Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:59 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
For a fascinating article by a nuclear physicist showing how Einstein's Theory of Relativity sheds light on the correspondence between the Torah's age of the universe and the age ascertained by science, see The Age of the Universe.

H/T: Judaism 101: Jewish Calendar
Oh My...Seriously???? What will they think of next?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Oh My...Seriously???? What will they think of next?????
Ya gotta admit, the ability of fundamentalists to shoehorn ancient texts into a scientific setting is impressive!

I once encountered an individual who insisted that in the Old English epic Beowulf, Grendel was quite clearly a juvenile Tyrannosaur, thus proving that humans and dinosaurs were contemporaries.

Which is why stories about fundamentalists are so hard to distinguish from http://onion.com articles...

Old 09-02-2010, 03:52 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Professor Hawkings has written a new book discussing how the laws of nature are adequate to explain how the universe came into existence.

I don't expect this to change anyone's mind. It just affirms what many already believe, and this won't convince anyone who doesn't accept science.
...and if Hawkins had concluded that God was needed, would that change anyone's mind?

Dogmatism works both ways.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:08 PM

478 posts, read 773,397 times
Quote:
Professor Hawkings has written a new book discussing how the laws of nature are adequate to explain how the universe came into existence.

I don't expect this to change anyone's mind. It just affirms what many already believe, and this won't convince anyone who doesn't accept science.

BBC News - Stephen Hawking: God did not create Universe
I agree- and it's interesting because I just saw this article, and was going to post it (and probably say something along the lines as you have). I guess great minds think alike! I'd rep ya but seems I haven't been spreading the rep luv around enough yet...

And on a side note, I just love Stephen Hawking. He is not only intelligent, he is wise, fair and sensible. And quite inspirational as a person! I also am appreciative of his manner of communicating; he takes great care to make sure that in explaining some pretty complex and complicated things, he does so in a way that is simple enough not to alienate anyone, but without sounding like he's trying to talk "down" to anyone. I definitely am looking forward to seeing all that he has to say in this new book he's talking about.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:53 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I'd like to see his evidence for such a claim.....
I don't believe he has any evidence for his claim, other than his opinion.
I am in awe of the man for many reasons, and I respect his very well educated opinions.

I think he has found what he believes to be the simplest solution to the problem. No god required.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
There's string theory, membrane theory, big bang, two parallel universes colliding create a new universe. There's all kinds of conjecture, but ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF OF ANYTHING. At the moment, science's version of universe creation is as much a religion as Christianity. Faith based.
Except the hypotheses from science have a more complicated explanation than POOF!

Quote:
Oh by the way, there are people who accept science and religion. They are not mutually exclusive.
I never said they were.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
There's string theory, membrane theory, big bang, two parallel universes colliding create a new universe. There's all kinds of conjecture, but ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF OF ANYTHING. At the moment, science's version of universe creation is as much a religion as Christianity. Faith based.
Do you realize how silly you look blathering on about"absolute no proof of anything" to support your position of gods and the "poof theory" that god dunit. Actually I really doubt you do, the programming of religion, though completely erroneous, is scarily quite effective in closing the mind to reason and fact.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Until we get absolute proof, it really seems pointless for anyone to argue.
I don't see why people care what belief or religion other people have so much....

I was raised Christian, and still attend a church, but in Advanced Biology we are studying how the Earth was formed, and with my step-dad a Deacon, I get "the Earth isn't MILLIONS of years old" & "Carbon dating is inaccurate past certain dates" speech anytime I ask what he believes, etc....

I really don't know what to believe, since there's so little evidence on every side, although with perfect conditions, the Theory of Evolution is a bit convincing, I haven't given up on God yet.

SH has been attacking God a lot lately, or the religions that worship him, at least
Plenty of Christians have no problem with evolution. When you learn more about evolution, you will understand why.

They believe that evolution was the "how" and God was the "Why".

Old 09-02-2010, 07:27 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
I don't understand this new debate today that has caused Christians and Atheist to come against each other. I read this story on Yahoo news. It was the most popular story (no surprise). Stephan Hawkings has ALWAYS said there was no God. I wasn't the least bit surprised at this new book he wrote and his sayings. However I am proud of my Christians brothers and sisters who stood up against the Atheist for once on the comments. I use to think it was just Atheist commenting on the reports.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:30 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Plenty of Christians have no problem with evolution. When you learn more about evolution, you will understand why.

They believe that evolution was the "how" and God was the "Why".
Well I'm not one of them. I don't believe none of that crap. From the beginning of the lie to the end of the lie. I don't believe a single nasty false detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality