the Bible, and don't you think they would've if it were there?

Old 08-12-2010, 06:15 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Maybe god jotted down some notes while he was creating. Could it be that those notes eventually became the source for the bible?

Old 08-13-2010, 08:24 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Maybe you didn't get any further responses from that poster because his or her assertion was completely off base in the first place.

A book in physical existence before there were any people...that wouldn't even make it in an Abbott & Costello script! ("Who's on first?" "I AM THE LORD!" Not good comedy).

Old 08-13-2010, 08:51 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Puts on Christian believer hat.

The word of God existed before man was created.

After man was created, the Word was written in the form of the Bible.

Not even Roman6 could argue that the Gospels were written before the 1st century but, certainly, theology implies that the knowledge of what was going to be in the gospels existed in the mind of God before He even said 'Never mind that the sun isn't ready yet - Lights! Sound!! Action!!".

In that sense - in unwritten form, certainly the Bible existed before Adam. For that matter, so did the Quran, the Book of Mormon and 'Harry Potter and the money - spinner'.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:12 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
In a discussion on gay marriage here on C-D, the following comment was made by a member (I'm just copying/pasting, exactly as written):

Despite the multitude of conversations I've had wherein the bible was mentioned, I admit this is the first time I've ever heard the argument made that the bible existed prior to Adam & Eve. When I asked the poster to please elaborate, as I did not understand the logistics of this, the poster responded:

I tried to get further information from the poster, but they have thus far declined to respond.

So I'm asking here, where I understand there are many people familiar with the bible and who likely have more knowledge of it than I do... is this a commonly held belief? That God basically had the bible written mentally before Adam & Eve and later passed it on to men (divine inspiration) to be written down on paper?

Is there anyone who believes this who is in a position to discuss with me the logistics of this? Including the implications of this as it relates to the concept of free will?

I'd be glad to have the discussion privately if this topic is too inflammatory for the forum... I honestly don't mean it to be... I really had never heard this argument before and I find myself very confused by the idea.

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this subject.
I read the post you are referring to and it was kinda bizarre to say the least.

But then again, some people actually believe the earth is only 6000 years old, so....

Old 08-13-2010, 09:16 AM

180 posts, read 217,174 times
Well thinking in the state of delusion that we call christianity, I would say that god knew everything beforehand, he knew what the orginal text was and he knew what the text today would look like. He is omnipotent and omniscient , so whatever is , is what he wanted and he knew it before we began.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:18 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Puts on Christian believer hat.

The word of God existed before man was created.

After man was created, the Word was written in the form of the Bible.

Not even Roman6 could argue that the Gospels were written before the 1st century but, certainly, theology implies that the knowledge of what was going to be in the gospels existed in the mind of God before He even said 'Never mind that the sun isn't ready yet - Lights! Sound!! Action!!".

In that sense - in unwritten form, certainly the Bible existed before Adam. For that matter, so did the Quran, the Book of Mormon and 'Harry Potter and the money - spinner'.
I suppose it may come from a misunderstanding of "In the beginning was the Word". Where the original Greek used was "Logos"- which is not the same thing at all as the written "word" or Bible.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:46 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Either that or, like the 'Hitch - hiker's guide to the Galaxy', it was sent back through a time - warp to before the original idea for it was actually thought up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality