Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 08:04 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why do we need common ground? We don't need other people, so whatever we do will or won't be answered for after we die. Some think we'll be reincarnated, some think there's nothingness...whatever happens, happens, and I don't expect to change anyone's mind, or let them change mine.
GEESH!!!!.....Every party has a pooper........thanx for ruining the dialogue that was developing between diametrically opposed opinions....hence proving some folks are, in fact, unreachable. .

YouTube - The Party Pooper Song! Franc!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Even when you're tolerant of others, and try to leave them alone, it doesn't mean that they will treat you with the same respect.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

YouTube - It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 11:46 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
I guess another way of putting it is--"Is respect earned? Or is there some basic level of respect that everyone is entitled to until they show otherwise?"
Good point. I was thinking the same thing. I give everyone respect until they prove they are not worthy of it. Perhaps there is a difference in how people define `respect.`To me, having respect for people does not mean necessarily that I agree with their views. What I don`t respect are people who deliberately twist the intended meaning of a post in order to make the other person look like a fool. That indicates they are not interested in dialogue, or any sort of common ground, or deeper understanding of an issue.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:50 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
According to a PRC Survey atheists/agnostics and the religious are about the same on environmental issues. Atheists/Agnostics are noticeably more pro-environment than Evangelicals, but not dramatically so. Catholics are pretty close to be as pro-environment as atheists/agnostics. The difference between Hispanic Catholics and Atheists/Agnostics on the environment is pretty much negligible.

Catholics, Protestants and the Unaffiliated came out pretty much the same on "additional government assistance to the poor." Non-White Christians tend to favor "additional assistance" more than White Christians or the Unaffiliated without racial specification.

Helping the poor seems to be the thing Christian clergy talk most about. Abortion looks to be about the second.

Few Say Religion Shapes Immigration, Environment Views - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Anyway, to be more serious than pizza, it seems possible helping the environment and the poor is something people across most religions could unite on. Even Republicans will go for it so long as it's not hurting business. I seem to recall Richard Dawkins even uniting with some Anglican bishop on an environmental cause. The Audubon Society members I knew were largely Christians, but I imagine they have atheists too as it's not a religious group or anything. And I'd think improved water sources for Africa, or the Measles vaccine projects, are something that would transcend religion. Or general private groups to feed starving people and the like.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Even when you're tolerant of others, and try to leave them alone, it doesn't mean that they will treat you with the same respect.
I'm sorely aware of that; but it doesn't mean we should not attempt to open a dialogue and try to be more tolerant/respectful. IF nobody tries then this world will never change for the better. If I myself just went by past experiences...I would have nuked half the planet's surface decades ago. ;-) There is always hope for the future. Otherwise there is not much to look forward to; relative to the current state of world affairs.

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 09-20-2010 at 07:05 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Good point. I was thinking the same thing. I give everyone respect until they prove they are not worthy of it. Perhaps there is a difference in how people define `respect.`To me, having respect for people does not mean necessarily that I agree with their views. What I don`t respect are people who deliberately twist the intended meaning of a post in order to make the other person look like a fool. That indicates they are not interested in dialogue, or any sort of common ground, or deeper understanding of an issue.
That's a good way to explain what I too mean by respect.....doesn't mean...I like and/or even asgree with another poster....I may actually find their comments quite vile, as I sometimes do here at C-D.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:29 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,889 times
I've just read through this entire thread and I have to say that for the most part everyone was civil and tolerant. That's truley a breath of fresh air for CD. Thank you for this thread. There may be hope after all. We don't all have to believe the same things but tolerance can go a long way. You don't have to respect someone else's beliefs but tolerating their view point doesn't make you less of a person.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I've just read through this entire thread and I have to say that for the most part everyone was civil and tolerant. That's truley a breath of fresh air for CD. Thank you for this thread. There may be hope after all. We don't all have to believe the same things but tolerance can go a long way. You don't have to respect someone else's beliefs but tolerating their view point doesn't make you less of a person.
Good point. I agree.

And props to PITTS2SARA for promoting tolerance and respect...even toward different points of view.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Another benefit of civility is that there is a remote possibility that someone will come over to your side if you don't unload vitriol on them. There is no possibility at all if you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality