Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:55 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post

Interesting that poster is complaining that other writers do the same thing.
He got caught like a kid with his hand in the cookie jar, and continues to deny his acts just like a kid and diffuse the attention from his actions as he lacks the maturity or character to accept responsibility or even acknowledge his behavior.

Guess his moniker doesn't hold very true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 08:04 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You know, I find this subject very interesting and I think that if we were all to sit together in the same room we would probably be very surprised as to how much we do have in common, we all wish to be respected for our words and we all wish to have our words heard by others with respect and granted respect from others is to be earned, but how do you earn that respect if no one listens. Among my people we have a custom that is used whenever we sit in council, it is called a talking stick and the purpose of the talking stick is to give the individual who has possession of it the right to speak without interruption, when that person finishes speaking the stick is then passed on to another who wishes to speak, however there is a great responsibility that comes when holding the talking stick, the individual holding it at the time, has within his/her hand the sacred power of words, only he/she can speak while he/she holds the stick, the other council members must remain silent and listen with respect, even if you don't agree with what the individual is saying, you still must respect his/her right to say those words, however the speaker should not forget that he/she carries within him/herself a sacred spark of the Creator and therefore he/she is also sacred, if he/she feels they cannot honor the talking stick with their words, they should refrain from speaking so they will not dishonor themselves. When they are again in control of their words, the stick will be returned to them.
This is a custom that my people have held for many centuries and because of that we learn to respect one another, regardless of our beliefs or disbelieves. Something that maybe we should all learn.
I like that! The 'Western' equivalent (for want of a better word) would be something like a controlled discussion - not a formalised debate so much but with a mediator to keep the reponses to the point and logically and evidentially sound.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:07 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think atheists here may feel that all they are doing is dispassionate criticism. However this just means they're really lacking in self-awareness.

You don't really do it, but there are atheists who equate religion to Nazism, demean us as quasi-humans, blame say we're the biggest threat to the world without support for such a claim, dredge up the most absurd theories to bash them, etc. Those things are not simple criticism. Obviously many, perhaps most, atheists here don't do that but a sizable minority do. "Lying for atheism" (Galileo was killed by the Inquisition, Columbus was going to be attacked by the Church for proving the Earth is round, Jesus is identical to Horus, etc) is also not simple criticism.

Anyway moving beyond food and sleep I think we probably do share some values. Like honesty, compassion, The Golden Rule, and not having sex with your own mother. (I only mention the last because it's the only taboo I know of that's in all cultures and some apes too.)
There are atheists like that and perhaps I am lacking in self - awareness that I don't notice them doing it here, particularly. It is perhaps an unavoidable bias on my part that I do find myself noticing regular mentions of Stalin, Pol Pot and Nazi - Eugenics whenever atheism comes up.

Incidentally, I don't think I have ever seen a well -informed atheist claim that Galilaeo was killed by the Inquisition or that Columbus was going to be attacked by the Church for proving that the world was round. The Church did, however, oppose any science which displaced the earth as the centre of the solar system and perhaps atheism is quite justified in not wanting to see the Church or, more urgently protestant Creationists, from getting that sort of power.

Finally, you will realise that the taboo against sex with the mother in non - human primates (about the only one they have) is thus more likely to have some Evolutionary origins than being down to some God - given moral code. I am not on a 'Yah, you got it wrong' trip here, but I'm just suggesting that such pronouncements require thinking just that bit further.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-13-2010 at 08:29 AM..

Old 09-13-2010, 04:55 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
It is very hard to have a 'respectful' discussion with someone when you both know that their views are diametrically opposed to yours.
All your intentions may be good when you start but...............
I think I cancel more posts than I post

Old 09-13-2010, 05:30 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
And some Christians claim that societies without religion are superficial and will make you want to kill yourself. All people have blind spots. It's human nature - people will have opinions. If you're going to get bent out of shape from things like this, a religious discussion forum might not be the best place to hang out.
Touche, not a bad point.

However

1) I'm pretty sure I backed off on that a bit and maybe even apologized for it some.

2) Irreligious nations really do tend to have higher suicide rates. This is mentioned as a concessionary point in an article by the Council of Secular Humanism. The main point of the article is that irreligious nations are better.

Council for Secular Humanism

Old 09-13-2010, 07:06 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

There! There! Poor little chap. Mummy kiss you better.
See...I just KNEW you'd rise to the occasion!!

Where did you find the picture of that kid?!!!!!...That was at least as good as the "Flying Pig" picture.

Now I'm trying to figure out (in between the eye tearing bouts of laughter) if you spent a lot of time coming up with something THAT hilarious (The, "There! There!...Mummy kiss"...OMG, LMAO!) or if you are sooooo good that it was no big deal to come up with it.

Either way...you have more than redeemed yourself...and your #1 MLS ranking is well secure.

Thanks for the great laugh Rafius...like I said before, it seems I can always count on you to come through.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:16 PM

465 posts, read 528,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
See...I just KNEW you'd rise to the occasion!!

Where did you find the picture of that kid?!!!!!...That was at least as good as the "Flying Pig" picture.

Now I'm trying to figure out (in between the eye tearing bouts of laughter) if you spent a lot of time coming up with something THAT hilarious (The, "There! There!...Mummy kiss"...OMG, LMAO!) or if you are sooooo good that it was no big deal to come up with it.

Either way...you have more than redeemed yourself...and your #1 MLS ranking is well secure.

Thanks for the great laugh Rafius...like I said before, it seems I can always count on you to come through.
rofl...wow.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:56 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You know, I find this subject very interesting and I think that if we were all to sit together in the same room we would probably be very surprised as to how much we do have in common, we all wish to be respected for our words and we all wish to have our words heard by others with respect and granted respect from others is to be earned, but how do you earn that respect if no one listens. Among my people we have a custom that is used whenever we sit in council, it is called a talking stick and the purpose of the talking stick is to give the individual who has possession of it the right to speak without interruption, when that person finishes speaking the stick is then passed on to another who wishes to speak, however there is a great responsibility that comes when holding the talking stick, the individual holding it at the time, has within his/her hand the sacred power of words, only he/she can speak while he/she holds the stick, the other council members must remain silent and listen with respect, even if you don't agree with what the individual is saying, you still must respect his/her right to say those words, however the speaker should not forget that he/she carries within him/herself a sacred spark of the Creator and therefore he/she is also sacred, if he/she feels they cannot honor the talking stick with their words, they should refrain from speaking so they will not dishonor themselves. When they are again in control of their words, the stick will be returned to them.
This is a custom that my people have held for many centuries and because of that we learn to respect one another, regardless of our beliefs or disbelieves. Something that maybe we should all learn.
Wonderful post.....may I add I am not surprised at the number of posters who admit they are "entertained" by some of the debating tactics used in the forum.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Did you not read this paragraph in my post #4 of this thread?:
It's basically...we don't like "X", "Y", or "Z"...we feel it is some kind of "bad" thing, or some kind of "threat"...and we are going to attack it...and if you don't like that, "too bad". MOF...it is most common to see the taking of exception...that someone took exception! And I'm not talking about "joking around", or "snarky jest"...I'm talking about "down and dirty", "below the belt", as "insulting as can be"...TRYING to hurt and mock. And willing to specifically devote THOUSANDS OF HOURS to it!

Please note the bolded portion.

"Sprinkling sand down the collar"...is in a different class from what I commonly see here. My affinity for "Don Rickles" type humor has been oft professed...MOF, I have often COMPLIMENTED amusing snarky posts by others...even encouraged it. It's entertaining and amusing. "Mean, cruel, mocking, and insulting, ISN'T...and I consistently come down against that. I respect ALL viewpoints...even if I don't agree.

Do you really not know the difference?
I apologize.....I too, took the "sand down the collar" comment too literally...I also have a very wicked and dry sense of humor which is sometimes taken too literally and misunderstood..

Old 09-13-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
It was KC that did the catching.
LOL...that's why I said YOU to the poster...but I realize now that Gld was being facetious and I took the comment too literally; however I'm still learning the different poster's styles in this forum; as I too love to be witty within reason and am sometimes taken the wrong way. It's easy to be misinterpreted on the internet until you get to know each poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality