Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:02 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times

Advertisements

God wants us to live on our knees and always praise him.
God wants us to rebel only against false religions and their prophets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 10:04 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Strange. Does God wants us to rebel and sin?
If you read scripture properly, you can only conclude that God wanted Satan to rebel or become God’s loyal opposition, .as well as God wanting Adam and Eve to disobey His command.
That's a very cogent point, and raises the question of whether a 'purely good' being could exist without a 'purely evil' counterpart.

Some philosophers say that such wouldn't be possible, because without the concept of 'evil', we wouldn't understand the concept of 'good'. In that case, that Satan/the Devil exists is an inescapable consequince of God's own existence, and Satan must exist to make God's existence possible.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I have to prove that black is white and get run over at a zebra crossing*.

*Ten points to whoever gets that reference.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:47 PM

409 posts, read 399,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Are you doing God's will?
Other than what man has written, how do you know what God wants?

If any man come unto me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brother, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he can not be my disciple." John 3:15

Is this the will of God?

Regards
DL
I found that at Luke 14:26 and what it really means is to be a disciple, you must not love your family or yourself more than you do Jesus and God. We aren't to hate but to love even our enemies, so no, God nor Jesus wants us to actually hate our families.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:39 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
If there was no sin in the world....a lot of preists would be out of a job.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
If he doesn't want us to sin/rebel, then why does he act as an enabler for us to do just that?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,105,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Your bringing up of god allowing the serpent in the garden is why I think that if it all was true, the calvinist version is true. He had it planned out from the very beginning.

"The lamb slain before the foundation of the world"

Why have jesus "killed" before everything if you didn't have some sort of plan?
How can someone be slain before the slayers are born?

Ya. God's perfect plan that includes the murder of His own son before and while God can forgive without that murder.
Go away with your foolishness.

Your God would have to be some kind of idiot with such a perfect plan.

Regards
DL

Old 09-15-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
God wants us to live on our knees and always praise him.
God wants us to rebel only against false religions and their prophets.
Then why is He creating them if not to rebel against and if that is the right policy then Eve did the right thing in rebelling.

Any prophet or God who tries to deny man such important knowledge as that of good and evil, the source of our moral sense is a false prophet or God.
Bible God is exactly that. A false God.

Regards
DL

Old 09-15-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
That's a very cogent point, and raises the question of whether a 'purely good' being could exist without a 'purely evil' counterpart.

Some philosophers say that such wouldn't be possible, because without the concept of 'evil', we wouldn't understand the concept of 'good'. In that case, that Satan/the Devil exists is an inescapable consequince of God's own existence, and Satan must exist to make God's existence possible.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I have to prove that black is white and get run over at a zebra crossing*.

*Ten points to whoever gets that reference.
Thanks for the thumbs up.

Regards
DL

Old 09-15-2010, 08:54 AM

The main focus of my thread is to show theists that they are reading the fall incorrectly and should return to the original reading of the creation myth the way the Hebrew and Jews did.
As man's elevation and not our fall.
Most have forgotten where our moral sense comes from and that to disobey a command to not go after it, is the right thing to do, and that we should revere Eve and not blame her for our woes.
Look at the harm to woman and mankind that has been done over time because of this idea of a fall.
Man has used it to oppressed her for 3,000 years.
If any woman does not get on board for a new interpretation of Genesis and the fall, then they loose any right to complain because they are letting men accuse them of wrong doing and are showing themselves to be sheeple instead of good people.
Do they not recognize how badly mankind is in need of their initial wisdom that man has suppressed with brute strength?
They either have to rise up or stop complaining when man throws them down to **** them again and again and again.
We have used her as our excuse for our own shortcomings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65jGtEfPntA

Regards
DL

Old 09-15-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avasa View Post
I found that at Luke 14:26 and what it really means is to be a disciple, you must not love your family or yourself more than you do Jesus and God. We aren't to hate but to love even our enemies, so no, God nor Jesus wants us to actually hate our families.
Deut 21
18If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
19Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
20And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
21And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Ya. love of family.
I can do this all day.

Start thinking.

If God is to be our example of how to love our children then His example of love for His children is shown quite well in Noah's day when He drowned all of His children including real children and babies.

A God who can cure just as easily as kill, and chooses to kill, is a God without morals or sense or love.

Regards
DL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality