Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:28 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Church is unnecessary; religion is unnecessary; gods and the supernatural are unnecessary. Which is a good thing, because the latter are also nonexistent.
Must be nice to be so confident of ones rightness............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 04:47 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I agree...attending church (which is really nothing more than a social get together with great entertainment on Sunday morning) tends to keep one in the herd and doesn't allow one to grow...it doesn't allow one to go beyond the bonds of their respective religious belief. Spirituality is a personal thing where one will experience personal growth but the growth can be hindered as long as one is part of the herd and clinging to the herd mentality.

WOW! ChristyGrl, I agree with most everything that you stated. Especially, the part of the "herd mentality". That herd mentality after a while starts taking away ones own thoughts, critical thinking abilities, objectivity, and the ability to question authority when one feels the authority figures or higher ranking officials are wrong or making poorly thought out decisions for the church. From my experiences there are actually some churches that are worthwhile attending and have an uplifting message. Most of those churches however are mostly liberal christian churches with more of an open mind and tolerance.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:56 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Matthew 5

3"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

As to the OP, I ask, what does the Bible say?

Luke 4

14Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside. 15He taught in their synagogues, and everyone praised him.
16He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom.

Hebrews 10:25

25Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Finally, I remember a line from the Rick Warren book, The Purpose-Filled Church, "We can do more together."

Well the question has been answered! You should not go to a church but head to a synagogue after all Jesus did not worship in a church.... Sounds awfully Jewish of Jesus if you ask me.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:27 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Well the question has been answered! You should not go to a church but head to a synagogue after all Jesus did not worship in a church.... Sounds awfully Jewish of Jesus if you ask me.
Jesus made a point to attend regular worship with like-minded believers. We should do likewise.

BTW, your answer is a run-on sentence.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:31 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,692 times
Quote:
Jesus made a point to attend regular worship with like-minded believers. We should do likewise.

BTW, your answer is a run-on sentence.
Actually, it was after Jesus saw what the people were doing with the churches that He stopped going. And, He also taught while walking to the many cities He visited. He didn't teach from any building. God does not reside anywhere but in our hearts. No church is ever necessary to find God.

In my own experience, the ones I have asked about church have only responded to the "like-mindedness" part of service. None have ever told me about the sermons or what kind of ministers they have. Sure they say "He's a good preacher" or " he helps out in the community" but none have ever come to know their minister personally. Jesus made sure the deciples knew Him personally. He talked to all of them. He came to know them as children of God and not just people to attend the sermons. He didn't want their money or posessions. He wanted to show them the Love of God and nothing more. Churches today are more interested in the numbers who attend church than they are of who attends the church.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Actually, it was after Jesus saw what the people were doing with the churches that He stopped going.
Where do you get this information?

Quote:
And, He also taught while walking to the many cities He visited. He didn't teach from any building. God does not reside anywhere but in our hearts. No church is ever necessary to find God.
While a building is not neccesary, Jesus did teach in the temple. Remember, a church is not a building, but rather a group of believers.

Quote:
In my own experience, the ones I have asked about church have only responded to the "like-mindedness" part of service. None have ever told me about the sermons or what kind of ministers they have. Sure they say "He's a good preacher" or " he helps out in the community" but none have ever come to know their minister personally. Jesus made sure the deciples knew Him personally. He talked to all of them. He came to know them as children of God and not just people to attend the sermons. He didn't want their money or posessions. He wanted to show them the Love of God and nothing more. Churches today are more interested in the numbers who attend church than they are of who attends the church.
That has never been my experience. Quite the opposite.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Sorry to be so blunt, but Church comes off to me as some kind of weird cult gathering. In church, I've seen people shaking like chiguaguas (with arms raised), babbling nonsense (speaking in tongues), and running around screaming (as if their house was on fire). This is all done while "inspirational music" is playing BTW.

Then there is the quieter side of church (Catholic Mass). There, one can find the putrid smell of frankincense burning, weird chants given by the Monsignor, and Pagan-like rituals of cannibalism (eating the "body of Christ" and drinking the "blood of Christ"). Thanks, but NO THANKS!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 09-09-2010 at 06:54 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Sorry to be so blunt, but Church comes off to me as some kind of weird cult gathering. In church, I've seen people shaking like chiguaguas (with arms raised), babbling nonsense (speaking in tongues), and running around screaming (as if their house was on fire).

Then there is the quieter side of church (Catholic Mass). There, one can find the putrid smell of frankincense burning, weird chants given by the Monsignor, and Pagan-like rituals of cannibalism (eating the "body of Christ" and drinking the "blood of Christ"). Thanks, but NO THANKS!!!
There are many other Christian denominations besides Pentecostal & Catholic that do none of these things.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:59 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
There are many other Christian denominations besides Pentecostal & Catholic that do none of these things.
They all drop down to their knees (with eyes closed) just to have conversations with their invisible sky friends. Thanks, but no thanks!!!

Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,692 times
Quote:
Where do you get this information?
I'd rather not say at this time. However, after Jesus saw what was happening in the temples, did you read after that that He attended any more rites, ceremonies or teachings?

Quote:
While a building is not neccesary, Jesus did teach in the temple. Remember, a church is not a building, but rather a group of believers.
I'll agree with this, however, Jesus always said to include everyone. While we are not to force our beliefs on another, everyone should be included in those beliefs so that they could discern on their own what they want to believe or not believe.

Quote:
That has never been my experience. Quite the opposite.
I guess I've been surrounded by the wrong people. I can think of no one who shares my beliefs in the city or even the state that I live in. So, of course, I will always see those things that do not bring one closer to God.

Worship and prayer are personal and should not be done in a church, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality