Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:20 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,469 times

Advertisements

It was my perception that I had more experiences with the Spirit of the Lord than most. On countless, various occasions I felt the warmth of the Spirit in my chest, peace in my heart and mind, overwhelming love, what I can only describe as a brightness and clarity in thought, a sure confidence, a connection with God that was so real that it approached tangibility, a knowledge that God was my friend and father, excited joy, a passion for helping the Lord prepare for his Second Coming, a sense of the immensity and beauty of God's plan, heart-aching in prayers, crying out of amazement and gratitude, I sometimes sensed that certain things would happen before they did, I miraculously got unexpected scholarship checks when I needed them, etc. I knew and loved the holy scriptures.

I really believed I knew God and had an intimate relationship with Him. And guess what? Now I am an atheist. I experienced most everything a devout believer has experienced and now I completely believe I misinterpreted it all. The raw experiences were real and I did have them, but the interpretations I gave those raw experiences were mistaken.

I know many more people like me. Former believers who were certain that they had experienced God and knew Him personally and are now atheists.
I felt what I used to call the Spirit many times, I now feel forced by the evidence to have to think differently about those powerful experiences. I now believe that those experiences are produced entirely by the biological brain.

Experiences are always vulnerable to reinterpretation when we adopt a new perspective. So, the argument that "if you had only experienced what I have experienced, then you'd believe" does not have any validity for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 PM

465 posts, read 528,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
It was my perception that I had more experiences with the Spirit of the Lord than most. On countless, various occasions I felt the warmth of the Spirit in my chest, peace in my heart and mind, overwhelming love, what I can only describe as a brightness and clarity in thought, a sure confidence, a connection with God that was so real that it approached tangibility, a knowledge that God was my friend and father, excited joy, a passion for helping the Lord prepare for his Second Coming, a sense of the immensity and beauty of God's plan, heart-aching in prayers, crying out of amazement and gratitude, I sometimes sensed that certain things would happen before they did, I miraculously got unexpected scholarship checks when I needed them, etc. I knew and loved the holy scriptures.

I really believed I knew God and had an intimate relationship with Him. And guess what? Now I am an atheist. I experienced most everything a devout believer has experienced and now I completely believe I misinterpreted it all. The raw experiences were real and I did have them, but the interpretations I gave those raw experiences were mistaken.

I know many more people like me. Former believers who were certain that they had experienced God and knew Him personally and are now atheists.
I felt what I used to call the Spirit many times, I now feel forced by the evidence to have to think differently about those powerful experiences. I now believe that those experiences are produced entirely by the biological brain.

Experiences are always vulnerable to reinterpretation when we adopt a new perspective. So, the argument that "if you had only experienced what I have experienced, then you'd believe" does not have any validity for me.
Agreed.

I realized that especially in church, music was always needed to feel this presence. It's an effective tool at swaying the masses.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:38 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
So, at what point is a person considered insane for hearing or seeing things that the rest of use can’t see or hear?
Ask the Artist, Photgrapher or Musican that question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I now feel forced by the evidence to have to think differently about those powerful experiences. I now believe that those experiences are produced entirely by the biological brain.

Sorry for your loss. Too bad you let people talk you out of what you knew was true.

Last edited by Mr5150; 08-23-2010 at 09:47 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 09:51 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman
So, at what point is a person considered insane for hearing or seeing things that the rest of use can’t see or hear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Ask the Artist or Musican that question.

We all make choices. I'm sorry.

This is one of my marble scultures.
It came from my imagination.
Therefore your saying your feelings of the Holy spirit are from your imagination?

Old 08-23-2010, 09:59 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Therefore your saying your feelings of the Holy spirit are from your imagination?
Nope.
But your work is very good.

I do see fear and uncertainty in the eyes and mouth. A bit of pensiveness.

What is the feeling behind the work? What is it saying?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:14 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
How is an atheist trying to convince a Christian of atheism any different from a Christian trying to convert an atheist to Christianity? I, personally, have never tried to get anyone to give up their faith. I have no problems with people being religious - as long as they respect my beliefs as well. I've never told anyone to believe what I do - however, I have been told by numerous people that I should follow their truth and find Jesus. I've been told repeatedly that I will burn in hell, that I am wicked, that I am lost, etc. To be perfectly honest with you - most of the time it doesn't really phase me. I'm comfortable in my own beliefs. But - what is so different about it being the other way around?
I think this is why I get along with you better than most here of either perspective. I think you and I are among the few not trying to convert anyone to anything.

Downside of that I suppose is that you kind of risk being misunderstood. I imagine there are people who think I'm trying to convert people and maybe you've experienced the same. Although I can see how your situation is maybe worse as you're more of a minority where you're at. Down in rural Northwest Arkansas being Catholic was as bad or maybe worse than atheist, so long as they weren't baptized yet (they don't practice infant baptism) an atheist could sometimes just be seen as "lapsed", but I haven't lived there since I was a baby.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 PM

454 posts, read 498,709 times
Quote:
Nope.

Extremely bad hair day.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:22 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
On a different matter I'm interested to know why some atheists here seem to believe that discrediting "The Bible God", as you believed you've done, inevitably means being an atheist? Couldn't someone believe in some other kind of God, including some other kind of theist God? (I believe skeptic Martin Gardner classed himself as a "philosophical theist" of no specific religion.) And what, if anything, would you say to such a person?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:25 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think this is why I get along with you better than most here of either perspective. I think you and I are among the few not trying to convert anyone to anything.

Downside of that I suppose is that you kind of risk being misunderstood. I imagine there are people who think I'm trying to convert people and maybe you've experienced the same. Although I can see how your situation is maybe worse as you're more of a minority where you're at. Down in rural Northwest Arkansas being Catholic was as bad or maybe worse than atheist, so long as they weren't baptized yet (they don't practice infant baptism) an atheist could sometimes just be seen as "lapsed", but I haven't lived there since I was a baby.
I agree that this is why we get along so well!
I think I am misunderstood on this forum sometimes - but face to face - I usually get along really well with everyone - even the extremely religious. Oh - and I'm not much of a minority in New York! I'd say that most people are either not religious or mildly religious. There aren't a lot of hard core religious people around - not that I know of, anyway.
Do you have a southern accent? I just can't picture that!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:37 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,881 times
Quote:
Nope.

You are correct, it is fear and uncertainty.
Notice the title. “Dying Kingdom”
Along with the destruction of the rain forest there is also the destruction of its inhabitance.

But just because I may have a good imagination and can clearly visualize things in my mind does not make them real.
I think some people must get there imagination confused with reality.
I could imagine what a god would look like and could even imagine a god talking to me. But I would realize it was me making up the image and story.

As a wise man once said. “Reality is fine, I can deal with it.”

Now I need some sleep

Cheers and good night all

Remember, Just be a good person and don't worry about the hereafter.
And you'll sleep much better not worrying about hells or gods. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality