Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 11:09 PM

7,569 posts, read 6,017,004 times

Advertisements

OK Someone help me with this one please.
I am sure that there are some good writings on late 20th century American Mythology. Before I attempt one, I need to read the latest that is already written

I am hypothesizing that is IF anthropologists from 200 years in the future looked back on American society now, they would find a mix mash of loosely defined and loosely confederated socio-economic-religous groups all held together under the greater banner of Capitalism. They would define our mythic existance and identity with the almighty and holy dollar.

It would seem that the see all and end all of our society is money. It runs everything from politics to religion. It is the ultimate power of our society.

Do any intellectual writers out there have a paper or \commentary on this topic? Any ideas ? Comments help please !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 05:47 PM

9,664 posts, read 9,919,726 times
There are some here that are hoping that in two hundred years from now that United States and most all nations that are identified today will be gone or replaced, because this would mean that Jesus came and the antichrist and all evil spirit are locked up in the abyss for thousand years , and this world would be sinless place to live , where people throughout the earth will worship the Lord Jesus in the streets and everywere and know him personally , and the power of the Lord would be strong enough to keep the devil in the abyss for ever, and everybody will be saved to the Lord Jesus as promised through the Word of God ........

Old 10-28-2010, 08:14 PM

32,884 posts, read 26,100,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
OK Someone help me with this one please.
I am sure that there are some good writings on late 20th century American Mythology. Before I attempt one, I need to read the latest that is already written

I am hypothesizing that is IF anthropologists from 200 years in the future looked back on American society now, they would find a mix mash of loosely defined and loosely confederated socio-economic-religous groups all held together under the greater banner of Capitalism. They would define our mythic existance and identity with the almighty and holy dollar.

It would seem that the see all and end all of our society is money. It runs everything from politics to religion. It is the ultimate power of our society.

Do any intellectual writers out there have a paper or \commentary on this topic? Any ideas ? Comments help please !
Shouldn't this be over in the religion and philosophy forum?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:39 PM

7,569 posts, read 6,017,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Shouldn't this be over in the religion and philosophy forum?

It probably should, but the question remains. I looked at a few articles in Psychology today, did not really hit on what I was thinking. I checked at the library, but when you run a search on "American Mythology" you find stories like Ichabod Crane, and Davy Crockett, Paul Bunyon Etc
SO suppose we sat down and wrote a short story that sums up American mythology of the 21st century. What would it contain? Something that is a microcosm of what American society values and believes, something that captures diversity and similarity which 200 years from now could be used to reconstruct our daily way of life.....

Or is that too daunting of a task ?

Old 10-28-2010, 10:13 PM

32,884 posts, read 26,100,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
It probably should, but the question remains. I looked at a few articles in Psychology today, did not really hit on what I was thinking. I checked at the library, but when you run a search on "American Mythology" you find stories like Ichabod Crane, and Davy Crockett, Paul Bunyon Etc
SO suppose we sat down and wrote a short story that sums up American mythology of the 21st century. What would it contain? Something that is a microcosm of what American society values and believes, something that captures diversity and similarity which 200 years from now could be used to reconstruct our daily way of life.....

Or is that too daunting of a task ?
I don't know that you would want to do a short story that merely sums it up. Make it longer and go into more detail. It's not something I would be interested in trying to do though. I'm not sure that Davey Crockett, being a real person, should be discussed in terms of mythology. More of a legend. Myths have a supernatural aspect to them, whereas legends are about real people doing something extraordinary.

What about Casey Jones, the engineer on a train. He was apparently a real person made famous in a song.

What about Big Bad John. Not a real person but was a popular country western song.

Then there's John Henry, a mighty laborer who outperformed a mechanical drill. He was a character who appeared in African American ballots and songs.

That's all I can think of at the moment. But I don't know that anyone 200 years from now would relate that to our daily way of life.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:44 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,078,179 times
I think LargeKingCat is looking for a way to synthesize what late 20th century America accepted as the myths which were central to its civilization (for lack of a better word). I don't think anything has changed much since then. I can't help thinking of Ronald Reagan and his worldview, since he was the "Great Communicator" and not at all reticent to say what he thought was right. It would be quite a project to combine him with Bill Clinton, Bush 41, Carter, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality