Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-15-2010, 07:13 AM
 
174 posts, read 372,796 times
Reputation: 120

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Hello boyo! I'm Welsh too. Cymru Am Byth
S'mae, Rafius, a phob hwyl! Hello and Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2010, 04:13 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I agree....while I may find many beliefs absolutely ridiculous....I feel I still should attempt to respect them; otherwise I cannot expect those same people to respect my beliefs...which though logical...LOL....may not seem so obvious to them.

Let me add that though all of us are "firm" in our beliefs...we would all be fools to think that ANY one of us has all the correct answers.....a wise man keeps his heart and mind open to others..

Also I do know many religious folks who believe in Evolution....do not take the Bible literally......and are in favor of equal rights for gay people etc....I'd be a fool to alienate them from my way of thinking and my "camp"(no pun intended...LOL). I need their votes(parade music plays).

PS...the emoticons go a long way to avoid one's posts from being misunderstood.
Good luck respecting...
"Respecting" the belief that gays should be stone to death.
"Respecting" the belief that a man should be allow to beat his wife.
"Respecting" any beliefs that try to take away eqaulity.
"Respecting" any beliefs that say a group of people should be slaughter.
"Respecting" racist, sexists and bigoted beliefs.

Beliefs do not deserve respect, because they are beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 04:18 PM
 
Location: OKC
5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Reputation: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Good luck respecting...
"Respecting" the belief that gays should be stone to death.
"Respecting" the belief that a man should be allow to beat his wife.
"Respecting" any beliefs that try to take away eqaulity.
"Respecting" any beliefs that say a group of people should be slaughter.
"Respecting" racist, sexists and bigoted beliefs.

Beliefs do not deserve respect, because they are beliefs.
Can I rep you again? No, I have to spread it around.

Any way, like you said, a "belief" is not automatically entitled to respect. It has to merit respect.

And Just because a "belief" calls itself a "religion", that shouldn't spare it from the intellectual vetting process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 05:16 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Can I rep you again? No, I have to spread it around.

Any way, like you said, a "belief" is not automatically entitled to respect. It has to merit respect.

And Just because a "belief" calls itself a "religion", that shouldn't spare it from the intellectual vetting process.
This topic reminds me of this video..

YouTube - Sam Harris makes a joke and a point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 06:11 PM
 
56 posts, read 94,569 times
Reputation: 27
There would be more respect if we all were in the same physical room eyeball to eyeball instead of C-D FORUM where we can hide behind a username.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 06:50 PM
 
16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Reputation: 8383
Quote:
Originally Posted by perwil3356 View Post
There would be more respect if we all were in the same physical room eyeball to eyeball instead of C-D FORUM where we can hide behind a username.
But it stifles the truth, some are reluctant to share their views out of fear, repercussions at work or community, or are mandated to silence on some topics by their position or profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 08:51 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by perwil3356 View Post
There would be more respect if we all were in the same physical room eyeball to eyeball instead of C-D FORUM where we can hide behind a username.
Yea.... much more respect...

YouTube - Lars Vilks attacked by muslims
That fat guy who threaten bill maher on religulous...

Lets face it, the religious act like children...


But hey, what happens when you get two religious people to talk?

YouTube - islam women vs christian man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 11:10 PM
 
Location: 30-40°N 90-100°W
13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Reputation: 6790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Yea.... much more respect...

YouTube - Lars Vilks attacked by muslims
That fat guy who threaten bill maher on religulous...

Lets face it, the religious act like children...
Unlike the irreligious who talk about Spaghetti Monsters, obsess on Jesus going to the latrine, never take responsibility for things people like you do wrong, believe Youtube videos justify broad-brush generalizations about billions of people, etc.

Obviously most irreligious are not like any of those, but some fit that to a tee. A certain portion of every group acts like children. The irreligious might be less likely to act like five-year-olds, but acting like one of the more obnoxious eleven-year-old is not as much of an improvement as you might believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 11:47 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Unlike the irreligious who talk about Spaghetti Monsters, obsess on Jesus going to the latrine, never take responsibility for things people like you do wrong, believe Youtube videos justify broad-brush generalizations about billions of people, etc.
People like me? What do humanist like me do wrong because of our humanist beliefs?

Are you denying that having an invisible friend isn't childish? That believing in magic is childish? That believing that outrageous fairytale is not childish?
The religious are childish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Obviously most irreligious are not like any of those, but some fit that to a tee. A certain portion of every group acts like children. The irreligious might be less likely to act like five-year-olds, but acting like one of the more obnoxious eleven-year-old is not as much of an improvement as you might believe.
Wow, comparing an obnoxious eleven year old with a violent/murderous 5 year old..
I find it puzzling that you somehow can compare someone who criticizes and laughs at ridiculous beliefs, to people who threaten, kill, seek to remove rights from minorities, and impose their religions laws upon everyone...
It clearly shows that you wish to lower anyone who has different beliefs to the same level as the scum of the earth. The same level to those who deserve punishment.
Of course, from my experience and looking back throughout history, that's not very surprising; but hey, I think I'll point that fact out AGAIN.

As for youtube videos, they are great, many people have a habit of not reading what I type and just start making assumptions based on some ill thought out preconceived notion, on how the non religious act

Here's one that I think you should watch.

YouTube - Offensive Ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2010, 05:02 AM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Reputation: 14888
I wonder how many posters read the OP and immediately thought, "Yeah! The *other side* needs to learn some respect!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top