Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 04:46 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times

Advertisements

A prayer is considered to be a direct communication with God. Can anyone explain to me how that actually works and how is it different from the rest of a believer's daily activities? My own opinion is that it's a kind of ritual that has been handed down over the centuries. If you compare this act to telecommunications I suppose it would be similar to a telephone call in which you dial a specific number in order to talk to one particular person. The confusing part about prayer is that this conversation supposedly begins with someone saying something like "Dear God" and suddenly a direct link with God is established and you're delivering a message to The Big Fella. What exactly is it that establishes this communication and how does God know that your message has ended? Does saying Amen suddenly alert God that your transmission is over and you've completed thanking him for the lunch? Also, if God is all knowing and understands human events at a level that transcends human abilities then why is prayer even necessary? Wouldn't an all knowing God know exactly what is in your mind at any given time and make the reason for a prayer completely unnecessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 05:05 AM

2,066 posts, read 2,161,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
A prayer is considered to be a direct communication with God. Can anyone explain to me how that actually works and how is it different from the rest of a believer's daily activities? My own opinion is that it's a kind of ritual that has been handed down over the centuries. If you compare this act to telecommunications I suppose it would be similar to a telephone call in which you dial a specific number in order to talk to one particular person. The confusing part about prayer is that this conversation supposedly begins with someone saying something like "Dear God" and suddenly a direct link with God is established and you're delivering a message to The Big Fella. What exactly is it that establishes this communication and how does God know that your message has ended? Does saying Amen suddenly alert God that your transmission is over and you've completed thanking him for the lunch? Also, if God is all knowing and understands human events at a level that transcends human abilities then why is prayer even necessary? Wouldn't an all knowing God know exactly what is in your mind at any given time and make the reason for a prayer completely unnecessary?
With me, I speak to God with my thoughts. I have a soul connection with Him because I pray for His Divine Love and I'm going through soul development.

I might start out with Dear Father, are you there. Then I get a response like, yes, I'm here Dear or He'll call me another loving name. Then I'll have a small chat with Him and I'll tell Him that I love Him, but I don't need to do this all the time, because He knows this already because He can see the condition of my soul. If there's a certain thing I want to know about, I'll ask... or if He wants me to do something, He'll tell me. When my soul is open and longing for His Love, then it starts flowing into my soul. Most times I have what I call a little chat with Him after I wake up in the morning and then before I go to sleep. My last request to Him... or prayer if you will... is very simply to say, "Fill me up." And He knows exactly what I mean. I never say amen, sometimes if I'm still awake, I'll say goodnight.

So you see, this is a very personal conversation. I don't need to raise my arms, or sing hymns glorifying Him, or anything of that nature, or even go to church.

God may know what we're thinking at the time, but He doesn't know our future thoughts, as those are guided by our free will. But He answers prayers when we ask for them... if we don't ask, then maybe He assumes that we don't care. But when He knows that we do care, then He starts the wheels in motion to answer our prayers, if at all possible... and sometimes it's not possible. The way in which prayers are answered has to do with spiritual influences. The prayers for healing certain illnesses may not occur depending upon the severity of the problem, especially if it's an organ that has deteriorated beyond the healing stage.

So does God know what we're thinking... yes, but does that mean He's actually tuning in to over 6 billion people all at the same time? To me, He takes care of the squeaky wheel... you know the one who comes to Him the most. If people don't want Him in their lives, He never intrudes... He'll never be an illegal alien in anyone's home... He'll only come as an invited guest. But, that said, He does see what's in our hearts, as like I said, He can see our soul's condition, and that may be light or dark depending on what kind of life we have lead or are leading.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:01 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
[quote=MontanaGuy;15748895] Can anyone explain to me how that actually works and how is it different from the rest of a believer's daily activities?

Quote:
My own opinion is that it's a kind of ritual that has been handed down over the centuries. If you compare this act to telecommunications I suppose it would be similar to a telephone call in which you dial a specific number in order to talk to one particular person.
God lives within us all. Communication is established by being silent.......quiet........alone. Beginning a monologue with "Dear God...........Amen" is done for public purposes so other people know what you are doing and when you begin and end. Further Jesus said that if you do it in public it is wasted. So don't do it.

Quote:
The confusing part about prayer is that this conversation supposedly begins with someone saying something like "Dear God" and suddenly a direct link with God is established and you're delivering a message to The Big Fella.
The link is always there. You simply have to become aware of it and use it. The more you use it, the better the communication will be.

Quote:
What exactly is it that establishes this communication and how does God know that your message has ended? Does saying Amen suddenly alert God that your transmission is over and you've completed thanking him for the lunch? Also, if God is all knowing and understands human events at a level that transcends human abilities then why is prayer even necessary? Wouldn't an all knowing God know exactly what is in your mind at any given time and make the reason for a prayer completely unnecessary?
Sounds like you are praying only when you want something............Talk to the creator like he is a friend, not Bob Barker where if you answer the question right, you get your fantasy fulfilled.

Jesus said
Quote:
5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:03 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
I communicate with God "heart to heart". I follow no ritual, no repetition, no rehearsed recital. I don't have to, because He is part of my very being..Yes, He knows my thoughts, my problems, my joys better than I do, but I believe he listens simply because he knows the human need to know that our words are being heard by a loving and compassionate friend.

When I need to feel His presence, I simply close out the world around me and meditate on Him alone..Many times in periods of great distress I feel Him the most when I am alone surrounded by the wondrous beauty of nature that was created before us, and for us..I have never heard Him audibly, nor do I ever expect to, because He speaks to my heart, mind and soul from within me.

I never pray publicly except here in our prayer thread..There are people all over who need reassurance, hope and the love of even a stranger, and who also know that God hears all prayers, not just the ones uttered in closets..If I can help ease the pain bring a bit of relief to any one by saying a sincere public prayer here, I most assuredly will do so.
He knows I am not a hypocrite or looking for any reward..my words are sincere and from the heart.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:52 AM

50 posts, read 57,042 times
The BB scattered God Consciousness
throughout the universe
every atom remains in constant communication
every communication
is a holy prayer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality