Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:52 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,547,281 times

Advertisements

I've read the bible cover to cover and the new testament no less than ten times. I don't have to look far to realize that by my interpretation there are no Christians.

Be Meek
Turn The Other Cheek
Walk The Extra Mile
Do Unto Others
Love Thy Neighbor
If Sued In Court For Coat, Voluntarily Give Cloak
Love Thy Enemies
Pray For Those Who Curse And Despise You
Sell What You Have And Give It To The Poor

I've never met a good Christian...'course I'm only 76...and I didn't even mention tithing

Christians donate to a Sunday morning preacher and pay all his expenses...including his home.

The donations pay for carpeting, air conditioning, stained glass, oak and mahagony pews, musical instruments, expensive sound systems, steeples, paying for minister's of education, Sunday school directors, professional music ministers, et. al.

Precise instructions were given to Noah...cubit by cubit. Strange there's not a word in the bible about building a church.

Today the church controls more wealth and real property than any other entity on earth except the governments of the world.

When Will They Live Up To Their Charge And Take Care Of The 900,000,000 On This Planet(mostly children) Who Are Starving To Death Or Suffering From Complications Of Malnutrition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 03:00 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,173,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
I've read the bible cover to cover and the new testament no less than ten times. I don't have to look far to realize that by my interpretation there are no Christians.

Be Meek
Turn The Other Cheek
Walk The Extra Mile
Do Unto Others
Love Thy Neighbor
If Sued In Court For Coat, Voluntarily Give Cloak
Love Thy Enemies
Pray For Those Who Curse And Despise You
Sell What You Have And Give It To The Poor

I've never met a good Christian...'course I'm only 76...and I didn't even mention tithing

Christians donate to a Sunday morning preacher and pay all his expenses...including his home.

The donations pay for carpeting, air conditioning, stained glass, oak and mahagony pews, musical instruments, expensive sound systems, steeples, paying for minister's of education, Sunday school directors, professional music ministers, et. al.

Precise instructions were given to Noah...cubit by cubit. Strange there's not a word in the bible about building a church.

Today the church controls more wealth and real property than any other entity on earth except the governments of the world.

When Will They Live Up To Their Charge And Take Care Of The 900,000,000 On This Planet(mostly children) Who Are Starving To Death Or Suffering From Complications Of Malnutrition?
My concept after reading the NT....is one that ACTUALLY lives the life that Jesus told them to. Like you....I've never met one either...and really don't expect to in my lifetime.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:06 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,343,375 times
Quote:
I've read the bible cover to cover and the new testament no less than ten times.
Why would anybody in their right mind do this?

What makes a good christian? Have an open mind to accept that all the religious stories they've been told are probably bogus and realize god probably doesn't exist.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:21 PM

4,323 posts, read 5,993,734 times
I would say that not many know what a good Christian is because they've probably never seen one. I have seen at least three in my lifetime. One is a baptist, if I remember right, and the other two are Divine Love christians. They do exactly what is on the list and more. They also have great senses of humor! And no, I am not pulling anyones legs with this.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:37 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,477,420 times
Sad to say, over the past 30 years or so I've come to believe that the Patron Saint of most modern-day "Christians" is likely to be Saint Ebeneezer (Scrooge). Think about it just for a moment. Here's the dialogue from a portion of the book:

===============================================

'At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge,' said the gentleman, taking up a pen, 'it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.'

'Are there no prisons?' asked Scrooge.

'Plenty of prisons,' said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

'And the Union workhouses.' demanded Scrooge. 'Are they still in operation?

'They are. Still,' returned the gentleman. 'I wish I could say they were not.'

'The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?' said Scrooge.

'Both very busy, sir.'

'Oh. I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,' said Scrooge. 'I'm very glad to hear it.'

'Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,' returned the gentleman, 'a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?'

'Nothing!' Scrooge replied.

'You wish to be anonymous?'

'I wish to be left alone,' said Scrooge. 'Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned-they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there.'

'Many can't go there; and many would rather die.'

'If they would rather die,' said Scrooge, 'they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population. Besides-excuse me-I don't know that.'

'But you might know it,' observed the gentleman.

'It's not my business,' Scrooge returned. 'It's enough for a man to understand his own business, and not to interfere with other people's. Mine occupies me constantly. Good afternoon, gentlemen!'

Old 09-29-2010, 03:57 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,451,253 times
Quote:
Don't get out much?

Quote:
Blah, Blah, Blah,

Feed The Children: Help Feed Hungry Children

Sponsor a Child < Home | World Vision - Child Sponsorship

https://www.samaritanspurse.org/inde...?cr=google_ad1

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-starving.html

Christian Service Charities: CSC - CSC

etc........

Pleeze, research before you post.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:59 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,930,200 times
What's my concept of a good Christian? My mother-in-law and this one dude I work with. They are the closest things to what Jesus ostensibly talked about in the gospels that I have ever seen. I still won't become one again, but I respect both of them a lot as they actually represent. They do a lot more walkin' and a lot less talkin'.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:06 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,018,362 times
I've met good Christians. They behave ethically, help in making this world a better place, have respect for other people and other religions. They are active in interfaith activities. Don't try to convert others because the Christians I know don't accept that they have the only truth.

My parents are the example of what good Christians are.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:08 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,477,420 times
Okay, let's test this. How many of the above do you, actually and personally, devote your time and energy to? Or are you content to point to the good works of others and say "Me, too..."

Old 09-29-2010, 04:12 PM

465 posts, read 526,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Okay, let's test this. How many of the above do you, actually and personally, devote your time and energy to? Or are you content to point to the good works of others and say "Me, too..."
or maybe boasting about the good works to be seen by men? Clearly going against what Jesus said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality