Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:03 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,759 times

Advertisements

I agree with H. L. Mencken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 09:06 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I agree with H. L. Mencken.
Praise Him!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:59 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Respect does not mean zero criticism.
I think atheists here may feel that all they are doing is dispassionate criticism. However this just means they're really lacking in self-awareness.

You don't really do it, but there are atheists who equate religion to Nazism, demean us as quasi-humans, blame say we're the biggest threat to the world without support for such a claim, dredge up the most absurd theories to bash them, etc. Those things are not simple criticism. Obviously many, perhaps most, atheists here don't do that but a sizable minority do. "Lying for atheism" (Galileo was killed by the Inquisition, Columbus was going to be attacked by the Church for proving the Earth is round, Jesus is identical to Horus, etc) is also not simple criticism.

Anyway moving beyond food and sleep I think we probably do share some values. Like honesty, compassion, The Golden Rule, and not having sex with your own mother. (I only mention the last because it's the only taboo I know of that's in all cultures and some apes too.)

Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,159,151 times
I think both sides go too far quite often. I know that the atheists often come off as offensive and disrespectful. I also can't tell you how many times I've been told that I am wicked, that I am Satan's Disciple (or Satan's child - take your pick), that I am going to burn in eternal hellfire, that I'm lost and wandering in the dark, that I refuse to see the truth, that I'm arrogant and full of pride because I'm not Christian, and I could go on and on. I think that each side is really only aware of the wrongdoing on the opposite side and is completely ingorant of their own offense. I mean - it makes sense. The hard core Christians genuinely believe that I'm a bad person and find no fault in telling me so. The hard core atheists genuinely believe that the theists are delusional. Both sides feel that they are being honest and merely speaking the truth. I understand that - and for that reason, I rarely take offense. I'm not saying I NEVER take offense - those of you that know me well know that I have been very upset by one or two incidents on here! However, I am stronger for it.
I always try to be honest yet respectful. I think when you are dealing with issues of faith and belief - sometimes that is hard to accomplish. Also, faith and belief and the like are things near and dear to our hearts - people are going to be overly sensitive in many cases - and understandably so. It's hard to hear criticism about something you have based your life around.
I try to get along with everyone - and for the most part, I think I succeed. However, I never lie and I never compromise my own beliefs.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:15 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,759 times
In person we have more in common then we do on the internet, where the differences are more entertaining to dwell on.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:37 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,159,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
In person we have more in common then we do on the internet, where the differences are more entertaining to dwell on.
That's very true! It's hard for me to imagine someone calling me the Devil's Disciple shortly after meeting me in person!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:46 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post

(1) RESPECT...

(2) TRUTH.....

(3) LOVE...

(4) PEACE...
  1. Respect is earned, and is never automatic. I have always respected the Office of the President, but presidents in the past have either never earned my respect, or threw it away at some point.
  2. Truth......... well truthfully it is extremely hard to respect (see #1) those that willfully and fervently deny truth, fact, and reason. Stuff like "the sun stopped in the sky", and they defend that as 'fact' Maybe some of you can still respect nonsensical opinions like that, but I can't, it just hurts my head
  3. Love...... is a human emotion, hard to define, differs from whom you love and the phase of the relationship, i.e. spouse, kids, parents, grandkids, and my dogs. To 'love' strangers.......... naw, and inappropriate. And to say you love strangers or imaginary deities cheapens the concept of love.
  4. Peace...... believers don't want peace, they feud like the Hatfield's and McCoy's even with believers that are reading out of the same book. muslims do it, christians do it, then there is palpable hatred toward those that read out of a different book. Peace and religion are polar opposites and both will never exist at the same time. One has to go, and it appears that peace drew the short straw.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Respect does not mean zero criticism.
One will never grow without criticism. Our society has become so over sensitive to criticism that teachers aren't even using red pencils to grade papers, 'red is too harsh and critical'.

Today we can't even 'correct' someone that is doing something wrong, or has a misconception about something (nothing about religion, real world stuff), because it is automatically received as criticism.

The "C" subforum, a place were criticism is really needed, well it's pretty much banned there. (I always have to look up at the bread crumb trail to make sure I'm not in that subforum )

Old 09-12-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I'll stick with my beliefs. That is my right.
Absolutely, and I defend the fact you have that right.

But (you knew that was coming)

That right ends when you* (* not the "you" specifically before I get attacked for attacking) decide that I need to have those same beliefs, or they should be taught as fact in our schools. When you* demand that creation be taught in science classes, when you* rewrite history books because an important figure in US history was an Atheist. Then you* have exceeded your* rights, and imposed on mine.

Footnote; science and history book rewrites, happened in Texas this year

Old 09-12-2010, 03:31 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
...is earned.

...is a hard thing to swallow. Frequently it disproves religious beliefs, and many people are incapable of accepting that.

...is also earned.

...religious fanatics don't want peace. They want their god to ruthlessly smite us non-believers.

If someone is sensitive enough to get butthurt over anonymous comments on an internet discussion forum, they've got issues. I think that a forum like this is absolutely the place to be brutally honest with someone else, and tell them what you think about their ideas. Otherwise, they go through life with everyone being polite to them, afraid to hurt their feelings, and not being told how ridiculous they are.

I say, grow a pair or don't post on the internet.
I grew a set of extra "ones" long ago, otherwise as a gay male I would not be here since I was born in the late 50's; my point is why act like disrespetful children? I'm attempting to add civility to the debates......I remember an old saying..."If you have nothing nice to say keep your trap shut". Now I don't advocate that premise in this forum; however if we are to grow and survive as a species we simply need to "get over" ourselves and try to see other viewpoints without insulting posters; OR do you feel this is just not fun and we should flippantly push "one another's buttons". It is one thing to be honest; it's another to go out of one's way to disrespect people. There are plenty of posters here who I will never agree with and are quite insulting; should I respond as they do OR try to at least keep the "high ground" and debate intellectually rather than emotionally as some here do?

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 09-12-2010 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality