Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 12:44 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,841,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I don't know about Gods that were whipped up within the last 10 years creating the Universe though. That wouldn't figure.
What about gods that were "whipped up" in the last 3,000 years? How do they figure in a Universe that is 14 billions years old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 12:45 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,359,501 times
agnostic means a god but very far removed.
so the answer is yes.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:48 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,223,203 times
Originally Posted by Rafius
Quote:
the 100% lack of belief in gods.
Uhm, isn't the 100% lack of belief in gods not the same as the knowledge that there are no gods?
In other words you don't believe, because you know.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:52 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,640,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I think it is possible to be a total agnostic, to just have no idea whether there is a god or not. An agnostic theist is one who doesn't know but either thinks or hopes that there is. IMO, nearly everyone with an open mind is just a bit of an agnostic, since there is no way to absolutely prove the existence or nonexistence of a god. Richard Dawkins leaves open an infintesimal possibility that there is. I'm an agnostic atheist myself. After all, I can't prove it either way, but it seems extremely unlikely. There doesn't seem to be any god worth worshipping "in control", considering what is going on on this benighted planet.
Obviously there are different levels of "Belief":
Theist
Agnostic--leaning toward Theism
Agnostic--with a 50/50 view
Agnostic--leaning toward Atheism
Atheist

Thus...I think "Agnostic Theist" is more accurately the "Agnostic--leaning toward Theism" mindset.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:02 AM

651 posts, read 1,416,179 times
Quote:
Obviously there are different levels of "Belief":
Theist
Agnostic--leaning toward Theism
Agnostic--with a 50/50 view
Agnostic--leaning toward Atheism
Atheist

Thus...I think "Agnostic Theist" is more accurately the "Agnostic--leaning toward Theism" mindset.
Most people use those terms in the manner you listed. In fact, up until a year ago I used them in that manner. However, gnosticism and theism have different meanings. Gnosticism addresses what you know and agnosticism addresses what you don't know. Theism addresses what you believe and atheism addresses what you don't believe. So, there are 4 categories:

Gnostic Theist: Knows there is a god and believes there is a god.

Agnostic Theist: Doesn't know if is a god but believes there is a god.

Gnostic Atheist: Knows there isn't a god and believes there isn't a god.

Agnostic Atheist: Doesn't know if there is a god but doesn't believe in a god.

Most of us don't fall exactly on one of these strict definitions. We all fall along a continum. As Sanspeur mentioned, Richard Dawkins attempted to define this continum.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
What about gods that were "whipped up" in the last 3,000 years? How do they figure in a Universe that is 14 billions years old?
I assume you mean Bible-God.

Logic would dictate any "Universe Creating God" would have to have been around longer than what was created.

So, the only way "Bible-God" cuts it as far as creation goes...is if He is considered to be metaphorical for the Universal Field that established(s) our, and all, existence.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 AM

33,518 posts, read 37,106,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes, that what I'm trying to explain here. You and I have no belief in the existence of gods. We are atheist. BUT, if we say that we are open to the possibility that gods DO exist...what does that make us?
That makes us honest.
Quote:
As I tried to explain earlier, it's not about whether the existence of gods can or can't be proven, it is about the 100% lack of belief in gods. That is how, perhaps incorrectly, I define atheism...the 100% lack of belief in gods. Now if I then say that I am going to believe that gods could exist, do I have a 100% lack of belief in gods?
I think you can still hold that belief, but allow for the very slim chance that you could be wrong.

Quote:
This is getting complicated!!
So, put yourself at number 7 on the scale of theism/atheism...Does it really matter?

Old 08-28-2010, 01:22 AM

33,518 posts, read 37,106,125 times
Quote:
Of course FSM (and IPUs) exist...the Atheists "invented" them so they would have some "Gods" to recognize.

I guess they didn't want to miss out on all the "fun".

I don't know about Gods that were whipped up within the last 10 years creating the Universe though. That wouldn't figure.

I also don't think FSM Bob Henderson has been too successful at getting the Pastafarians to tithe very reliably.

BTW...you can send the Mermaids to me...they are always "super hotties"...and that's my main field of expertise.
I must warn you, mermaids are rather smelly, and very hard to hold on to.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
Most people use those terms in the manner you listed. In fact, up until a year ago I used them in that manner. However, gnosticism and theism have different meanings. Gnosticism addresses what you know and agnosticism addresses what you don't know. Theism addresses what you believe and atheism addresses what you don't believe. So, there are 4 categories:

Gnostic Theist: Knows there is a god and believes there is a god.

Agnostic Theist: Doesn't know if is a god but believes there is a god.

Gnostic Atheist: Knows there isn't a god and believes there isn't a god.

Agnostic Atheist: Doesn't know if there is a god but doesn't believe in a god.

Most of us don't fall exactly on one of these strict definitions. We all fall along a continum. As Sanspeur mentioned, Richard Dawkins attempted to define this continum.
I see. Now I'm hip to the concept. It adds another "dimension".

Thanks for that Maia...something further for me to contemplate.

If I could only get the Hottie Mermaids out of my mind.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I must warn you, mermaids are rather smelly, and very hard to hold on to.
Aw man!...you just messed up my cool fantasy trip! LOL!

I suppose I had that coming. Ya got me sans. Good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality