U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 06:20 PM

253 posts, read 612,680 times

Advertisements

This is something that strikes me again and again on this board. It seems that every time somebody posts a scripture from the OT, somebody else says that that the necessity of that law disappeared after the coming of Christ, there seems to be very little in the OT that most of the Christians on here value. What is there, besides the 10 commandments, that is still of value in the OT? Why do we keep all those 'outdated' messeges in the Bible?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 06:29 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,431,154 times
Good question.
I have thought about this many times myself, as the OT is oftentimes over-looked.
To me it seems that much of what is being said in the OT actually contradicts much of what Jesus said, and therefor, as a Christian, I chose to follow what Jesus said. It seems to be the most accurate, considering that I would like to see Him as a loving and caring G-d, not a revenging and threatening one.

I believe the OT to be an important part of the Christian history (along with others) and explains much, but when there's a contridiction between OT and NT, I chose NT anytime.

I also believe that the NT might be a bit more accurate, since it is mostly made up by the words of Jesus and his doings. The sayings and commands come from Him through Jesus, instead of through prophets. I may be wrong, but if it is said by the Son, I believe the words more than I otherwise would.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:40 PM

22,143 posts, read 31,544,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
This is something that strikes me again and again on this board. It seems that every time somebody posts a scripture from the OT, somebody else says that that the necessity of that law disappeared after the coming of Christ, there seems to be very little in the OT that most of the Christians on here value. What is there, besides the 10 commandments, that is still of value in the OT? Why do we keep all those 'outdated' messeges in the Bible?
This is Jesus talking here Matt 5:17 " Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to fulfill them".

ALL of the Bible is important. Jesus did not say forget the OT, I value the whole Bible, the truth of the OT transcends through time. There is just as much truth in it today as there was when was written, the Bible is not outdated.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
This is Jesus talking here Matt 5:17 " Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to fulfill them".

ALL of the Bible is important. Jesus did not say forget the OT, I value the whole Bible, the truth of the OT transcends through time. There is just as much truth in it today as there was when was written, the Bible is not outdated.
So do you follow all of the rules in the OT?

Old 07-04-2007, 06:49 PM

13,625 posts, read 22,612,886 times
I value the old testament for its history the tribes of Israel..I value the old testament for the history of Christianity. I value the old testament for the lessons in proverbs. I value the old testament for the beauty of the psalms..Mostly, I value the old testament for the predictions of the coming of Gods Son.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:05 PM

7,916 posts, read 17,444,723 times
maniac, I think you've asked a very good question. I've brought up some thoughts about the OT myself and so have others and to be honest I feel there are some parts of the OT that Christians are a little embarrassed about. It is filled with extreme violence and the most brutal acts that human beings or even a God is capable of. Of course my opinion is probably not what you're looking for since I'm an atheist but I do see some stark differences between the tone of the OT and the NT.
By the way, I see you're also a resident of Phoenix. I just rolled the trash can outside and hurried back into the house because it felt like my clothes might catch on fire.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
maniac, I think you've asked a very good question. I've brought up some thoughts about the OT myself and so have others and to be honest I feel there are some parts of the OT that Christians are a little embarrassed about. It is filled with extreme violence and the most brutal acts that human beings or even a God is capable of. Of course my opinion is probably not what you're looking for since I'm an atheist but I do see some stark differences between the tone of the OT and the NT.
By the way, I see you're also a resident of Phoenix. I just rolled the trash can outside and hurried back into the house because it felt like my clothes might catch on fire.
lol, it is pretty warm, I mowed a few lawns after sunup today, warm, warm, warm. But I've always lived in this, it's not too bad if you don't let yourself think it's hot (also wear sunscrean and stay hydrated if you're out there for a long time, and don't go barefoot on the pavement)

Old 07-04-2007, 07:33 PM

52 posts, read 141,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
Let's see what Paul had to say about the old testament scriptures. The old testament was the only recognized "scriptures" existing at the time Paul wrote these words.

2 Timothy 3:14-18

"But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

Old 07-04-2007, 07:37 PM

1,959 posts, read 4,875,475 times
As ILNC rightly pointed out, I value all of the Bible. The Bible is outdated to those that wish it to be, but it is not! Consider the following:

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." (2 Timothy 3:16)

"Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster." (Galatians 3:24,25)

The law (the Old Testament) then becomes fulfillment of prophecies and is set forth as examples. There is much to glean rest assured of that.

Speaking of the Old Testament, "Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted." (1 Corinthians 10:6)

"Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come." (1 Corinthians 10:11)

"Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief" (Hebrews 4:11)

"Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience." (James 5:10)

"Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire." (Jude 1:7)

Old 07-04-2007, 07:54 PM

13,625 posts, read 22,612,886 times
I agree, mg, there is plenty of sex and violence in the old testament and some of the Songs of Solomen would probably be rated adult material in book stores. I never understood a lot of the old testament and pretty much dismissed a lot of it as pure legend and myth until I studied literary form. It makes much better sense now. IMO, Much of it is myth and legend, but was still written by inspired persons in a way that the people of 4000 years could understand it. As I said in another post,it is mainly the history of the twelve tribes and the chosen people of the tribe of Judah, and the priestly tribe of the Levites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality