Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:06 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times

Advertisements

I think Alpha give some good advise when saying,

"...I believe God will bless you for following His will and teachings for your life. I do not believe dating would be unforgivable, but I do believe waiting on God's timing in this situation will draw you closer to Him. Why not start an affair of the heart with God? Draw close to Him. spend time with Him. Talk to Him. Listen to Him and let Him talk to you. You have an opportunity to really let yourself fall in love with Jesus. This all may sound pretty out there, but I've heard many people say that they've done this and I only wish I was as spiritually mature as they are."

I would seriously contemplate that. I would also direct you to this study that deals with this very topic in depth. Very Biblicaly sound as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 PM

358 posts, read 916,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Lets see if I can make this clear from a Christian standpoint . . .

ABSOLUTELY NOT! I personally think divorce is not an option, however it seems as though you dont have a choice.
I'm not Christian, and I have a question. I'll be the very first to agree that divorce is quite often for all the wrong reasons and too hastily sought. However, is it really a Christian concept that it is preferable for a woman to put her life in danger with an abusive husband instead of divorcing him?

To carry it further, should a woman stay married to her husband if he is sexually abusing their daughter? This is beyond my moral comprehension.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:49 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
I'm not Christian, and I have a question. I'll be the very first to agree that divorce is quite often for all the wrong reasons and too hastily sought. However, is it really a Christian concept that it is preferable for a woman to put her life in danger with an abusive husband instead of divorcing him?

To carry it further, should a woman stay married to her husband if he is sexually abusing their daughter? This is beyond my moral comprehension.
Both of these examples would merit a divorce, and I'd be surprised if any Christians would disagree. God did not intend for marriage to be dangerous and/or predatory, I've even heard numerous preachers talk about abuse and clearly teach that an abusive marriage is not in any way, shape or form, biblical.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:20 PM

50 posts, read 171,805 times
Thank you all for your advise and prayers.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:24 PM

6 posts, read 36,170 times
matt chp 19......Moses allowed a bill of divorce........the answer is that it was a challeng to Jesus from the religous leaders of the time.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:31 PM

6 posts, read 36,170 times
Default Matthew Chp 19. Bill of Divorce

It "test" or trap addressed to Jesus by the Pharisees at the time. Moses spoke of the Bill of Divorce.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:57 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationsover View Post
I asked the counselor at my church. First, he asked me how I felt my relationship with God was. I told him that I felt it was fine. Then he said to make a list of what I want in a relationship and in a man. I told him I already have done that. Then he said that I should be okay to date and have non-sexual relationships and try to find a man that I would be interested in marrying once the paperwork gets done. My thing is that I feel funny even dating and trying to let myself - in my mind even - want to be with someone else.

Without telling you the one opinion I already got (from the counselor), I wanted other's opinions.
Sounds like too me you need to experience life without a man for a while and figure out what you want in life,then you will be better equipped to make someone else happy.
One foot in front of the other until you take care of one task at a time. Why complicate your life any further. Would he really make it easy on you if you were dating? Sometimes what you once had becomes interesting again or becomes if I can't have her then no one will!!!
Pray,Pray and Pray more let God guide you on this!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 11:34 PM

668 posts, read 681,621 times
Your marriage was anulled when he left your home. Maybe not in the eyes of the government, but I believe you are divorced in the eyes of God. You should date but get to know the guy for a year or two before marrying him. If you can't get a divorce decree from the government, then find a less harsh preacher of a more laid-back church and have the marriage ceremony.

The government is not God. Your marriage no longer exists. You should move on with a clear conscience. I'm very sorry that you had to go through all this, but there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationsover View Post
My estranged husband was abusive from the day after we got home from the honeymoon. He was a perfect man to date, then immediately after getting married, did a 360 and became constantly abusive for no apparent reason. As a Christian, I really don't agree with divorce. However, I read the Bible and found a couple of Biblical reasons that allow divorce. I tried to get him to "just be nice" for over 10 years. He then moved out and immediately moved in with another woman and within 2 weeks was throwing things and cussing at her.

We've been separated for a year and a half now. I keep waiting for him to do the divorce papers. He apparently didn't handle his finances responsibly and his lawyer said he has to get other paperwork done before the divorce papers because he has to show those other papers in child support court as one of the steps of the divorce.

So my question is from a Christian point of view, can I date?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what exactly a 'bill of divorce' was in Biblical times? Was it papers from a judge in the court system like now, or was it just something that the husband wrote himself? Or was it actually written on paper at all or just the husband telling the wife he considers them divorced? If you know the answer, could you let me know and tell me where in the Bible it says what a bill of divorce is?
Vaction: I wanted to respond to this because what you have written is exactly the same as what my best friend went through...(In fact, when I read it I began wondering whether she, too, had discovered CD!) In my friend's case, she went ahead and proceeded with the divorce. Her husband was living with the "other woman" and basically did nothing to help facilitate the divorce. My friend was emotionally and spiritually devastated...She felt she could no longer be a eucharistic minister (forgive my misspelling of the term) and did volumes of research in an attempt to find out whether she could have her marriage annulled. (In the event that she remarried down the line and wanted to be married in the church...) Annulment proved far too difficult; she eventually "picked up the ball," hired an attorney, filed the papers against her husband, and eventually the divorce was finalized. I know it was agonizing for her, and her faith played a huge role in the whole thing...Both in terms of her initial feelings about seeking a divorce as well as what it was the sustained her all the while she was going through it...She felt terrible that her bible study group would expel her...In the end, it all worked out for the best, but it was a long road for her both legally and spiritually getting there...I wish you the best in what sounds like very turbulant times right now. I trust and hope that all works out in the end.

Take gentle care

Old 07-06-2007, 11:53 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,783,345 times
Setting aside the question if it's right or wrong, the fact is you aren't divorced. What are you suppose to tell someone if they ask how long you've been divorced? "Actually... I'm not divorced yet"

If that's not a red flag for the new beau I don't know what is. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality