Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 05:15 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times

Advertisements

To be totally honest, I would feel very sad for my family members who are deeply religious. I know that one of my sisters in particular has had some tough problems in life and has come to rely on her faith so I wouldn't be happy at all. I do think it's an interesting idea to consider from a philosophical standpoint but there's no doubt that it would shatter many people's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 05:19 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." --Albert Einstein

I feel that the supposed non-existence of God would rob us of much of this wonder and awe, if not most or all of it. Ultimately, IMHO, I feel that atheism is based on pessimism...

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to unchartered land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit."-- Helen Keller

Old 07-05-2007, 05:35 PM

211 posts, read 985,317 times
I realized there was no god when I was 19, I am now 27, it kind of sucks looking at life, but I think you look at life more realistically, you see how corrupt people are like the disgusting Republicans who have control of this country

It definetly makes you smarter, but it kind of sucks becuse this world is built on lies corruption and greed so it makes you sad and lonely

Old 07-05-2007, 05:39 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
I think I would react the same way if I discovered that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy never existed, I would cry my eyes out and then move on with life!

Old 07-05-2007, 05:48 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
I realized there was no god when I was 19, I am now 27, it kind of sucks looking at life, but I think you look at life more realistically, you see how corrupt people are like the disgusting Republicans who have control of this country

It definetly makes you smarter, but it kind of sucks becuse this world is built on lies corruption and greed so it makes you sad and lonely
Wow, what a hopeless feeling. Hope you someday realize that there is more to this life than cynicism.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:55 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Yes, I know. Trouble is my middle name. This is actually in response to the question that was posed awhile back asking how we would respond to the obvious return of Jesus so it's just the same thing in reverse. Obviously this wouldn't change my life at all because it's what I already think. But for those of you who do believe, if somehow you were suddenly made aware with absolute certainty that God was not real how would that knowledge change your life?
Respectfully, I submit:
U r asking someone who believes an impossible question. Belief in and of itself precludes any such supposition. What makes a Believer a believer except his or her belief in GOD? The very nature of a Believer is to believe. It is impossible for anyone who is truly a Believer to be "made aware" or have "absolute certainty" that God is not real. Your proposition could only be acceptalbe to Non-believers. GOD IS REAL! Obviously I am a believer and I am glad about it. This is the only way it is possible for me to address your question

Old 07-05-2007, 05:58 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I would like to add that as an atheist I don't find the world to be a depressing and hostile place. In fact, when you really accept the fact that this is your only chance at life it seems to make that life all the more important. I actually have a fairly optimistic view for the progress of humanity and I don't think that as mankind gradually accepts the reality that a God in heaven is just a mythology that we're going to go into some sort of tailspin. I've never believed in God and yet I have morals and I care about people. I really don't think I'm so unusual and I act morally not because I'm afraid of being punished but because I actually want to.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:59 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,219 times
It wouldn't change my life at all. If people need God to do right by humanity, they are not good people to begin with. If people need God to make sense of their life or get their act together, then they are weak. I'd be more afraid for the people who can't think for themselves than have any worries for myself.

I guess I have a different view of a supreme being then most of the people here, and I openly ponder if one does or doesn't exist.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:59 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
I'm really surprised at the amount of believers who responded to this post. To be honest I was expecting a more "That'll never happen so I won't respond to this" kind of attitude. I already know (based on my own thoughts and beliefs) that God does not exist. It wouldn't have any effect on me personally, but like others have said, I wonder how it would effect those whose only moral values stem from their belief in God.

On the other hand, perhaps it would make the world a better place. Would there still be terrorists after this discovery was made? Would religious persecution and religious genocide (particularly in Darfur and Congo) still exist?

Of course, I think for any believer, the only way to disprove this would be for God himself to come down and say "I don't exist." In which case, that would completely negate this entire conversation

People's character can be largely attributed to their own beliefs and that's part of what makes each one of us unique. As frustrating as it is to try and explain to a believer the reasons I don't believe, I am sure it is just as equally frustrating the other way around.

It'd be an interesting time to see what would happen if what I already hold to be true was proven so for others. For me, it'd only confirm what I already believe to be true.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:06 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,789 times
I'd skip church a lot more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality