Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:59 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,568 times

Advertisements

Kill. Or murder? Which is it?

Exodus 2, verse 13. From here. I am citing the KJV because that is what many christians agree is the most authoritative word for word translation available.

So it says kill, yet when people actually talk about this, christians often jump up and say that the correct translation is actually murder.

It makes a difference. Can the biblical scholars on the board jump in and given reasons for one or the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 12:02 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
I always took it to mean kill. The only exception to this rule is self defense and spiders that rudely show themselves in your house.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
The only exception to this rule is .... spiders that rudely show themselves in your house.
I never thought about that! I always assumed that it just applied to people! Hmmnnn, how is that for a literal, fundamental interpretation of the bible? If creation happened in literal, 24 hour days, then taking this verse just as literally has some interesting implications.

We can talk about the self defense exception later. It is a good area for debate.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
I never thought about that! I always assumed that it just applied to people! Hmmnnn, how is that for a literal, fundamental interpretation of the bible? If creation happened in literal, 24 hour days, then taking this verse just as literally has some interesting implications.

We can talk about the self defense exception later. It is a good area for debate.
Honestly I really don't kill anything if I can avoid it (squirrels around here like to play "dodge" the car a little too often...LOL). I'm really not thrilled with eating meat for this reason, but I don't think it's healthy to feed growing children vegetarian (please veggies on the board, no flaming for this). I can't stand hunters who do it for sport (feeding your family is one thing, but to make a wall hanging disgusts me). I am against the death penalty because I don't think anyone has the right to take a life for any reason (except to save their's or someone else's life) and most of our spiders are sent outside if I can catch them with out touching them.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:13 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I always took it to mean kill. The only exception to this rule is self defense and spiders that rudely show themselves in your house.
Yes, one of my main conserns regarding this has always been wether it's only appliable to humans, or if animals are also included. I admit, I do kill spiders (usually I wimp out and let someone else do it, but that's because I am a true coward when it comes to insects) but I cannot for some reason kill flies and other bigger animals.

And just the meer thought of taking a human's life or another big animal's life (no matter the reason, defense or no defense) creeps me out. I even have nightmares about it

Old 07-06-2007, 12:17 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,487 times
There is a difference. Murder is considered a premeditated act planned for a specific reason. If a person is in a position where someone is trying to kill you and you have to defend yourself, that's a different situation.

The Bible is pretty clear in both matters because the penalties were different. If a man murdered another, then he was put to death. If the killing was deemed an accident, then they had to go before judges to determine the matter. There were also three cities determined as refuge in case a person who accidentally killed someone would be guaranteed safety until the matter could be properly judged.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:19 PM

Ok, but the portion of the 10Cs says "kill". If there is a difference in penalty, does that mean that the 10Cs are wrong, or the penalties are wrong? Or is this a contradiction in the bible?

Old 07-06-2007, 12:20 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
Kill. Or murder? Which is it?

Exodus 2, verse 13. From here. I am citing the KJV because that is what many christians agree is the most authoritative word for word translation available.

So it says kill, yet when people actually talk about this, christians often jump up and say that the correct translation is actually murder.

It makes a difference. Can the biblical scholars on the board jump in and given reasons for one or the other?
Well, it's actually clear from the rest of the Bible the murder was what was meant, since God commanded the Israelites to kill, in war, many times. So obviously God says there is a time and a place for everything, including killing. What is meant here is that we should not murder someone outside of a battle situation or self-defense, IMO.

I myself will kill every single spider I can find!

And BTW, the KJV is NOT a word for word translation, but that is a topic for another thread. It is by and large a decent translation however, and beautifully written.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:21 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
There is a difference. Murder is considered a premeditated act planned for a specific reason. If a person is in a position where someone is trying to kill you and you have to defend yourself, that's a different situation.

The Bible is pretty clear in both matters because the penalties were different. If a man murdered another, then he was put to death. If the killing was deemed an accident, then they had to go before judges to determine the matter. There were also three cities determined as refuge in case a person who accidentally killed someone would be guaranteed safety until the matter could be properly judged.
Agreed. Stretch, whether the word is the same in the original or whether it is not, the Bible has clearly IMO given instuctions and authority about when "killing" is acceptable, even desirable and when it is the taking of an innocent life.

And btw,irishmom, I guess I'm pretty ruthless. I do kill insects (and any other varmint-not human, let me clarify!!! that would deign to enter the premises.) But I do try to do it humanely and get it over with as quickly as possible!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
And btw,irishmom, I guess I'm pretty ruthless. I do kill insects (and any other varmint-not human, let me clarify!!! that would deign to enter the premises.) But I do try to do it humanely and get it over with as quickly as possible!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I myself will kill every single spider I can find!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
I admit, I do kill spiders (usually I wimp out and let someone else do it, but that's because I am a true coward when it comes to insects) but I cannot for some reason kill flies and other bigger animals.
Oh my lots of dead spiders around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality