Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 08:28 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times

Advertisements

It has been said by many an atheist: You worship a god, but which god is it? Then the atheist goes to make it "clear" that there are hundreds, if not thousands of gods out there. Are you sure you are worshipping the right God you ask?

True to a point, but this ruse really doesn't work for the Christian or other Monotheists.

The point missed is that Christians worship the God who created the Universe. It is that simple. For the monotheist it is a silly question and falls flat as ridicule. So just so you know. Not very effective. We worship the Creator of All (aka God)

Point to consider. God is huge and not fully understandable. Every Christian denomination has the basics down, but the details are too large for any one group to have it all. Thus the variations. I cannot speak for the Jews or other Monotheists. But we have 30,000 denominatons who worship the same God and agree on 95% of the understanding of God

OTOH for the polytheist, you have a valid point and it would not be taken as ridicule but rather as a valid question.

With that said, be advised to not waste your time using the "which God" arguement. It is not effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 08:35 PM

465 posts, read 528,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
It has been said by many an atheist: You worship a god, but which god is it? Then the atheist goes to make it "clear" that there are hundreds, if not thousands of gods out there. Are you sure you are worshipping the right God you ask?

True to a point, but this ruse really doesn't work for the Christian or other Monotheists.

The point missed is that Christians worship the God who created the Universe. It is that simple. For the monotheist it is a silly question and falls flat as ridicule. So just so you know. Not very effective. We worship the Creator of All (aka God)

Point to consider. God is huge and not fully understandable. Every Christian denomination has the basics down, but the details are too large for any one group to have it all. Thus the variations. I cannot speak for the Jews or other Monotheists. But we have 30,000 denominatons who worship the same God and agree on 95% of the understanding of God

OTOH for the polytheist, you have a valid point and it would not be taken as ridicule but rather as a valid question.

With that said, be advised to not waste your time using the "which God" arguement. It is not effective.
I still don't think you get it. Just saying "we worship the god of the universe" doesn't make it true. Just because it's written in a book doesn't make it true because it can't be verified by anyone. It's really quite simple.

Question...if there are 30,000 different denominations who all worship the same god, and these people all have the same supposed holy spirit, why should there even be a difference?

And it's not like each denomination is just a little bit different than the next. There are drastic variations from one to the next, and by each of their descriptions, you could question whether everyone was worshiping the same god.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
I There are drastic variations from one to the next, and by each of their descriptions, you could question whether everyone was worshiping the same god.
I think you need to define "drastic". Care to give some examples? Umm, Let's take three major denominations. OK? Lutheran, Presbyterian and Baptist. OK. Now tell me what they believe about Jesus and God. Tell me how they are "drastically different".

Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,993 times
Mr5150, I am not clear on what you are trying to say.
Do you believe that the Abrahamic religions are the only monotheist religions?

Old 08-24-2010, 10:15 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
I'm pretty sure that Muslims believe that Allah created the universe.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm pretty sure that Muslims believe that Allah created the universe.
Yep. My discussions is with atheists not Muslims. I have no quarrel with Musism on this theological point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I wasn't born yesterday.

Please progress to next step of your argument. (waiting for other known shoe to drop)

Old 08-24-2010, 10:33 PM

465 posts, read 528,786 times
Quote:
I think you need to define "drastic". Care to give some examples? Umm, Let's take three major denominations. OK? Lutheran, Presbyterian and Baptist. OK. Now tell me what they believe about Jesus and God. Tell me how they are "drastically different".
What type of Lutherans? Catholic, Evangelical, or Synod?

What type of Baptists? Southern, Independent, or the other 300 types?

I think you see where I'm going here.

My point is, if there is no drastic difference, or even slight differences, why have denominations in the first place? Obviously they all disagree to such an extent on what the bible communicates, to form their own denomination.

I will say that probably most DO believe in the basic christian tenants, but again, how does "objective truth" get so distorted to the point where there are 30,000 different ones?

I read about this in a book called "the Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails" where the author talked about a communication problem going on.

Now most christians would say that because we are fallen human beings, we mishear god. But that is ludicrous because it should be nothing for god to CLEARLY communicate what he wants. (as he supposedly did in the bible).

If Catholics are wrong in their doctrine according to most christians I've been around in my life, shouldn't God say something?

You would have to believe that he either purposely wants confusion, or he simply isn't there.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Quote:
I wasn't born yesterday.

Please progress to next step of your argument. (waiting for other known shoe to drop)
This was a serious question. Please answer it.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
So when does the discussion about the concept of "which god" begin, because so far all I've read is "we know god, and don't try to change our minds".

Old 08-24-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
What type of Lutherans? Catholic, Evangelical, or Synod?

What type of Baptists? Southern, Independent, or the other 300 types?

I think you see where I'm going here.

I think people need to state the perceived differences. Then we can discuss. To say there are differences means nothng without defining those differences.

OK how is this. How do Baptists (of any flavor) and Lutherans (of any flavor) see God differently? Or Jesus? The ball is in your court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality