Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:12 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times

Advertisements

if somehow you were suddenly made aware with absolute certainty that God was not real how would that knowledge change your life?

It wouldn't because that would never happen. God who is real cannot be suddenly unreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 07:35 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,644,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
I realized there was no god when I was 19, I am now 27, it kind of sucks looking at life, but I think you look at life more realistically, you see how corrupt people are like the disgusting Republicans who have control of this country

It definetly makes you smarter, but it kind of sucks becuse this world is built on lies corruption and greed so it makes you sad and lonely
By nature, by the way life has treated me before, I am very realistic (sometimes depressingly realistic), and I am not stupid. I have IQ enough to join Mensa, so it's not about being stupid that I choose to believe in Him. That is a common argument among atheits that has no roots in reality.
So don't worry about Christians not being smart or realistic. We are just as any other kind of people. After all, we ARE people.

If the non-existence of Him would theoretically ever be proven, I would not change. As said before, yes, I would certainly feel a great loss since I consider Him to be my friend and companion, no matter what.
But, my actions and morals and values would not change. Again, as said before, our believe in Him doesn't just mean a believe in Him, but also a believe in the goodness in everyone and everything.
Heaven and G-d is everywhere, and therefor in all of us. It's just a matter of how we express it and let it out that makes the difference.

My values and morals are not only based on a fear of ending up in Hell in I don't "behave" (again, an argument often used by atheists), but in the believe that the world would be a better place if everyone was nice to everyone.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:00 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
If that were true, the first thing that would devastate me is that I would never see my family and friends again. That would totally do me in as I'm so looking forward to that wonderful reunion in Heaven.
I was thinking that same thing, how sad I would be not to see my loved ones again (and my precious dogs as well ). Other than that probably nothing else would change. I doubt I would suddenly become some terrible person or anything...my nature is what it is aside from my religious beliefs.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:19 PM

253 posts, read 640,572 times
Well, I have to say, I would probably live just about the same way out of habbit, heck, I may live even more carefully, it might seem likely that somebody who has been living their lives to go to heaven this whole time and finds out there is no God would loose all morals, start stealing and killing, etc. But I would be careful not to do anything that could get me in trouble, I wouldn't want to get arrested or anything because if there is no afterlife then this is really the only time I've got and I wouldn't want to spend it in prison or death row, or getting chased by somebody that I managed to get really ticked off. That's my thoughts. There might be a few minor adjustments but for the most part I would just do my best to stay on everybody's good side.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 PM

186 posts, read 352,683 times
One thing I would admit when I decided there might not be a God is that I got real depressed. After that depression for several years I finally gained a new perspective on life. The reason I got depressed is because I couldn't handle the possibility of no spirit after death. I would shudder at the possibility that when I died I would become nothing and my "self" would be annihilated. It is a terrible thing to contemplate at first. After several years of introspection I have come terms with that possibility. On my day of death I shall face it with gratitude that I lived as long as I did compared to many today and in the past.

What happens after you die??
You become what you were before you were born. Nothing.

Now I appreciate life more because of this. I do not take anything for granted and have peace within me.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 PM

253 posts, read 640,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamInShape View Post
One thing I would admit when I decided there might not be a God is that I got real depressed. After that depression for several years I finally gained a new perspective on life. The reason I got depressed is because I couldn't handle the possibility of no spirit after death. I would shudder at the possibility that when I died I would become nothing and my "self" would be annihilated. It is a terrible thing to contemplate at first. After several years of introspection I have come terms with that possibility. On my day of death I shall face it with gratitude that I lived as long as I did compared to many today and in the past.

What happens after you die??
You become what you were before you were born. Nothing.

Now I appreciate life more because of this. I do not take anything for granted and have peace within me.
Yeah, I said on another thread, if I die and there is no afterlife, I won't be disappointed But that doesn't mean I'm not planning on an afterlife

Old 07-05-2007, 08:53 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Yes, I know. Trouble is my middle name. This is actually in response to the question that was posed awhile back asking how we would respond to the obvious return of Jesus so it's just the same thing in reverse. Obviously this wouldn't change my life at all because it's what I already think. But for those of you who do believe, if somehow you were suddenly made aware with absolute certainty that God was not real how would that knowledge change your life?
I'll never know, because I couldn't possibly find out until after I died.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:55 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
It wouldn't change anything for me because I don't believe however I would feel very sorry for alot of people who would be completely confused and disoriented with no one to follow and no one to tell them what to do.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:01 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
I'm sitting here thinking of how I want to answer this question. My first question would be, just who proved this? If it were a human, I would certainly question the validity of the proof. How else could this hypothetical proof occur?

When I look at the sun, the earth, the moon and stars, and all living creatures including mankind, I would have to say that I would start seeking the creator, which would in turn lead me straight back to Jesus's arms.

There is simply no way a person could prove to me that my creator, My God, does not exist.

My mind simpy will not plug in that equation.

I guess I cannot answer this question, because after experiencing all the wonder that Jesus has blessed me with, there is no way I could deny Him or believe in His non-existance. Sorry MG.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:01 PM

193 posts, read 1,027,837 times
If you are a christian then you can not say that you would not change because you would no longer have faith to live by.

I myself can not imagine there being no father, son and holy spirit. If you are a true Christian this is something you can not fathom. The lord has such in impact in our lives that without his guidance and support and the knowledge that there is a life after life as we know it, well, you just can't picture anything else, its impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality