Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 04:55 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times

Advertisements

This country spends hundreds of billions of dollars each year for the privilege of watching the NFL, the NBA, the NHA, the MLB etc. while nearly a billion people in the world are starving to death or suffering from malnutrition, by default most of them children.

If they were honestly carrying out their charge from no less than Jesus himself is this even within the realm of possibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 05:26 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
This country spends hundreds of billions of dollars each year for the privilege of watching the NFL, the NBA, the NHA, the MLB etc. while nearly a billion people in the world are starving to death or suffering from malnutrition, by default most of them children.

If they were honestly carrying out their charge from no less than Jesus himself is this even within the realm of possibility?
Just curious. What have you done for the starving children of the world lately?

I ask this because my church does help starving people. I don't think atheists are exempt when it comes to compassion.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Just curious. What have you done for the starving children of the world lately?

I ask this because my church does help starving people. I don't think atheists are exempt when it comes to compassion.
Not that it has anything to do with the question in this topic but I give most of our charitable gifts to the Salavation Army and UNICEF. That way none of it gets spent for oak or mahagony pews, expensive carpeting, preacher expenses, stained glass windows, musical instruments, expensive sound systms, missionary trips(boondoggles) or brainwashing children with that 2000 year old Jewish fairy tale.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:41 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Not that it has anything to do with the question in this topic but I give most of our charitable gifts to the Salavation Army and UNICEF. That way none of it gets spent for oak or mahagony pews, expensive carpeting, preacher expenses, stained glass windows, musical instruments, expensive sound systms, missionary trips(boondoggles) or brainwashing children with that 2000 year old Jewish fairy tale.
Aaaaannnd we have a winner, folks!

Old 08-20-2010, 05:48 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
The answer is, no we're not a Christian nation. Where did you get the notion that we are one? Neither the Declaration of Independence, the Article of Confederacy, nor the Constitution state that we are a Christian nation.

The Constitution not only doesn't make mention of any gods, but it specifies a decree to keep religion and government seperate.
The USA has no official religion. Period.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:50 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,561 times
Quote:

I think it is possible. But I would scratch the Christian off of your thread topic and include all people not just religions.
My family and I donate plenty of time money and food to the community we live in. Althought I could spend more on more people it would drain my resourses and put me in the same position of the folks I'm helping, besides, I don't live to help everyone, only those closest to me and a few more.
If all who are able to help did help it would help.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The answer is, no we're not a Christian nation. Where did you get the notion that we are one? Neither the Declaration of Independence, the Article of Confederacy, nor the Constitution state that we are a Christian nation.

The Constitution not only doesn't make mention of any gods, but it specifies a decree to keep religion and government seperate.
Hey...I'm on your side. The Christians are the only ones who spread that myth about the U S being a Christian nation of Judea/Christian beginnings. Ain't So!!

Old 08-20-2010, 05:59 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

I think if we held the opinion that we are a nation of all religions and types of beliefs we would be enforcing our freedom of religion and not singling out one form/type of faith.
IMO, the comment, "We are not a nation of Christians" nullifies that faith where as expressing we are a nation of all faiths validates them, and validates all of them .

Old 08-20-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
I think if we held the opinion that we are a nation of all religions and types of beliefs we would be enforcing our freedom of religion and not singling out one form/type of faith.
IMO, the comment, "We are not a nation of Christians" nullifies that faith where as expressing we are a nation of all faiths validates them, and validates all of them .
Kinda...it validates the right to practice any of them. There is no validation of any faith. An atheist or agnostic is as valid as any of the others. Witchcraft can be practiced if nobody is physically harmed by it. Quite a turnaround from the late 1600's when they were still torturing and hanging them.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:28 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
You are aware the Salvation Army is a Christian denomination, right?

The Salvation Army: What We Believe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality