Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 09:20 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickoflirr1 View Post
And your post certainly proves it.
The fact you choose to slip in a personal insult confirms that you don't have a thing in rebuttal, thus you are left with the choice of insulting or not responding. It is a common ploy people use when they have nothing else, appreciate the affirmation

Old 09-08-2010, 10:20 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
People are dying becuase People are not doing what God asked...in the way God wants...
Since no real, legitimate God has ever come forth and made itself and its desires known to humanity, it's pretty impossible to do what "God" asks or know what "God" wants.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Hmm, maybe we should hold Bible burnings on all the anniversaries which atrocities have been committed in the name of its "holy" words or its God. I doubt there would be enough Bibles available to fuel the fires for very long.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:37 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Remember the Crusaders....St Louis HS

Old 09-08-2010, 11:19 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
I'm a Christian. I denounced it.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:08 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,952,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Silence by christians at such a demonstration of pure hatred are affirming their agreement with the hatred by their silence. The reason they are not protesting, as their belief in what they call a loving god is so twisted and distorted, that they agree with the Koran burning, yet are cowards without the courage to show their true colors.

The so called christian that does NOT activity oppose this demonstration of pure christian hatred is as vile and completable as the hate mongers sponsoring the burn.

Evidence indicates that dinosaurs were eradicated from this planet by a large meteor strike, men with holy books in their hand will be the catalyst that eradicate humans from this planet
Bang on..all clear thinking folk in America would do themselves no disservice in denoucing this jumped up pastor fellow in the strongest possible way,informing the world that it is not done in their name.Hopefully not all will claim to be against the act and sit on the fence while claiming it is his right to freedom to perform such a not only infantile act but a dangerous one as well.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:12 AM

478 posts, read 773,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I think your flipping out by the actions of one obscure pastor and his 50 member church. Your reaction is not in relation to the act. Now if this was done by one of the mega churches, that could be a problem. But the media focussing on one miniscule church has blown it out of proportions. If the media never mentioned it, the muslim world would not have known about it, because they watch American news.

So, if your going to be upset, be upset with the media that is causing the minute acts of a few Americans to put the country at risk and the American men and woman in the ME at risk. They are dredging the bottom of society for stories that will sell.
I agree COMPLETELY. It's always the media and their push to "create" issues and fights that wouldn't even exist were it not for their existence, and the way that we americans unfortunately like to prioritize what they spew as if it's the end-all-be-all certainly doesn't help.

If this were 100, even 50 years ago, we wouldn't have even HEARD about this nut job and what he's doing in his small little world. Fact is, if you're getting upset about this half wit yokel, then you're allowing yourself to get worked up over NOTHING. Aside from the obscene amount of media coverage that is CREATING the problem, and whatever problems ensue as a result of their coverage, would what this man does otherwise affect you? No. Hardly anything ANYONE does affects anyone but those involved in whatever it is we're talking about, unless it is some sort of act committed UPON someone else, like a rape, robbery, etc..

Now I love throwing back and forth thoughts and opinions as much as anyone else on here, and I understand the need for a good 'theoretical' debate, but seriously- Nikk is dead on with this one and just remember, the only REAL issues at hand, the only ones worth actually getting off your computer chair and out of the house and fighting for are ones that affect YOU, or other people adversely. And we all know that those worthwhile "fights" don't (or shouldn't) have anything to do with religion- much less someone just exercising their first amendment right- irregardless of whether or not their doing so is in good taste, or in good judgement.

But that aside- be careful of what you allow rattle you; choose your battles. Remember, the media is a big fan of creating red herrings for a reason; keep in mind who owns and runs the media...

Old 09-09-2010, 12:16 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,632,368 times
I'm Roman Catholic and I denounce the act of burning the Qu'ran or the burning of any book of faith belonging to another religion.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:40 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,952,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
I agree COMPLETELY. It's always the media and their push to "create" issues and fights that wouldn't even exist were it not for their existence, and the way that we americans unfortunately like to prioritize what they spew as if it's the end-all-be-all certainly doesn't help.

If this were 100, even 50 years ago, we wouldn't have even HEARD about this nut job and what he's doing in his small little world. Fact is, if you're getting upset about this half wit yokel, then you're allowing yourself to get worked up over NOTHING. Aside from the obscene amount of media coverage that is CREATING the problem, and whatever problems ensue as a result of their coverage, would what this man does otherwise affect you? No. Hardly anything ANYONE does affects anyone but those involved in whatever it is we're talking about, unless it is some sort of act committed UPON someone else, like a rape, robbery, etc..

Now I love throwing back and forth thoughts and opinions as much as anyone else on here, and I understand the need for a good 'theoretical' debate, but seriously- Nikk is dead on with this one and just remember, the only REAL issues at hand, the only ones worth actually getting off your computer chair and out of the house and fighting for are ones that affect YOU, or other people adversely. And we all know that those worthwhile "fights" don't (or shouldn't) have anything to do with religion- much less someone just exercising their first amendment right- irregardless of whether or not their doing so is in good taste, or in good judgement.

But that aside- be careful of what you allow rattle you; choose your battles. Remember, the media is a big fan of creating red herrings for a reason; keep in mind who owns and runs the media...
I do not mean to sound patronising but it is a big world out there and certain actions performed a world away in the US can indeed reverberate,having consquences far afield.
Example,such an action can indeed have an effect on those of us that do travel to the Islamic world,indeed with very negative outcomes.
Just the fact of being a Westerner,not even an American,could in fact prove to be more perilous due to such an innane outburst from this nutter.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I imagine this has been dealt with, but it's just not true that Christians have been silent on this. Nor would it be true that atheists generally support it. The National Association of Evangelicals, the Vatican, the Episcopal Diocese of Southeast Florida, the Christian Pastors Association of North Central Florida, and others have come out against it. Among non-theists the International Humanist Ethical Union is also against it.

Press Release: NAE Urges Cancellation of Planned Qu (http://www.nae.net/news-and-events/469-press-release-nae-urges-cancellation-of-planned-quran-burning - broken link)
Vatican: Quran burning 'outrageous' - CNN.com
Associated Baptist Press - Baptists, other local religious leaders protest planned Quran burning
http://www.iheu.org/world-union-huma...-quran-burning

One Baptist listed in the "Associated Baptist Press" article opposes the burning despite being staunchly Anti-Islam. Mr. Smith stated, "Yet, while evangelicals need to stand for the truth that salvation is only in Jesus Christ and against the damning religion of Islam, desecrating the holy book of Islam is no way to oppose this false, harmful religion."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality