Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:38 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanassir View Post
God will burn them if they burn His book

I don't know how this will be: hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, epidemics ...etc.

This is because they pretend not agreeing about burning the book of the Quran, while they in fact do not prevent such men from committing their transgression on the book of God: the Glorious Quran.

Moderator cut: edit
The Disagreement of the

i want to clear somethings up with this god will burn you if they burn his books.. doesn't the devil do the burning, and god does the casting..

things get so twisted and misenterpreted with religion ya know. just imagine a world where no public religion had been invented, and every single person preached in the their own mind to what ever theory of a god they believed in and thats that , one can only imagine how much better this world could be, hundreds of millions of people have died from a direct result of religious wars over the past 2000 years, trillions of dollars spent on relgious temples churches , mosques. synagogues, statues, books paintings. what a big waste of money.!! all that money could have been spent on helping the very people that it was originally intended for, it's possible to think in such a world there would be no starving people,and a lot less wars, killing and hate.. not to mention all the wasted time bickering over who's religious versions is write or wrong over the past 2000 years,, dang thats a lot of wasted time.

if i hade a time machine i would go back in time and make sure to change the way people believe in a deity that may not exist..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 06:08 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,554 times
All this religious hocus-pocus scares the Shiite out of me.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:59 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
I have just one question for eanassir. You're outraged because some back-country preacher is trying to get attention for himself by announcing that he's going to burn Quran. Understandable. My question to you is this: what's your opinion about Hitler's book burning ceremonies?

Old 09-10-2010, 01:36 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I very much agree with that first paragraph. A president that will not participate with a Christian day of prayer but does join in with other religions and not let the Christian ministers who had different beliefs than he participate in a religious ceremony at the Pentagon is WAY WAY WAY out of line in trying to influence what a minister in Florida does at his own church. This president needs a reality check. He also needs to learn what those troops in other countries are fighting for. They are fighting for the freedom for everyone, even those who would like to kill all Christians. This is where I draw the line of tolerance. I don't care about protecting people of a religion who have no respect for the Christian people of this country and see us as the enemy.

President Obama has been in office during two National Days of Prayer. He has not held any special activities during either of those days. That puts him behind Presidents GHW Bush and Reagan, who each held special activities on National Days of Prayer precisely once - which is to say, GHW Bush did nothing on those days 3x and Reagan did nothing on those days 7x.

It's only next to the fawningly pious GW Bush that Obama appears to behave differently, but that's the point - of our last five Presidents, only one of them has regularly bothered to mark the National Day of Prayer - GW Bush. Obama's actions have been consistent with his other predecessors. GW Bush is the outlier, not Obama.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Perhaps a dated opinion as Jones has called off his plan, but I think that he has the right to burn the Korans and Obama, Petraeus and Clinton are wrong for using their political and military positions to try and persuade him otherwise.

Now, I do think that Jones is being a dick, being purposefully inflammatory, and is going out of his way to do something with no real purpose other than to insult people. Not the kind of guy I would want to hang around with.

But, if they are his books and his match, he has the right to do with them what he wants. That is the essence of the 1st amendment.
Yes, Jones has the right to burn books. And officials have the right to appeal to him not to do so.

And it's duly noted that you only complained about Democratic officials who spoke out against the Koran-burning plan - conveniently letting Republicans like Boehner, McConnell and McCain off the hook for doing so.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:05 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
And it's duly noted that you only complained about Democratic officials who spoke out against the Koran-burning plan - conveniently letting Republicans like Boehner, McConnell and McCain off the hook for doing so.
I had not heard of Boehner, McConnell or McCain doing this. My excuse is that I have been quite busy at work, and only able to read occasional headlines, not much more.

But, if they did speak out against the Koran plan, then I think that they were wrong to do so as well.

I find it amusing that you imply I might have Republican sympathies. In actuality, I am pretty hard core liberal. I feel that Obama is way too conservative, and should move hard left.

Be that as it may, I find myself thinking of the proposed Koran burning and the Islamic community center in similar ways. Both are absolutely protected by constitutional rights. Both have upset large groups of people in an irrational way. But upsetting people is not a reason to stop what you are doing, or having the government step in. I say put up the building, burn some books, and get on with your life.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I had not heard of Boehner, McConnell or McCain doing this. My excuse is that I have been quite busy at work, and only able to read occasional headlines, not much more.

But, if they did speak out against the Koran plan, then I think that they were wrong to do so as well.

I find it amusing that you imply I might have Republican sympathies. In actuality, I am pretty hard core liberal. I feel that Obama is way too conservative, and should move hard left.

Be that as it may, I find myself thinking of the proposed Koran burning and the Islamic community center in similar ways. Both are absolutely protected by constitutional rights. Both have upset large groups of people in an irrational way. But upsetting people is not a reason to stop what you are doing, or having the government step in. I say put up the building, burn some books, and get on with your life.
I find it amusing that you're concerned about an issue that you only know about from 'occasional headlines'. Maybe there's a worse way to get news, but I'm hard-pressed to think of one at the moment.

The government has not 'stepped in' - some members of the government have appealed to Pastor Jones to stop what he announced he would do. No move whatsoever has been taken to stop the pastor. Sorry, I think your notion that members of the government must be absolutely neutral on the wisdom of all speech is absurd. The pastor is trying his best to be next month's featured recruiting tool for al-Qaeda. There is nothing - nothing - wrong with officials appealing - not using the force of law but simply appeals - in an attempt to get the pastor to stop.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
The Nazis were NOT in any way a Christian organization. The Nazis were a political party and its leader, Adolph Hitler, was not a Christian. He often lamented the fact that the German people had been saddled with such a 'weak' religion as Christianity. He admired Islam and wished the German people had a "warrior religion like Shinto or Mohammadism (Islam)".
I guess the rules here allow any poster to make up anything they want, but it really discredits the person and their position. I know you "wish" Hitler weren't an christian, but wishing is just like praying, it changes nothing.

Hitler was Catholic, a christian, and refereed to himself as a christian.

Quote:
As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice.... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.... When I go out in the morning and see these men standing in their queues and look into their pinched faces, then I believe I would be no Christian, but a very devil if I felt no pity for them, if I did not, as did our Lord two thousand years ago, turn against those by whom to-day this poor people is plundered and exploited.
-Adolf Hitler
, in his speech in Munich on 12 April 1922
So what is the nonsense in your post above, besides factually wrong? I suspect this represents the current teachings of christianity, any lie, any time to distance our fantasy world from the dark and ugly reality it really represents. Rewriting history is a common tactic of those attempting to justify the atrocities born in religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality