Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:08 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,108,376 times

Advertisements

Fathers. Who would you sacrifice? You or your son?

There is a lot of information and arguments around questioning the divinity and sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Even his historicity is unproven and the general consensus seems to be that he never existed and that the scriptures are a re-write of older religions. In fact, the story of Jesus resembles many of the older Gods right back to 3,000 BCE in Egypt as Horus.
The fact is that we will probably never know. For this little exercise in thought
though, I will assume that he was real and sent by his father as scripture says to die for us.
God is suppose to set the standard of thoughts and actions for mankind. We are suppose to emulate him in every way. Scripture urges us to seek to be as perfect as God.
Yet here on earth, it has been our custom that if a son or father needs to be sacrificed, the father usually steps up. We would all find it counter intuitive if God and Jesus were on a sinking ship and God took the life boat and let Jesus drown. If he could that is. We do send our sons to war but that is somewhat different and I would exclude that consideration here.
Why then do we so readily applaud God sending Jesus to die instead of stepping up himself. Other than the father son relationship, they were identical, so to speak. Why would God or the Bible try to teach us that fathers should sacrifice their sons?
Human fathers believe it better to have the sons bury them instead of them burying the sons. That is certainly my wish and if God asked differently from me, even the Godhead that I believe in truly, I would tell it to kiss my eh, rump.
From outside of Christianity, if we saw Christians follow their Gods example in this issue, most of the world and I dare say, even the non literal and fundamental Christians would condemn their own God and fellow Christians if the fathers sacrificed the sons ahead of themselves.
This is rather a catch 22 for Christians.
As a Christian, would you follow your God's example on this issue, in effect follow His command to emulate him as you are asked to do by your church and Bible, and sacrifice your son,
or
would you ignore your God and church, in effect break the first commandment, and place your standards above God’s, and step up yourself as a parent to sacrifice yourself?
Who would you sacrifice? You or your child?
Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 01:11 PM

223 posts, read 269,304 times
Personally I'd sacrafice a Goat.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:35 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,687,645 times
Would never harm my child. I will go with the goat idea above.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:02 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,575,111 times
Goat works for me.

With that said, the NT indicates that Jesus was God in the flesh. Not a big deal, because God can be in two places at once.

So in a real sense what God allowed is not exactly the same as a human father sacrificing his son. He actually did sacifice himself, not his kid.

And yea, I would take a bullet for either of my kids.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:24 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,162,929 times
I would never sacrifice my child, especially for my own f**k up or situation I was responsible for creating in the first place like Bible god did. A true God should be able to forgive humanity with a thought or a word. Requiring some silly blood sacrifice is as absurd as throwing a virgin into a volcano or cutting peoples hearts out to bring rain.

Of course, one could argue that there really was no sacrifice on Jesus' part since he was God and didn't really die.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:31 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,513,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Goat works for me.

With that said, the NT indicates that Jesus was God in the flesh. Not a big deal, because God can be in two places at once.

So in a real sense what God allowed is not exactly the same as a human father sacrificing his son. He actually did sacifice himself, not his kid.

And yea, I would take a bullet for either of my kids.
So why did Jesus pray to God, and why did he ask God why he had forsaken him? Clearly, "Jesus" and "God" are two distinct personalities, according to the bible.

The bible is incoherent.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:37 PM

223 posts, read 269,304 times
Duh, everyone talks to themselves. When Jesus shouted out, "Father, why have you forsaken me" he was clearly asking himself to do something about his own predicament, which ironically he already understood to be self sacrafice for the sins of humankind. Yet at the moment of that willing, loving sacrafice for human kind, he regarded himself as forsaken.

If that doesn't make perfect sense to you, then enjoy the firey pit of hell, because that's where you're going. Whicha!

Old 10-06-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank316 View Post
Personally I'd sacrafice a Goat.
Bob and weave. That was not a given option.

You must be a theist. Most non believers can answer a question with straight answers.

Regards
DL

Old 10-06-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
I would never sacrifice my child, especially for my own f**k up or situation I was responsible for creating in the first place like Bible god did. A true God should be able to forgive humanity with a thought or a word. Requiring some silly blood sacrifice is as absurd as throwing a virgin into a volcano or cutting peoples hearts out to bring rain.

Of course, one could argue that there really was no sacrifice on Jesus' part since he was God and didn't really die.
You get the prize for the most thoughtful answer so far.
Thanks for this.

Regards
DL

Old 10-06-2010, 05:20 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,646,865 times
Neither.

But that probably won't fit your narrow definition of an "answer", will it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality