Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:18 PM

50 posts, read 171,597 times

Advertisements

My estranged husband was abusive from the day after we got home from the honeymoon. He was a perfect man to date, then immediately after getting married, did a 360 and became constantly abusive for no apparent reason. As a Christian, I really don't agree with divorce. However, I read the Bible and found a couple of Biblical reasons that allow divorce. I tried to get him to "just be nice" for over 10 years. He then moved out and immediately moved in with another woman and within 2 weeks was throwing things and cussing at her.

We've been separated for a year and a half now. I keep waiting for him to do the divorce papers. He apparently didn't handle his finances responsibly and his lawyer said he has to get other paperwork done before the divorce papers because he has to show those other papers in child support court as one of the steps of the divorce.

So my question is from a Christian point of view, can I date?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what exactly a 'bill of divorce' was in Biblical times? Was it papers from a judge in the court system like now, or was it just something that the husband wrote himself? Or was it actually written on paper at all or just the husband telling the wife he considers them divorced? If you know the answer, could you let me know and tell me where in the Bible it says what a bill of divorce is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 02:21 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,458,877 times
No........To make this long enough No..No

Old 07-05-2007, 02:23 PM

23,001 posts, read 34,316,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I agree, get the divorce first.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:37 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,186,798 times
Guys, what if this guy is a jerk and desides to never divorce her? I say that God sees the heart and that for every reasonable purpose, they are divorced, spiritually, mentally, physically. A piece of paper is just that: a piece of paper. Move on!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:46 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,863,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I agree, get the divorce first.
I agree with the above. I believe God will bless you for following His will and teachings for your life. I do not believe dating would be unforgivable, but I do believe waiting on God's timing in this situation will draw you closer to Him. Why not start an affair of the heart with God? Draw close to Him. spend time with Him. Talk to Him. Listen to Him and let Him talk to you. You have an opportunity to really let yourself fall in love with Jesus. This all may sound pretty out there, but I've heard many people say that they've done this and I only wish I was as spiritually mature as they are.

It's worth a try, right?

Also, I commend you for even caring to ask for the opinions of other believers. God will honor that as well.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Guys, what if this guy is a jerk and desides to never divorce her? I say that God sees the heart and that for every reasonable purpose, they are divorced, spiritually, mentally, physically. A piece of paper is just that: a piece of paper. Move on!
Do you look at marriage the same way?

I'm curious as to whether the formal marriage act is just some service and piece of paper, or does that only apply to the negative(meaning divorce)?

Old 07-05-2007, 02:49 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,876,765 times
I am with Jeffncandace on this one. You deserve to be happy and I am so sorry this is the situation you were in. I pray your mind, body, and soul are healing from this ordeal. God bless you.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:52 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,595,591 times
I'm also in the "no" camp.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:53 PM

508 posts, read 1,671,219 times
Lets see if I can make this clear from a Christian standpoint . . .

ABSOLUTELY NOT! I personally think divorce is not an option, however it seems as though you dont have a choice. The fact is though that you are still married. Get the divorce. If he won't file, then you should file. You should not still be married because he cannot afford to file for divorce.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm also in the "no" camp.
WHAT?!?!?!?! You must explain further, MontanaGuy!!

You just got the 'Alpha's Most Shocking Post of the Day' award!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality