Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:42 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Epiclesis
Epiclesis is an invocation of God to send the Holy Spirit to change the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ.

Specifically and unambiguously God is called on to transform the offering of bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ.
The Catholic Mass: The Rituals and Traditions
Thank you. I now have some queries, such as whether the transubstantiation can be done anywhere (such as Iwo Jima with a battle going on) or by anyone (such as in the Lunar module after the first steps on the moon, if the film was to be believed).

Old 08-25-2010, 02:56 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
There are no Catholics.

There are no Christians either. Just a bunch of scared people that claim to be "Christian" in some pathetic attempt at escaping Satan's BBQ grill. Most don't even realize that God and Jesus (if there ever were such people) can see through the average Christian's dishonesty and fear. I am NOT Christian because I no longer feel the need to lie (to myself and God) out of fear.
Yeah yeah, Edmund Campion and Oliver Plunkett were real scaredy cats, weren't they?

Old 08-25-2010, 03:25 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Yeah yeah, Edmund Campion and Oliver Plunkett were real scaredy cats, weren't they?
Edmund Campion was a fool who died needlessly. He was obviously more afraid of his God than he was of the Queen of England...That and his strong belief in an afterlife caused his death. Queen Elizabeth offered him wealth and freedom on the condition that he renounced his Catholic faith. He refused, thus committing suicide.

Oliver Plunkett was not offered the same choice and was a victim of the religious narrow minded atrocities that were prevalent in England at the time...The narrow mindedness is still with us, obviously, but people no longer get executed for belonging to the "wrong" church....At least not in civilized nations.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:27 PM

13 posts, read 15,607 times
My problem with catolics is they are not christians. the virgin mary was not a god and I disagree with roman. if catholics knew that the pope was not infallible then they would realize their error and become evangelists.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:31 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Edmund Campion was a fool who died needlessly. He was obviously more afraid of his God than he was of the Queen of England...That and his strong belief in an afterlife caused his death. Queen Elizabeth offered him wealth and freedom on the condition that he renounced his Catholic faith. He refused, thus committing suicide.

Oliver Plunkett was not offered the same choice and was a victim of the religious narrow minded atrocities that were prevalent in England at the time...The narrow mindedness is still with us, obviously, but people no longer get executed for belonging to the "wrong" church....At least not in civilized nations.
You are missing the point.

Regardless of whether one views the choices these men made as "foolish" or not, the fact remains, to voluntarily consent to be put to death in the most gruesome way takes courage far beyond what most people have.

Thus I find it a source of amusement when urbancharlotte describes Christians categorically as "scared people."

Old 08-25-2010, 03:36 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Threads that bash a particular denomination are CLOSED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality