Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:33 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,621,412 times

Advertisements

There's no question that the most controversial and emotional issue in American society is abortion. I don't want to get into the legalities or pros and cons of abortion on this thread, but I know a few of you have voiced strong opinions about the subject. When you really think about it, no one really wants abortions, and the women who have chosen to have them have made a difficult decision. Ok, this is my basic position. Shouldn't young men and women be as knowledgeable as possible about sexual issues and don't well informed people generally make better decisions? Of course they do. Shouldn't they be presented with information about all of the ramifications of sexuality activity including AIDS, STD's, pregnancy and all of the precautions they should be taking if they do choose to be sexually active? Absolutely. Knowledge is always better than ignorance. Then why on earth do so many religious organizations as well as private citizens oppose sex education and knowledge of birth control? There's no question that many young people are going to be sexually active and if they're at least educated enough to protect themselves against unwanted pregnancies and STD's it's unlikely that they'll be visiting an abortion clinic. For those of you who oppose abortion, why aren't you making sure that schools are doing an adequate job of sexual education? And when it comes right down to it, wouldn't you rather see a young woman who is sexually active using birth control as opposed to having an abortion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 08:37 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,215 times
Sex education in my home is one that promotes abstinence until marriage. It never occurred to my mother to preach 'safe sex' when she knew perfectly well that I intended not to have sex until I was married. To say 'but in case you do, here's a condom...' would have meant that she had little faith in my decision.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:56 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,266,175 times
Default Sex education in the schools

Interesting thread, as usual, Montana. I can't really speak for everyone who opposes education in the schools, but I do have some personal thoughts about the issue. I'm sure you heard about the recent debacle in Colorado. (If you're not familiar with what I'm referring to, I'm sure I or someone can enlighten you.) That was kind of "worst case scenario," but I think Christian parents have some concern that if the schools get into it, WHAT exactly is going to be taught to our children? It's difficult to get into this without some degree of bias one way or other. And I think all parents are pretty much fiercely protective about their children, and rightly so.

When my own son was in middle school, he brought home a paper from school that was a consent form to receive some sex education in their gym class. It invited the parents to call the coach if they had any questions. Well, to make a long story short, my husband was out of town, and I ended up having to call the coach and inquire about exactly what they planned to share (much to the chagrin of my son, I might add!) My son insisted that NO other parent would be making such a call! Well, let me just say that I wanted some specifics in some areas, and while I don't consider myself a "prudish" person, I had to ask this coach some questions that left me blushing about 2 weeks later!! I got off the phone and told one of my co-workers, "Nobody better ever say I don't love that kid!"

So....these are some of my personal reservations regarding sex education in the schools. Coupled with the fact that it's difficult to stress abstinence if you come off as "promoting" methods of birth control. It kinda leaves a double message.

And regarding some of your other questions, Montana, I oppose abortion strongly but I just don't think the "end justifies the means" here. (although I would add that obviously, I DID go ahead and let my son participate in this "educational" opportunity the school offered so I'm not totally opposed to it.)

Last edited by kaykay; 06-27-2007 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-27-2007, 09:00 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,643 times
My parents promoted abstinence, very strongly in fact. But my dad knew that I was young and male, so did make a point saying that if I made a mistake, be sure to use a condom. He didn't provide them to me though.

And he harped on and on about NOT making the mistake ...so the enphisis was on abstinence, for sure.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 AM

668 posts, read 681,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
My parents promoted abstinence, very strongly in fact. But my dad knew that I was young and male, so did make a point saying that if I made a mistake, be sure to use a condom. He didn't provide them to me though.

And he harped on and on about NOT making the mistake ...so the enphisis was on abstinence, for sure.
Amen bro, thats the way it should be done. The school I teach at preaches abstinence only. And many kids (even 7th graders) are ignoring that and getting pregnant.

Preach abstinence and preach it well. But "if you are stupid enough to still have sex, make sure your using protection", and then stress that protection does not always work!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:25 AM

I realize that many young women will remain virgins until they get married, but let's just be honest about this, they're the minority. Teenagers are going through a certain phase when they're hormones are kicking in and they're very aware of the opposite sex. When I was a teenager the only thing that could have stopped me from thinking about sex would have been a shotgun blast through my brain! It's just part of growing up.
For whatever reason, religious institutions are very conservative and have an especially difficult time in dealing with anything sexual. This attitude seems to have permeated the thinking of many religious individuals as well and I don't think it promotes a very healthy or realistic view of human sexuality. Sex often is seen as an evil desire that needs to be stopped. Sexual education is simply an explanation of how our bodies function in a sexual manner and some common sense instructions about safeguarding our own health. It shouldn't be any more controversial than a math class and it's something young people need to know. The young people who do engage in sexual activity should not be ignored. In fact, they're the ones who really need to get the message about the dangers and responsibilities of their behavior. If our society was well informed about sexual matters the problem with abortions would virtually disappear.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:35 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,215 times
Yes, we are inthe minority. But when you instill a love for God and a respect for his commandments in the minds of your children, as well as encouraging them not to be alone with the opposite sex, they can certainly manage. I did, my brother did, almost all of my friends did.

But you also have to be VERY open with your children about sex and the feelings they will experience and not let any natural shyness prevent you from that doing that. Because if you are not SOMEONE ELSE WILL BE. Kids have no problem talking about sex with each other and so parents need to be always aware of that. Also, you cannot allow them to think sex is wrong or evil or makes them 'dirty'. Sex is awesome (I just love it, myself ) and they need to be aware of how beautiful a thing it is...inside the marriage arrangment.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:42 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,266,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I realize that many young women will remain virgins until they get married, but let's just be honest about this, they're the minority. Teenagers are going through a certain phase when they're hormones are kicking in and they're very aware of the opposite sex. When I was a teenager the only thing that could have stopped me from thinking about sex would have been a shotgun blast through my brain! It's just part of growing up.
For whatever reason, religious institutions are very conservative and have an especially difficult time in dealing with anything sexual. This attitude seems to have permeated the thinking of many religious individuals as well and I don't think it promotes a very healthy or realistic view of human sexuality. Sex often is seen as an evil desire that needs to be stopped. Sexual education is simply an explanation of how our bodies function in a sexual manner and some common sense instructions about safeguarding our own health. It shouldn't be any more controversial than a math class and it's something young people need to know. The young people who do engage in sexual activity should not be ignored. In fact, they're the ones who really need to get the message about the dangers and responsibilities of their behavior. If our society was well informed about sexual matters the problem with abortions would virtually disappear.
Maybe it shouldn't be controversial, Montana, but again, as I posted earlier, parents don't want their children instructed in moral issues and a lot of times it is extremely difficult to give information, alone, without sometime of moral bias. Again, the recent situation in Colorado illustrates this.

I would also say that many years ago I did volunteer counseling in a pro-life crisis pregnancy center and based on my experience there, I don't believe that the problem of abortion would virtually disappear with more education.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:07 PM

124 posts, read 396,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
Amen bro, thats the way it should be done. The school I teach at preaches abstinence only. And many kids (even 7th graders) are ignoring that and getting pregnant.

Preach abstinence and preach it well. But "if you are stupid enough to still have sex, make sure your using protection", and then stress that protection does not always work!
I assume you know that abstinence has been proven not to work. Congress just recently cut off funding to abstinence programs for that very reason. It may work for certain individuals but in the overall picture, it is a failure.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:43 PM

kaykay wrote:
Quote:
I would also say that many years ago I did volunteer counseling in a pro-life crisis pregnancy center and based on my experience there, I don't believe that the problem of abortion would virtually disappear with more education.
Well, maybe I was being overly optimistic but I'm certain that some abortions would be prevented. It's only logical. I know there's some controversies about sex education but the only one that makes any sense to me is the age of the kids who are going to the classes. I see no reason why grade school children need to go to a sex education class because they're just too young and immature. I think the right age is the age when young girls can become pregnant because some of them do become pregnant. That's when it makes sense. I also think some of the fears of a sex education class are greatly exaggerated. I don't think the teachers are really telling students they should go out and start having sex and here's how not to get pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality