Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 02:20 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Ok you heard from him........ some might day hearing imaginary voices is a bit nuts...

There is no evidence of his existence...... The Bible does not count as it cannot even be proven....

I can avoid him because the messiah has not come yet....
Many years ago Jesus told me to pray for a job, I did. And as soon as I said the (A) of Amen, the the phone next to me began to ring. While I was still on my knees I picked up the phone. And the man on the other end of the line offered me a job, which I accepted. Another time Jesus spoke to me while I was right in the middle of a prayer. And He told me my wife was going to have a child. Four hours later my wife and I both discovered that she was pregnant. Another time I told Jesus I loved Him. Within a minute of my comment, a red balloon came down from high up in the sky, and almost hit me in the face. Yet I caught it in my hands. When I turned the balloon over, printed on the other side of the balloon were the words. "I LOVE YOU". There was nothing imaginary about what I experienced. And only someone who desires to dismiss Christ, would suggest there was. I have had a number of encounters with Christ. He is real, He is the Messiah, and He is coming back again.

The Old Testament tells you there was only a very narrow window of time that would allow for the coming of the Messiah. And after the temple in Jerusalem was destroyed by the Romans, that window was closed. If the prophecies of the Bible mean nothing to you, then you can believe whatever you want. However, your belief will only be based on personal opinions, and will be far removed from the authority of Gods Word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 02:26 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Many years ago Jesus told me to pray for a job, I did. And as soon as I said the (A) of Amen, the the phone next to me began to ring. While I was still on my knees I picked up the phone. And the man on the other end of the line offered me a job, which I accepted. Another time Jesus spoke to me while I was right in the middle of a prayer. And He told me my wife was going to have a child. Four hours later my wife and I both discovered that she was pregnant. Another time I told Jesus I loved Him. Within a minute of my comment, a red balloon came down from high up in the sky, and almost hit me in the face. Yet I caught it in my hands. When I turned the balloon over, printed on the other side of the balloon were the words. "I LOVE YOU". There was nothing imaginary about what I experienced. And only someone who desires to dismiss Christ, would suggest there was. I have had a number of encounters with Christ. He is real, He is the Messiah, and He is coming back again.

The Old Testament tells you there was only a very narrow window of time that would allow for the coming of the Messiah. And after the temple in Jerusalem was destroyed, that closed the window of time. If the prophecies of the Bible mean nothing to you, then you can believe whatever you want. However, your belief will only be based on personal opinions, and will be far removed from the authority of Gods Word.

The old testament is your book as is the new testament. It is not mine...
I neither believe in your Jesus nor Christianity.

What you say as a Christian means about as much to me as what Muslims say about their faith and Qur'an. I don't see you as right nor do I see them as right. Yet you both think you are right.......

I have a faith in G-d and my faith and tradition is what I look to...

That will never change....

The prophecies are from Christianity and I don't adhere to your faith.

I am interested in the Bible from my Jewish tradition and that is what I look to for knowledge..

Last edited by Jazzymom; 09-11-2010 at 02:50 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 02:52 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Are you even aware that the Old Testament stated that when the Jewish Messiah would appear, His own people would reject Him? Do you understand that the Old Testament stated that He would be betrayed for 30 pieces of silver? Do you understand that the Old Testament stated that when the Jewish Messiah would be put to death, He would die for the sins of many.
Do you understand that the NT was written with the OT prophecies in mind?

Old 09-11-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I have considered it and I consider it tosh simply because the fulfilment of all those Bible prophecies is claimed by....yeah, you guessed it....the Bible.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
The old testament is your book as is the new testament. It is not mine...
I neither believe in your Jesus nor Christianity.

What you say as a Christian means about as much to me as what Muslims say about their faith and Qur'an. I don't see you as right nor do I see them as right. Yet you both think you are right.......

I have a faith in G-d and my faith and tradition is what I look to...

That will never change....

The prophecies are from Christianity and I don't adhere to your faith.

I am interested in the Bible from my Jewish tradition and that is what I look to for knowledge..

The prophecies are from the Jewish faith, and that is because they are found in the Jewish Old Testament. They are found fulfilled in the New Testament. However the orginal prophecies are first found in the Jewish Old Testament. And it should be no surprise that you reject Christ as the Messiah. Because the Jewish Old Testament tells us the Jewish people would reject their Messiah. And that is why Jesus tells us the traditions of men have made the Word of God null and void. I believe it is because of your traditions, that Gods Word and His prophecies have become null and void to you. If you are really intrested in the Bible, you should also be interested in the Jewish prophecies found in the same Book. The Jewish Old Testament tells us that when the Messiah returns, the Jewish people are going to be very upset, especially when they discover who their Messiah is. Why is that?

Zechariah 12:10

And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: AND THEY SHALL LOOK UPON ME WHO THEY HAVE PIERCED, AND THEY SHALL MOURN FOR HIM, AS ONE MOURNETH FOR HIS ONLY SON, AND SHALL BE IN BITTERNESS FOR HIM, AS ONE THAT IS IN BITTERNESS FOR HIS FIRSTBORN.

Why the bitterness, why are these Jewish people so upset when they see their Messiah?

Old 09-11-2010, 03:31 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default Ooopppsss....

Seems that Tom didn't bother to look up that word (UNAMBIGUOUS) did he?

As for ballons popping him in the face, while at a birthday party? Outstanding Proof to be sure. (But I wonder if Tom knows that "Red" is the one true color of Satan. This red balloon was, truly, a message from The Devil, not God! Oh. My. God! Satan Loves Tom!

Q: Why doesn't God speak in simple, more straightforward and UNAMBIGUOUS ways? In other words: why does it always have to be "interpreted?"

Quote:
Ok you heard from him........ some might day hearing imaginary voices is a bit nuts...

There is no evidence of his existence...... The Bible does not count as it cannot even be proven....
Exactly. I have some books (Harry Potter, for instance, that a whole lot of Christians want to have banned or even better: burned. What ARE they so damned afraid of, one wonders....Causing young people too think critically? Like I did, starting at about 18 yrs old?)

BTW, Tom, I now thank that idiot minister for rejecting my honest, open thoughtful questions. It made me realize the true basis for Christian beliefs.

Quote:
Another time I told Jesus I loved Him. Within a minute of my comment, a red balloon came down from high up in the sky, and almost hit me in the face. Yet I caught it in my hands. When I turned the balloon over, printed on the other side of the balloon were the words. "I LOVE YOU".

There was nothing imaginary about what I experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman
No, just what you concluded. It's more than clear that you choose to ONLY interpret things in a specific godly way, and that you reject any other, possibly even more likely, rationales.
And only someone who desires to dismiss Christ, would suggest there was. I have had a number of encounters with Christ. He is real, He is the Messiah, and He is coming back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfl
I don't "desire", I just see NO evidence. You know, of the UNAMBIGUOUS type?
The Old Testament tells you there was only a very narrow window of time that would allow for the coming of the Messiah. And after the temple in Jerusalem was destroyed by the Romans, that window was closed. If the prophecies of the Bible mean nothing to you, then you can believe whatever you want. However, your belief will only be based on personal opinions, and will be far removed from the authority of Gods Word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riflmn
Or, actually, what I do in fact prefer: beliefs based on facts and reliable documentation. The stuff you wake up shaking in fear of, Tom.

Hmmm, BTW, it seems you were also utterly and absolutely convinced that NAMI the SCAMMERS had abso-positively found The Ark, and would prove it all to us this now-past July or, well, maybe August..., in their well-publicized but still-born expedition, complete with vetted expert scientists. (tho' they turned down my heartfelt and honest offer to participate, of course... I was not interested in first providing the necessary financial down-payment and to cover my own travel expenses as well as some of theirs. What a bunch of felonous pikers.....)

All dead, all gone, and no answers now to any e-mails from anyone at their web-site.

So... is your current firm belief in absolute End Time prophecy just as well supported?
Since none of your beliefs or prophecies has UNAMBIGUOUSLY been fulfilled, ever, what are we to conclude. According to you and an endless stream of religious nuttball doom-and-gloom prophecy types, it all should have happened in THEIR generations, or their dads, or their dad's, etc., etc. back through historical times, but oddly, they all die, as will you, absent any of this claimed ET stuff ever happening. UNAMBIGUOUSLY of course.

(BTW, a future local war in the ME is just that, Tom. Not the officially sanctioned beginning-of-the-end you so desperately and pathologically hope for. In fact, what what did you say when the Six Days War or all those other localized and predictable (like clock-work) ME conflicts happened (the first Desert Storm, now over and done, and then the current conflict (which we will hopefully be out of in a few years) and soon, a rash of other local fracases. They will all start, run for a while and then die off, and everyone will go home just as they all have in the documented past, where you, no doubt, assured us alll that This Is It! Run for the Bomb Shelter!!)

Yup! They all surely signaled The Blessed End Times, until everyone went home to lick their wounds, and planned for yet another one in a few more years. They never end up destroying the entire world, despite your essentially sick desires.

How sad for you, going through life so sure that it's all going to end sooo very gloriously for you, and not for me, when you have, essentially, nothing but a bunch of selective beliefs to base it on, and yet nothing ever happens! Gawd!

Yet that clock inexorably tick-tocks on and on. Must make you kinda nervous that you, just like your parents and long-dead relatives, are not going to be the lucky generation.

Might I humbly suggest you investigate atheism? It's far more uplifting and doesn't rely on the thinking of others! I'm just sayin, 'cause I luvz yah, man!

Peace. Truth. And A Good Night's Sleep!

Old 09-11-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I have considered it and I consider it tosh simply because the fulfilment of all those Bible prophecies is claimed by....yeah, you guessed it....the Bible.
And yet there are other sources outside of the Bible that speak of the same fulfillment.

YouTube - The Case For Christ From Early Recorded Accounts-Lee Strobel

Old 09-11-2010, 03:46 PM

Wow! Lee Strobel!!! Excuse me just one moment....

Aaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!!!

Old 09-11-2010, 03:49 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Why doesn't God just show himself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
oh hell, I just might be around to see that happen...

Don't know that I would pull up a chair under a big oak and wait for it though.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:52 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default On First Blush....

Full of logical holes. Just one easy example I caught on my first review: this speaker mentions the scholarly work of some guy who worked on how long, typically, legends took to erase actual facts. He cites one case, and some very generalized findings, but then he rather conveniently conflates and applies it with the actual tales surrounding biblical writings. This is an illogical and disallowed ploy; to make an obtuse statement that obliquely references some other unrelated study, and to then automatically assume it applies to everything the speaker talks about.

Of course, his audience DESPERATELY WANTS to believe his every word, so they assume he's just made a very academically correct point, when in fact it fell on it's face right from the get go. It did not apply, it was illogical, and it was an obvious lie intended to gloss over the truth.

So, First Score point: The Speaker: Zero; The Truth: One.

Let's go on, shall we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality