Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
From a Christian perspective, faith comes first, & actions are a result. According to James 2, faith without actions is not real faith.
Yes - but I see so many people that have faith and don't have the actions. I know as a Christian that you would rather see someone with faith that doesn't do good deeds than a person with out faith who does do good deeds. I understand as a Christian that your faith is the most important thing. However, as a non-Christian - I would rather see people do good deeds whether they have faith or they don't. Perhaps, if there is a God - he spirit is in anyone who does good deeds - not just the religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 11:54 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yes - but I see so many people that have faith and don't have the actions. I know as a Christian that you would rather see someone with faith that doesn't do good deeds than a person with out faith who does do good deeds. I understand as a Christian that your faith is the most important thing. However, as a non-Christian - I would rather see people do good deeds whether they have faith or they don't. Perhaps, if there is a God - he spirit is in anyone who does good deeds - not just the religious.
You are mistaken about Christianity. Faith without actions is worthless, mere hot air.

On the other hand, according to the Bible, it is impossible to please God without faith. God will reward those who earnestly seek Him.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Faith without actions is worthless, mere hot air.

According to the Bible, it is impossible to please God without faith. God will reward those who earnestly seek Him.
All I can say is that I see that a whole lot.
Now, I'm not saying I'm any better or any worse than anyone else. But I try to be a good, kind, loving person. I may not have faith in God or Jesus, but I have faith in myself and my mother and my husband and my friends. I have faith in mankind as a whole.
You can judge people on whether they have faith in God or not - I cannot since I myself do not have faith in God. But I don't believe that faith in God is a choice - you can't fake faith. I feel that I would be a hypocrite if I professed to believe something that in my heart I do not believe.
I believe that regardless of faith - we should all try to be better people. We should all be kind and tolerant, loving and accepting, helpful and supportive.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Now, I'm not saying I'm any better or any worse than anyone else. But I try to be a good, kind, loving person. I may not have faith in God or Jesus, but I have faith in myself and my mother and my husband and my friends. I have faith in mankind as a whole.
You can judge people on whether they have faith in God or not - I cannot since I myself do not have faith in God. But I don't believe that faith in God is a choice - you can't fake faith. I feel that I would be a hypocrite if I professed to believe something that in my heart I do not believe.
I believe that regardless of faith - we should all try to be better people. We should all be kind and tolerant, loving and accepting, helpful and supportive.
How do you know they have faith? Do they just tell you? Do you then see them living wicked lives? Not sure what it is your really seeing.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:07 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93

Quote:
How do you know they have faith? Do they just tell you? Do you then see them living wicked lives? Not sure what it is your really seeing.

Dewdrop said "you" can judge people on whether they have faith or not, she CAN'T. Did you actually read her whole post?

Old 08-30-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93

Dewdrop said "you" can judge people on whether they have faith or not, she CAN'T. Did you actually read her whole post?
Yes I did. Did you? Read the first sentence. It contradicts your bolded.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Yes I did. Did you? Read the first sentence. It contradicts your bolded.
riginally Posted by Dewdrop93

I see a whole lot, A whole lot of what? No it does not.

it is very clearly stated that " I cannot judge since I do not have a faith"

Old 08-30-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
riginally Posted by Dewdrop93

I see a whole lot, A whole lot of what? No it does not.

it is very clearly stated that " I cannot judge since I do not have a faith"
She says she sees "faith without works" in many people. Sounds judgmental.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:55 PM

I see people that say they are good Christians that do not treat others kindly. That is what I meant. Now - I do not attempt to measure the faith of others and I am also not trying to be judgemental. If someone tells me they are a Christian - I take them at their word. And I'm not implying that Christians are bad people. I'm saying that people are people. Some do good things, some do not. Not all people with faith do good deeds and not all people with out faith are wicked. Well, personally, I would never characterize anyone as wicked. All that I am saying - is that I see people that do both good and bad things - and their faith is not an indication of their character.
I try not to judge anyone - but I do gravitate towards people that are loving and accepting - regardless of what they believe in. I have friends and family of all all creeds (and non creeds!).

Old 08-30-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
She says she sees "faith without works" in many people. Sounds judgmental.

Dewdrop was not judgmental in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality