Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:31 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPStechRULES View Post
OMG your imagination is epic fail. Same with the rock analogy. REALLY? It is not ID because IT was CREATED that way. By the way, the brain has nothing to do with the formation of blood cells in our bone marrow and so is most of what I learned studying body systems.
"Epic Fail?" Is this how you respond when you don't understand something? Maybe you could explain why it is an epic failure. I couldn't make it much simpler. The analogy works because there is no concious effort by the woman's pelvis, or by the rock, in either instance. It is illustrating absurdity with another example of absurdity.

Quote:
It is not ID because IT was CREATED that way.
That is a cognitive disconnect. When something is considered a result of ID, it's because it was created that way. That is the whole ID argument. Maybe you did not mean to type "not." Or you left out a second "not." As in, "It is not ID because IT was not CREATED that way."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 AM

19 posts, read 22,292 times
Do you really honestly see the logic of what science found out about how the eye processes the image? I was floored when I saw the illustration of WHATEVER we see is actually INVERTED? Why in the world would it make a process something as mind blowing as that? So it can impress the scientists who will later find it out in the future? Just like the gravity which is ONLY discovered by science it has always been there. It has always worked its purpose since its discovery. So please. Spare me. Unless you really are medical professionals who understand how our body sytems work intricately. I won't accept your natural selection crap. Maybe it works in evolution. But it does not on body sytem functions.

Tell me where natural selection fits in the inverted image only to be processed by brain so we see it NOT inverted? It is unconscious, it happens in a fraction of seconds.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:38 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Here ya go, watch and learn...

YouTube - How the Eye Evolved

Old 09-01-2010, 02:05 PM

Evolution of the eye has nothing to do with how the eye sees an inverted image (as you can see from the prototype lens view the rotating skulls are INVERTED! in the video) that's how our eyes also sees EVERY image we see! It is only when the image passes through optic nerves to the brain that miraculously it is not inverted! So yeah... natural selection explains it how? Remember all those processes in a matter of fraction of seconds!!!!

Evolution happens billions of years? Not gonna buy that.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:13 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default Is this stuff for real, or is it a badly acting troll?

Quote:
All you have to do really is wonder how as the book i am reading says "the carpals are 8 bones INTRICATELY ARRANGED to allow flexible movement of our wrists".

Oh the eye and how it process the image we see is mind blowing. Did you know that it works like a camera? Something about the crystalline lens part in the eye projecting the image we see as ACTUALLY UPSIDE DOWN! in the retina.. and that it then transfers to the optic nerve TO the brain - where we 'actually see'.. ALL of that process in a matter of sec! And even unconscious on our part? Man you have to be an arrogant fool not to get your mind blown. OR the REAL reason why we blink is to keep our eyes moist?

I dunno what kind of logic you have but it boggles me.
First off, you REALLY need to remove that "tech" part from your online name. You obviously are the antithesis of anything "tech". meantime, while I was about to launch on you, point by technical point, mis-guided interpretation by confused and incorrect conclusion, but why bother?

As well, others here have easily and correctly answered your questions, but you obviously PREFER to be ASTOUNDED and AMAZED at the simple things that have rather simply evolved. Frankly, as I said earlier, it's all been proven now. over and over. It's only denied by the "Denialists", you obviously included.

Take this one to the bank: I or others here, or certainly large numbers of basic Intro Biology prof(s) down at your local university could EASILY explain all your inquiries, if you had a mind to open and receive.

It's astounding that those with, obviously, not an inkling of any formal higher education (which simply means reading, considering, thinknig and accepting the obvious) about such a highly technical subject as genetics and Evolution can and do, with a wild wave of their hand, just outright dismiss it all. And then follow up with the silliest of justifications!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It's called natural selection.

You are arguing ID of course. Not as bad as Ray Comfort's banana but almost.

Nature does what works. It is inevitable as what wouldn't work wouldn't survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn
Well stated, AREQUIPA. 'Nuff said.
I'd say what I say to most of those who roll up here peddling ID - try to understand evolution before you reject it.
Quote:
This isn't about ID. I just think it is foolish to say NATURE 'knows' the female needs a wider pelvic area because it knows it will give birth. I mean really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifle
Why? "Nature does not need to "know" ahead of time, silly. It simply reacts. Obviously a wider birth canal favors easier, more successful birth. You, equally obviously, are not aware that nature is able to react with endless, always ongoing mutations, trials and tests. That's been measured, and is a fact.

COMMON SENSE NOTE: if it were all a Perfect Design as you imply, why would God then allow it to tinker with itself, and thus go horribly awry through chance mutations, where His design would run amok all by itself?

Are you denying that process? to use your word: "Really?"

Q #1: can you, briefly, name the particular element of Evolution that does not work?

Q#2: can you, briefly, explain ACGT? Or codon trans-location?
And our body system works is AFTER evolution. Just tell me why it works as magnificently as it does. The most mind blowing part is what it does involuntary. Meaning it does not need a human intervention it KNOWS what to do at the exact same time and where and how. It has its own mind.

Quote:
Oh stop it. It works precisely because the versions that didn't work, or didn't work AS WELL no longer exist. competition: like your local high school football team. They do better, they get to move up into the final playoffs. Get it?

The not-so-good adaptations didn't survive the process. How is this SO VERY HARD to understand? You wouldn't possibly have a bias against Evolution's factual logic, now would you?
Also, evolution takes billions of years process but human creation through pregnancy only takes 9 months and even less in smaller animals, yeah and it also all began with cells.
Yikes! So. You've just confirmed that you have less than a Grade 5 kid's understanding of the intricacies of biological reproduction, genetics, evolution and science in general. Why should we listen to you?

If this is all it takes to convince you of what you so desperately need to believe, then go for it. Just know that you are really scientifically illiterate and/or intellectually dishonest. No? Then answer my two really simple science questions above, without Googling them. (If you do, I'll know...)

Quote:
OMG your imagination is epic fail. Same with the rock analogy. REALLY? It is not ID because IT was CREATED that way. By the way, the brain has nothing to do with the formation of blood cells in our bone marrow and so is most of what I learned studying body systems.
So sorry, sport: Creation has been disproven. Evolution's been proven. You're really on the wrong side of the fence here. Where did you say you studied this again? Baylor? The Creation "Institute"?

Quote:
Do you really honestly see the logic of what science found out about how the eye processes the image? I was floored when I saw the illustration of WHATEVER we see is actually INVERTED?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman
You seem to be easily "floored", especially if you don't get how the brain, after a few thousand years of evolution, would rather easily process an inverted image. The fish and water mammals didn't need to invert the image of their target "lunch" as long as the mind's algorithms got it into their mouths.
Why in the world would it make a process something as mind blowing as that? So it can impress the scientists who will later find it out in the future? Just like the gravity which is ONLY discovered by science it has always been there.

Quote:
That's right! We begin by being curious about things we casually observe but that are already there, we don't just accept what others tell us we must accept, we design simple Q&A research to find the answer, and then we know. We want to know how things got to where they now are. Not by "Insta-Poof" though; that's been thoroughly dis-proven. It's called SCIENCE, m'boy! Oh yeah, BTW, its been well-proven to work, unlike fear-based mythology.
It has always worked its purpose since its discovery. So please. Spare me. Unless you really are medical professionals who understand how our body sytems work intricately. I won't accept your natural selection crap. Maybe it works in evolution. But it does not on body sytem functions.

Tell me where natural selection fits in the inverted image only to be processed by brain so we see it NOT inverted? It is unconscious, it happens in a fraction of seconds.
My God! Yep; you are patently hopeless. But still, I'll await your knowlegable answers to my two simple questions, above.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:16 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Evolution of the eye has nothing to do with how the eye sees an inverted image (as you can see from the prototype lens view the rotating skulls are INVERTED! in the video) that's how our eyes also sees EVERY image we see! It is only when the image passes through optic nerves to the brain that miraculously it is not inverted! So yeah... natural selection explains it how? Remember all those processes in a matter of fraction of seconds!!!!

Evolution happens billions of years? Not gonna buy that.

I like the part where is says a baby sees upside down until the brain figures it out. Quite interesting, but nothing godly about it. Still need night vision goggles to see in complete dark. I would think if god had something to do with it he would have given us that capacity.
How do we see things upright if the image formed on the retina in our eye is an inverted one?

Old 09-01-2010, 02:22 PM

Oh please. I just want you all to realize the magnificent processes our body makes with or without our conscious help/effort. I am hopeless because I can't believe that the eye sees an inverted image but in reality we see it right side up? Tell me why your evolution makes it like that? What adaptation will it help to further? I just acknowledge that EVERYTHING in the world is CREATED and I honestly dont care about your evolution tripe.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Oh please. I just want you all to realize the magnificent processes our body makes with or without our conscious help/effort. I am hopeless because I can't believe that the eye sees an inverted image but in reality we see it right side up? Tell me why your evolution makes it like that? What adaptation will it help to further? I just acknowledge that EVERYTHING in the world is CREATED and I honestly dont care about your evolution tripe.
Did you read my link. It explains it for you. What would help it further is if your brains didn't have to make the adjustment for us.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I realize all the magnificent things our body does. I also realize all the things that can go wrong. Nothing is perfect.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:28 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Where did you say you studied this again? Baylor? The Creation "Institute"?
Excuse me?! Them's fightin' words. That's hitting way too close to home. Do not put those two institutions in the same breath!

http://www.baylor.edu/chemistry/index.php?id=68470

Baylor University Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Statement on Evolution
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Baylor University is committed to the highest standards of scientific inquiry in the search for objective truth about the natural universe. From the time of Francis Bacon, this search for truth has been through the scientific method, in which the veracity of a hypothesis is tested by experimentation.

Evolution, a foundational principle of modern biological sciences, is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence. It is fundamental to the understanding of modern biochemistry, and our faculty incorporate the principle of evolution throughout the biochemistry curriculum. We are a science department, and we do not teach alternative hypotheses or philosophically deduced theories that cannot be tested rigorously
Baylor University Department of Biology
Statement on Evolution

Evolution, a foundational principle of modern biology, is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence and is accepted by the vast majority of scientists. Because it is fundamental to the understanding of modern biology, the faculty in the Biology Department at Baylor University, Waco, TX, teach evolution throughout the biology curriculum. We are in accordance with the American Association for Advancement of Science's statement on evolution. We are a science department, so we do not teach alternative hypotheses or philosophically deduced theories that cannot be tested rigorously
Baylor University Department of Geology
http://www.baylor.edu/Geology/index.php?id=62340

Does the fossil record support the idea of biological change over time (biological evolution)?

Yes. The fossil record clearly indicates
  • a progression in complexity of organisms from very simple fossil forms in the oldest rocks (>3.5 billion years old) to a broad spectrum from simple to complex forms in younger rocks,
  • that some organisms that were once common are now extinct, and
  • that the living organisms inhabiting our world today are similar (but generally not the same) as organisms represented as fossils in young sedimentary deposits, which in turn have evolutionary ancestors represented as fossils in yet older rocks.
Mammals, for example, are prevalent today and can be traced back in the fossil record for approximately 200 million years, but are not present as mammals in the fossil record before that; however, fossil forms that have reasonably been interpreted to be associated with the evolutionary precursors to mammals are found in older rocks.

Whether biological evolution occurs has not been a matter of scientific debate for more than a century. It is considered a proven fact. The specific mechanisms of biological change over time continue to be a topic of active research, and include mechanisms proposed by Charles Darwin as well as more recently developed ideas based on our growing knowledge of genetics and molecular biology. Using the methods of modern science, our knowledge of the fundamental mechanisms of life has grown enormously since the initial characterization of the role of DNA in reproduction, inheritance and evolution in the mid-1950s.

The American Geological Institute and The Paleontological Society, partnering with the most respected geoscience societies in America including the Geological Society of America, the American Geophysical Union, and the American Association of Petroleum Geologists (among others), have produced a booklet on evolution and the fossil record that can be downloaded as a PDF file. This booklet was written for the general public by people who have worked with the fossil record throughout their careers, and was thoroughly reviewed by other professional geologists and paleontologists.

Also see the page :
http://www.baylor.edu/Geology/index.php?id=61728

Besides,
http://ncse.com/news/2010/09/icr-con...-school-006160

Also, Baylor is involved with doing REAL Geology, not the ICR crap.

For instance:

Baylor, SEPM and NSF to Host Geology Research Conference and Workshop at Petrified Forest National Park
[7/22/2010]
Inaugural conference to bring top experts in fossil soils and soil surface system analogs

Baylor University, along with the National Science Foundation, the Society for Sedimentary Geology, and ExxonMobil Corporation, are sponsoring a combined field and research conference Sept. 21-26 at the Petrified Forest National Park near Holbrook, Ariz. that will address several key questions relating to fossilized soils called "paleosols" and modern analog soil surface systems.

You know, paleosols have always been a stickler for the "Flood Geologists." But then again, everything else in Geology is, as well.

Sic'em Bears!!

Last edited by PanTerra; 09-01-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality