Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 03:38 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Main problem being that there are so many theists who consider even the most mundane criticism of their beliefs as an attack, mocking or ridicule that must be stamped out. Whilst they consider it perfectly acceptable to proclaim that their particular theological beliefs are the only ones that are true (and in doing so are insulting, mocking and ridiculing the theological beliefs of other religions), they just can't accept it when someone says the same about their beliefs.

For myself, I see no reason whatsoever to "respect" what someone believes. I respect their right to hold the belief. I am under no obligation to respect the belief they hold. Again, I call on the master......

"The way to deal with superstition is not to be polite to it, but to tackle it with all arms, and so rout it, cripple it, and make it forever infamous and ridiculous. Is it, perchance, cherished by persons who should know better? Then their folly should be brought out into the light of day, and exhibited there in all its hideousness until they flee from it, hiding their heads in shame.
True enough, even a superstitious man has certain inalienable rights. He has a right to harbor and indulge his imbecilities as long as he pleases, provided only he does not try to inflict them upon other men by force. He has a right to argue for them as eloquently as he can, in season and out of season. He has a right to teach them to his children. But certainly he has no right to be protected against the free criticism of those who do not hold them. He has no right to demand that they be treated as sacred. He has no right to preach them without challenge. Did Darrow, in the course of his dreadful bombardment of Bryan, drop a few shells, incidentally, into measurably cleaner camps? Then let the garrisons of those camps look to their defenses. They are free to shoot back. But they can't disarm their enemy."
-- H L Mencken,
I'm saying to respect what they believe; even IF I know it to be ridiculous...there are posters here I will NEVER respect but that does not mean that I should hit below the belt or try to push buttons....or talk in a disrespectful fashion....even though they have it coming. I thought that 9/11 would foster some peace/understanding at this trying time....I fear people enjoy being hateful and seek it out actively.....to me that's truly evil and we will never survive as a species if we can't even talk on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Respect does not mean zero criticism.

Noone said it did except YOU...SEE I can play too.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well ya sure got caught there Gldnrain!!
LOL....one's true nature and intent are evident to other people and posters. I can be just as nasty, with logic as anyone; it's the childish attempts to foster hate etc....that I despise....seems you caught a poster flying some true colors.....how can we learn how others feel if a poster's intent is simply to denigrate others; that's the main intent of my thread and seems we got a bite.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
In person we have more in common then we do on the internet, where the differences are more entertaining to dwell on.
ROFLMFAO...I agree..... you get my thread premise. Boredom it's part of the problem...I guess some feel there are not enough entertainment options these days...I know we had so many more in the 1950's and 60's..

Old 09-12-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
  1. Respect is earned, and is never automatic. I have always respected the Office of the President, but presidents in the past have either never earned my respect, or threw it away at some point.
  2. Truth......... well truthfully it is extremely hard to respect (see #1) those that willfully and fervently deny truth, fact, and reason. Stuff like "the sun stopped in the sky", and they defend that as 'fact' Maybe some of you can still respect nonsensical opinions like that, but I can't, it just hurts my head
  3. Love...... is a human emotion, hard to define, differs from whom you love and the phase of the relationship, i.e. spouse, kids, parents, grandkids, and my dogs. To 'love' strangers.......... naw, and inappropriate. And to say you love strangers or imaginary deities cheapens the concept of love.
  4. Peace...... believers don't want peace, they feud like the Hatfield's and McCoy's even with believers that are reading out of the same book. muslims do it, christians do it, then there is palpable hatred toward those that read out of a different book. Peace and religion are polar opposites and both will never exist at the same time. One has to go, and it appears that peace drew the short straw.
Respect is earned but all adults should receive it otherwise we'll end up wiping our species out. I respect ALL living things...or should I go outta my way to run over a raccoon crossing a road...do they too need to earn your respect too??

Truth is what can be emperically proven by science and experimentation and is observed repeatedly by different sets of people and circumstances i.e. The Scientific Method.

Love is what most people seek but it's easier to blindly hate, this is most evident in the world today and in the forums. It's just taking the "easy" way out...it takes energy to love and respect people.

Peace...I partly agree but do not trap yourself......I have met many very religious posters/people who actually think similarly to Atheists just they incorporate logic/science into their faith...never lump people together...we are all individuals...my beliefs are not religious, however they are not purely Atheist either. .

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 09-12-2010 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-12-2010, 04:37 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I'm saying to respect what they believe; even IF I know it to be ridiculous...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Quote:
Respect does not mean zero criticism.
Noone said it did except YOU...SEE I can play too.
Really....

Old 09-12-2010, 04:43 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times
Quote:
There is discrimination in this world and slavery and slaughter and starvation. Governments repress their people; millions are trapped in poverty while the nation grows rich and wealth is lavished on armaments everywhere. These are differing evils, but they are the common works of man. They reflect the imperfection of human justice, the inadequacy of human compassion, our lack of sensibility towards the suffering of our fellows. But we can perhaps remember, even if only for a time, that those who live with us are our brothers; that they share with us the same short moment of life; that they seek, as we do, nothing but the chance to live out their lives in purpose and happiness, winning what satisfaction and fulfillment they can.
Surely, this bond of common faith, this bond of common goal, can begin to teach us something. Surely, we can learn, at least, to look at those around us as fellow men. And surely we can begin to work a little harder to bind up the wounds among us and to become in our own hearts brothers and countrymen once again. - Robert Kennedy
Beliefs are nothing more then.. well beliefs. To even try and equate them to humans is absurd. No belief deserves respect, just because it is a belief.

The only thing that deserves respect, without question is life.. beliefs, scriptures, ideologies will never be upgraded to such a point that they surpassed the importance of life itself.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:45 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
You know, I find this subject very interesting and I think that if we were all to sit together in the same room we would probably be very surprised as to how much we do have in common, we all wish to be respected for our words and we all wish to have our words heard by others with respect and granted respect from others is to be earned, but how do you earn that respect if no one listens. Among my people we have a custom that is used whenever we sit in council, it is called a talking stick and the purpose of the talking stick is to give the individual who has possession of it the right to speak without interruption, when that person finishes speaking the stick is then passed on to another who wishes to speak, however there is a great responsibility that comes when holding the talking stick, the individual holding it at the time, has within his/her hand the sacred power of words, only he/she can speak while he/she holds the stick, the other council members must remain silent and listen with respect, even if you don't agree with what the individual is saying, you still must respect his/her right to say those words, however the speaker should not forget that he/she carries within him/herself a sacred spark of the Creator and therefore he/she is also sacred, if he/she feels they cannot honor the talking stick with their words, they should refrain from speaking so they will not dishonor themselves. When they are again in control of their words, the stick will be returned to them.
This is a custom that my people have held for many centuries and because of that we learn to respect one another, regardless of our beliefs or disbelieves. Something that maybe we should all learn.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:22 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
In person we have more in common then we do on the internet, where the differences are more entertaining to dwell on.
So true.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:57 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
You mean like posters who intentionally grate on other groups with their writing - and then admit to it?

//www.city-data.com/forum/15460278-post20.html

Interesting that poster is complaining that other writers do the same thing.
Did you not read this paragraph in my post #4 of this thread?:
It's basically...we don't like "X", "Y", or "Z"...we feel it is some kind of "bad" thing, or some kind of "threat"...and we are going to attack it...and if you don't like that, "too bad". MOF...it is most common to see the taking of exception...that someone took exception! And I'm not talking about "joking around", or "snarky jest"...I'm talking about "down and dirty", "below the belt", as "insulting as can be"...TRYING to hurt and mock. And willing to specifically devote THOUSANDS OF HOURS to it!

Please note the bolded portion.

"Sprinkling sand down the collar"...is in a different class from what I commonly see here. My affinity for "Don Rickles" type humor has been oft professed...MOF, I have often COMPLIMENTED amusing snarky posts by others...even encouraged it. It's entertaining and amusing. "Mean, cruel, mocking, and insulting, ISN'T...and I consistently come down against that. I respect ALL viewpoints...even if I don't agree.

Do you really not know the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality