Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 01:18 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,161,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm still wondering where this 'soul' thing is.
Maybe I was born without one? Is there a test for that?
You might check in the vicinity of your heart.

The test is to pray for God's Divine Love.

"There is nothing in the material world that will afford a basis of comparison with the soul; hence it is difficult for men to comprehend the nature and qualities of the soul by the mere intellectual perceptions and reason. In order to understand the nature of this great creation, the soul, men must have something of a spiritual development, and the possession of what may be known as the soul perceptions. Only soul can understand soul, and the soul that seeks to comprehend the nature of itself must be a live soul, with its faculties developed to a small degree, at least."

The Soul: What It Is and What It is Not (http://tinyurl.com/yfmlsmp - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 01:48 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
You might check in the vicinity of your heart.

The test is to pray for God's Divine Love.
And the result is what? A raging case of cancer? Or a truck running over your Nissan Sentra and decapitating your family?

Old 09-06-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And the result is what? A raging case of cancer? Or a truck running over your Nissan Sentra and decapitating your family?
Sympathy for your ridiculous post.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:05 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
It was a little over the top, but I agree with the thought behind it. Prayer has never been shown to have any demonstrable effects in the real world.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It was a little over the top, but I agree with the thought behind it. Prayer has never been shown to have any demonstrable effects in the real world.
There is a difference between praying for God's Divine Love and praying for someone else.

When we pray for GDL, we are praying for ourselves... it's a personal prayer to change us... the way we think and how we act, so that we become in alignment with our Heavenly Father.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:17 PM

465 posts, read 528,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
There is a difference between praying for God's Divine Love and praying for someone else.

When we pray for GDL, we are praying for ourselves... it's a personal prayer to change us... the way we think and how we act, so that we become in alignment with our Heavenly Father.
It's quite simple. If God was everyone's father, everyone would know it. They only time I know of when someone has to go search for their father is because their father wasn't present in the first place.

Everything you talk about is all subjective. Basically anything can be made up. You say you feel God, I don't believe you, but I know there is nothing I can say to prove that you are wrong because it's all subjective.

I could say Krishna touched me and opened my eyes to the truth through a spiritual experience, but you would probably have no problem calling that a delusion from Satan or something demonic.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
It's quite simple. If God was everyone's father, everyone would know it. They only time I know of when someone has to go search for their father is because their father wasn't present in the first place.Everything you talk about is all subjective. Basically anything can be made up. You say you feel God, I don't believe you, but I know there is nothing I can say to prove that you are wrong because it's all subjective. I could say Krishna touched me and opened my eyes to the truth through a spiritual experience, but you would probably have no problem calling that a delusion from Satan or something demonic.
If I was the only one on earth who is receiving God's Divine Love and having these spiritual experiences, then I'd have to agree with you, but the fact is... I'm not... just ask my best friends and they'll tell you the same thing.

Well, I would say that you need to relax and, yes, I would have a problem with the delusion of Satan, because there is no such entity.

"The book that you read is a snare and a lie, for there are no angels who have become devils as the author of that book declares. Never were there any angels who through ambition or any other reason revolted against the power of government of God, and thereby lost their estate as angels. Never was there any Lucifer, and never were there any angels who were thrown from the battlements of heaven into hell, as it has been written and as I told you before, there are no devils and no Satan, considered as real persons and fallen angels."

There are no devils and no satan (http://tinyurl.com/yky7hw4 - broken link)

Old 09-06-2010, 04:43 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Many on here state they believe in God but not the one promoted by the Bible.
So where did you learn about God?
The idea of god didn't just come to you in a dream or something did it?
old_cold, I find your question here very interesting, I am not a believer in Christianity or the writings of their sacred book nor any organized religion for that matter, I am a believer in the Creator, the supreme spirit and creator of us all, according to my native belief and I learned about it from my ancestors who learned about it from their's, it is a belief that has been passed down from generation to generation. Yes, in a way it did come in a dream, but not my dream, there were many things that I had to go through during my early years before becoming and being taught the ways of the spiritual elders of my people, these were the dreams of my great-grandmother and my grandfather and were told to me once I had completed certain trials throughout my early life. I was a warrior in the traditional sense of my people, I served my time and did my duty for this country and a little more, that was one of the trials that I went through and survive and upon doing that I was taught by my grandfather the spiritual beliefs of my people and now I am the elder and I too will pass this knowledge on to the next generations before I cross over.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:58 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
old_cold, I find your question here very interesting, I am not a believer in Christianity or the writings of their sacred book nor any organized religion for that matter, I am a believer in the Creator, the supreme spirit and creator of us all, according to my native belief and I learned about it from my ancestors who learned about it from their's, it is a belief that has been passed down from generation to generation. Yes, in a way it did come in a dream, but not my dream, there were many things that I had to go through during my early years before becoming and being taught the ways of the spiritual elders of my people, these were the dreams of my great-grandmother and my grandfather and were told to me once I had completed certain trials throughout my early life. I was a warrior in the traditional sense of my people, I served my time and did my duty for this country and a little more, that was one of the trials that I went through and survive and upon doing that I was taught by my grandfather the spiritual beliefs of my people and now I am the elder and I too will pass this knowledge on to the next generations before I cross over.
I know he doesn't need me to "back him up"...but before any of TAC shows the usual lack of couth they typically exhibit and tell people they are "delusional", "talk to an imaginary friend", and "are lacking in logic, reason, and common sense" if they say they are a "believer in the Creator, the supreme spirit and creator of us all", and that "if they teach that to children they should be cited for child abuse"...I just want to say that ptsum demonstrates as much wisdom and insight as anyone on this board, and contributes greatly to it. Please show respect and tolerance.

Thank You in advance.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
So you don't believe the Bible or in other established religions so......?

Well.......ya got that part right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality