Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:23 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Knowing people actually believe this really scares me.

I agree with someone who previously said the ancients called the sky and beyond the heavens.

As far as heaven being a place with a pearly white gate and eternal happiness or 50 virgins waiting for you...well thats just something to keep the weakminded uneducated sheeple in line.
I know. Just read it. After it blandly confesses that a lot of early cultures knew as much, it goes on to try to steal a bit of 'hidden scientific knowledge' credit (haven't we seen the same thing here with absurd claims of entropy in Psalms or underwater superheated vents in Job) by 'interpreting' some passages (there is a hint of re - translating here) to make them fit some discoveries.

I suppose we should be thankful that they are still trying to cash in on the continued reputation of science rather than just dismissing it altogether.

"Dr. Moore said, “It has been a great pleasure for me to help clarify statements in the Qur’aan about human development. It is clear to me that these statements must have come to Muhammad from God or Allah, because almost all of this knowledge was not discovered until many centuries later. This proves to me that Muhammad must have been a messenger of God or Allah.”

http://emuslim.com/QuranandScience/Embryology.asp

This just underlines my misgivings about Scientists having part of their brain given over to Faith.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-19-2010 at 07:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:58 PM

439 posts, read 556,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
A book written by men proves nothing and before you say it is inspired by god, there is no proof of that either.

Any which way you look at these things there is no tangible evidence of heaven, hell, god or anything spiritual.

It is all in a believer's head, reinforced by the church and leaders, rituals and practices.

The Amazing Qur'an Dr. Miller's famous work.
http://www.thetruecall.com/home/modu...p=getit&lid=26

Old 09-22-2010, 05:41 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Where in the world does this kind of thinking come from?...
From many years of indoctrination....started when they are very young.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:16 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
From many years of indoctrination....started when they are very young.

The vast majority (> 95%) of religious or spiritual people in the world are that way because they were brainwashed by their parents (and community/environment). It is no coincidence that the US is predominantly christian, Pakistan predominantly islam, India predominantly hindu, etc.

In a binary sense, it almost seems like people have a bit set in their brains to either believe and accept all this religious/spiritual nonsense or not set to reject it. Weird. There doesn't seem to be too many wishy-washy people - on the fence people: "Well maybe there's a god, but I'm not sure, maybe a 50-50 chance...". Most people seem to be either 99.99-0.01 or 0.01-99.99 percent. All or nothing.

Also, there's a pretty strong correlation of education (and IQ) to atheism (agnosticism, disbelief). The more education (or higher IQ) a person has, in general, the less likely hes is to be religious. Countries with a lot of uneducated people tend to have a lot of people who believe all that hocus pocus.

Last edited by Charles; 09-22-2010 at 07:24 AM..

Old 09-22-2010, 07:51 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The vast majority (> 95%) of religious or spiritual people in the world are that way because they were brainwashed by their parents (and community/environment). It is no coincidence that the US is predominantly christian, Pakistan predominantly islam, India predominantly hindu, etc.

In a binary sense, it almost seems like people have a bit set in their brains to either believe and accept all this religious/spiritual nonsense or not set to reject it. Weird. There doesn't seem to be too many wishy-washy people - on the fence people: "Well maybe there's a god, but I'm not sure, maybe a 50-50 chance...". Most people seem to be either 99.99-0.01 or 0.01-99.99 percent. All or nothing.

Also, there's a pretty strong correlation of education (and IQ) to atheism (agnosticism, disbelief). The more education (or higher IQ) a person has, in general, the less likely hes is to be religious. Countries with a lot of uneducated people tend to have a lot of people who believe all that hocus pocus.
I absolutely agree....and it's been well proven that the only thing that separates Christians from Muslims is GEOGRAPHY. Where one is born and what one is raised with plays a HUGE role in what religion one will follow and hold as the absolute truth.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:53 PM

439 posts, read 556,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The vast majority (> 95%) of religious or spiritual people in the world are that way because they were brainwashed

Those who justify the cause of our existence to evolution are the one who were brainwashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality