Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:19 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Thanks to conversion through Evangelism and Mission work.
Not to mention to the European colonialsm that it accompanied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 03:20 AM

454 posts, read 498,790 times
Default Ethiopians love Jesus Christ the Son of God.

Quote:
Below is an interesting link asking the same question? I too have often wondered why Black people were and are so gullible to embrace a religion which was imposed upon them by slavery.

Even today, it saddens me to see Christian Missionaries and Evangelists going into Africa recruiting black Africans to become Christians.

Is Christianity a White Man's Religion? - jswrite - RichardDawkins.net
I hope the following Scripture helps.

Acts 8:27-40
[27] And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,
[28] Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.
[29] Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
[30] And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
[31] And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
[32] The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
[33] In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
[34] And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
[35] Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
[36] And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
[37] And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
[38] And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
[39] And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.
[40] But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:53 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
What an excellent insight you've shared....Christians are always quick to judge and lambaste Muslims for their treatment of women....yet they neglect to mention or choose to ignore that their religion does not have a very high regard for women either. Although most completely ignore and do not follow that aspect of their religion...it is taught that they are to be in complete submission to their men, cannot teach men, be keepers at home, keep their mouths shut in church, are not supposed to wear makeup and jewelry, etc.
Really? I have been to Lutheran, Catholic, Church of God,
Baptist, Church of Christ, Methodist, Protestent, Southern
Baptist, and a couple others. That's all news to me.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:57 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Really? I have been to Lutheran, Catholic, Church of God,
Baptist, Church of Christ, Methodist, Protestent, Southern
Baptist, and a couple others. That's all news to me.
Your reading comprehension skills are lacking...read the sentence just before the bolded part...which says these bolded items are IGNORED but definitely in your bible.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:28 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
No. I would prefer that African people and people of all other races worship the God or Gods which were originally a part of their continents. Prior to the introduction of Christianity to Africa, the African people had their own tribal religions. Just as in Asia, South America, etc., they practiced their own ancient religions prior to the introduction of the Roman Catholic Church or Christianity.
Christianity originated in the Middle East and spread into Europe just as Christianity later spread from Europe into Africa and the Americas. Are you also advocating that descendants of the ancient Greeks and Romans revert to polytheism, since that was their original religion before Christianity? Should the rest of Europe revert to Pagan rituals? All of these places had ancient religions that existed prior to Christianity and Islam.. Even before Islam the Middle East had Zoroastrianism, which was similar in many ways to both Christianity and Islam. There were also polytheistic religions in the Middle East..

All of these ancient religions influenced modern religion. Perhaps a little less so for African religions outside of Northern Africa where there was more interaction with early Christians and Muslims alike. In some places tribal spiritual rituals are incorporated into Christian practices. In the Southern US you can witness a mild mix of Christianity with African spirituality in black churches.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:59 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I would think Christianity would have originally been the "brown" man's religion.
Yup! According to BBC, Jesus looked more like the guy on the right than on the left. Try getting people in the West to pray to a brown dude - it will be a marketing nigtmare. The marketing department had to bleach his skin, comb his hair, had to take off the carpenter garb and replace it with a white ironed silken gown, etc etc. I bet in the movies he does not have that arab accent either. It takes a lot of work to look "good" - even if you are the son of god and likely blessed with divine genes.

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | So what colour was Jesus?

Last edited by calmdude; 08-19-2010 at 05:23 PM..

Old 08-20-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Your reading comprehension skills are lacking...read the sentence just before the bolded part...which says these bolded items are IGNORED but definitely in your bible.
Old Testament.

The New Testament is more relevant to Christians.

To get back to the original post;
Jesus was a Jew, and his color was 'the color of the sands of the Earth'
That is how it was described to me.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:46 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Radical Islam thrives in lawless countries where the majority of the population is uneducated/illiterate. This is a recipe for disaster. Somalia is a perfect example. So, are only Christian mothers stay at home moms? I enjoyed not being a latchkey kid growing up. It kept me out of trouble and on the right path. There are no women priests because it is against Catholic church doctrine. As far as female pastors, while it is mostly a male profession, they do exist. I have been to several churches where a female led the congregation.
The overall point that you should be taking away from this is that fundamentalist religion, regardless of its name, thrives where the majority of the population is uneducated and even better when they are illiterate. Were you under the assumption that this was a trait unique to Islam, radical or otherwise?

You secured my point regarding the non-existent female priests.

As for occasional female pastors, we both know that this has been a recent revelation within the church and even still, they remain few and far between.

How about the fact that in a Christian society such as ours, a woman receives more than 30 cents less on the dollar for the exact same work/load as their male counterpart?

We could really do this all night long...

Old 08-23-2010, 05:44 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Old Testament.

The New Testament is more relevant to Christians.

To get back to the original post;
Jesus was a Jew, and his color was 'the color of the sands of the Earth'
That is how it was described to me.
Dude...I think you are confusing my post with someone elses....I was discussing the NT treatment of women...not what color Jesus was.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:49 AM

Wink Is Christianity A White Man's Religion?

Quote:
Dude...I think you are confusing my post with someone elses....I was discussing the NT treatment of women...not what color Jesus was.
Oh, I am sorry, I thought I was responding to
the Opening Post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality