Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 04:08 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,842,544 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one? Cover the subject under emergentism, which some could decidedly believe to be transcendently opposing their Consciousness. I have no problem with that: I mystify th emerging Consciousness successfully s being consciousness of something: and thereby It emerges immanently. to within my Mind. Doesn't mean I interpret the Being of what knowledge I have atuned myself to. I simply remember my own past.

remembering my own past determines the emergence for concepts of something somewhat like a FAD. I really believe my concepts of the so-called emerging universe are IN. I catch a trend and that means to Know as well in worship of knowledge and expense for this Knowledge whether the religious takes that subject seriously and basically whether I Believe for God in it's imaginative content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 05:44 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,778,812 times
Anyone?

I tend to look at a mountain and reason tells me that it is made of rock molecules and does not embody any properties which are not found at the molecular level.

Similarly, I feel the same way about computers, though the complexity of the functions may lead us to be believe that there is some extra property that 'emerged' from somewhere not apparent. This strikes me as no more than anthropomorphism or human myth - making.

Thus I would reason towards a reductionism view since reason tells me there is no reason to suppose that any property not potentially extant at the basic level emerges or could emerge in anything or everything, no matter how big or complex it may become.

Those who may argue for an emergent property may, I suspect, have begun with the postulated property and sprung the emergency on us in an attempt to find some evidence for it.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-17-2010 at 06:12 AM..

Old 10-17-2010, 06:22 AM

Default Maybe this can be reductionism for holistic science.

I don't know. We want to be purists in the name of eliminating hypocrisy.

Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics

Old 10-17-2010, 08:44 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,692,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
Am I the only one? Cover the subject under emergentism, which some could decidedly believe to be transcendently opposing their Consciousness. I have no problem with that: I mystify th emerging Consciousness successfully s being consciousness of something: and thereby It emerges immanently. to within my Mind. Doesn't mean I interpret the Being of what knowledge I have atuned myself to. I simply remember my own past.

remembering my own past determines the emergence for concepts of something somewhat like a FAD. I really believe my concepts of the so-called emerging universe are IN. I catch a trend and that means to Know as well in worship of knowledge and expense for this Knowledge whether the religious takes that subject seriously and basically whether I Believe for God in it's imaginative content.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Old 10-17-2010, 08:51 AM

Golf, Arequipa, Romeo, Bravo, Lima, Eldorado.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:47 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,634,823 times
Nancy Oscar November September Egypt Nunavut Steven Eddie

Old 10-17-2010, 12:09 PM

Enough religion for today. Back from church. Telephone at home is off the hook. Religion on the computer has no communion for it's community. Speaking of the church's community of Saints in heaven.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:00 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,894,681 times
Quote:

Technology and humanity -- quite an interesting subject.

On reflection, I think the ultimate dilemma is: where does Man stop and Machine begin?

In his short film series, 'Molotov Alva: the Search for the Creator', Douglas Gaeyton explores the journey of the eponymous character as he sheds his 'analog' (real) life for a 'digital' existance inside the virtual reality of Second Life.

Alva's search begins as he explores the concept of personal identity: he can alter his appearance at will, changing every physical aspect of the being known as 'Molotov Alva' to conform to his own desires.

As he explores Second Life, Alva starts to search for its Creator, and ultimately discovers that Second Life doesn't have a single Creator; instead, it's built by the minds of its users, each of whom is a Creator.

Alva ascends from the physical (where 'self' is, for the most part, a fixed concept) to the virtual (where 'self' becomes much more nebulous and uncertain). Alva's search, then, would seem to present a deeper issue: can we continue to define our Creator as an external and independant being, or is the concept dependant on some deeper, undefined internal mechanism?

In the former case, we define God by our pre-conception of physical parameters. In the latter case, God is restricted by no such limits, and becomes a much more mutable reflection of our internal concept of 'self'.

(Okay, now my head *really* hurts....)

Old 10-17-2010, 01:30 PM

Interesting. In an odd way, the only model (and it is only a model) that merits the 'God' label is a human limited one. As soon as you abandon the limitations of human conception, it becomes something one could not reasonably call 'god', though one might well do so out of sheer habit.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,557,329 times
Quote:
Enough religion for today. Back from church. Telephone at home is off the hook. Religion on the computer has no communion for it's community. Speaking of the church's community of Saints in heaven.

You are making no sense at all. Perhaps you are having a stroke and should call 911 or go to the ER.

Seriously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality