Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:45 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if others have completely made their minds up like I have and if they went through a similar process. I was never really a believer but as a teenager I went through a period of a few years when I really wasn't sure what I thought. At about eighteen I realized that I was an atheist although I went through occational times during my early twenties when I wasn't quite sure. As I've gotten older I've grown stronger and stronger in my convictions and it's quite clear now that I truly don't believe in the existence of God. At this point in my life I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever and I haven't questioned my lack of belief in many years. If my beliefs could be laid out neatly on a chart it would appear as a smooth curve that represents my transition from not being sure to being an atheist.
Have those of you who are believers gone through a process like this or do some of you still have occational doubts? Also, the same question for the atheists, did you go through what I did due to your upbringing or do some of you wonder if you might be wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 04:55 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Went through a bad period of questioning in my twenties. I still believed but I did struggle with doubt. Nothing specific. Just "what if" type questions. The fact that I believed so much though, made me feel guilty about the fact that I was struggling. Finally, I worked through it.

My son,as you might well guess, was raised in a very Christian environment. At about 13, I think he decide he was "agnostic." He had the good sense not to share this with mom, however. By about 14 or 15, he had resolved his "issues" and doubts and returned to "the fold" so to speak. After that, he was a very active witness for the Lord in school and with his friends etc. He seemed to especially like to talk to those who were also leaning "agnostically" shall we say. I think this may be fairly typical for a kid raised a certain way to make certain that their faith is theirs and not mom and dad's.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:05 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,805 times
I have had periods where I doubted if God was working in my life or in certain situations because I was having to wait for long periods of time to see anything happen.

But in all honesty I know that the Lord Jesus is God like I know that the sun is shinning at this very momment. Not an exaggeration...I mean it.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:10 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
kaykay wrote:
Quote:
I think this may be fairly typical for a kid raised a certain way to make certain that their faith is theirs and not mom and dad's.
That makes sense. I think children and teenagers are going through so many changes as they grow that it takes them awhile to get their bearings. What's strange about my family is that I have one sister and half brother who are extremely religious and always have been their entire lives. Then I have another sister who thinks just like I do. We all grew up in the same environment but we all turned out so differently as far as what we believe is concerned. Thankfully, our different views have never been a source of conflict and we're very fortunate that we all get along so well.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:14 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
As a child, I guess you could say I believed in God because that was the only explanation presented to me. I also believed in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. However, as I grew with age the more I realized that God was the same as good ol' Santa and the Tooth Fairy. But, I have to say, as a kid it never made much sense to me in the first place. I remember being in Sunday School at about 6 or 7 years old and I remember getting slapped by a nun for calling the pope "The ****". After that, I guess you could say I pretty much had it with religion and by the time I was an early teen I thought I knew all the answers.

When I was about 16 or 17 I met a real southern Baptist girl whose father was of the strict ordinance of no dancing, kissing, or breathing in a matter that offends god. In order for me to date her I soon figured out that I had to pretend to at least be faithful in some sort of God. I told them I was a Catholic looking to convert and be saved and they really worked hard to try and save me. I guess I was doing it for my girlfriend because I never really cared about being saved or for that matter even believing in God. After attending their sermons a couple of times they asked if anyone would like to be saved. I raised my hand so as to shed any doubt as to my so-called "faith" and I was actually saved. I didn't really believe it. I just went through the motions so I wouldn't be forced to go break up with my girlfriend

One thing I learned from the whole experience is how nutty some of these people are. I had never even heard of the "saved" thing until I met this girl. I remember sitting in my car with her and we were just talking, waiting on the rain to die down. I'll never forget her asking me "Are you saved?" I looked at her like she was nuts. I said, "From what?". She was surprised I didn't know what that meant and she proceeded to tell me the whole rapture theory and all that. She then told me that she would try to have me saved. At the time, I didn't think anything of it. I just thought it was important to her and if that's what she wanted to do than fine. I think, in the end, that's what ultimately made us break up. She was looking for a real Christian man and I guess I didn't fit the profile.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:49 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
I have questioned my faith several times. I think that most teenagers and young adults go through periods of questioning. I went through a period of about a year when I thought I was either agnostic or athiest, and read a bit on it. I even considered one of the Eastern religions. Then I thought I had better take another closer look at christianity because I realized that I just could not accept that there was not a higher intelligence out there. I began an intense bible and prayer study on my own.
At the moment I am not associated with any particular church. I am comfortable worshiping with any and all believers. I don't like to argue my beliefs, because I really don't think God favors one group over the rest, or one tradition or way of worship over the rest. To me the important thing in being a christian is to have love and compassion for all, because He loves us all thre same. It is not my place to judge or condemn anyone.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:03 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,219 times
I question all the time, which is why I consider myself agnostic.

I look at some of the crap that happens in this world and think, there is no way there could be a God when things like Darfur, the Holocaust, Shining Path, etc. happen. I stopped believing for quite a long time when I was younger and my 13 year old cousin died. It's just very hard to reconcile things like that with a God that is righteous and just.

I also can't picture a God if the God insists on being worshiped. If there is an all mighty supreme being, I can't see s/he/it having such low self esteem that s/he/it needs to constantly told how how great s/he/it is. I also can't picture the idea of a God that people have a hotline to (aka the I scored a touchdown and thanked Jesus kind of God).

Yet at the same time, I can look at the sunrise and think that is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen and something amazing (besides science) had to have a hand in making something that breath-taking. When my sons were born, they almost died (they were born dead and resuscitated) and I remember thinking, if there is a God, I hope my kids live.

I guess that I think if there is a God, I picture this supreme being who is bored and wants entertainment so he made stuff to entertain him. S/he/it doesn't intervene in things, just watched us for better or worse, for amusement.

I may question if s/he/it exists or not, but most of his followers annoy the heck out of me.

Until God can be proven or disprove scientifically, I just can't say in absolutes if one exists or not.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:16 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,309 times
Because of my parents, I was reared in the Lutheran church. After I was about 11 years old, we stopped going and I didn't pursue it. I didn't really care if God was there or not during that time.

When I was in my early 20's, I started dabbling with new age beliefs while I tried other churches. When I was 32, I joined the mormon church. I didn't find what I wanted there and started to question His existence once again.

When I was 47, that's when God touched me and I knew without a doubt He is who He says He is. It didn't occur as a huge fireworks spectacular but with a small gentle voice and His presence touching me. Can't explain it but that's what happened. So, yes, there were times when I had some doubts but that's no longer the case. I know without a doubt He lives.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:28 PM

219 posts, read 717,967 times
I always question the validity of my conclusions. It is a constant assessment process - could be why I'm constantly looking for more data and evidence on topics I've examined many times. I will always question whether I am right or wrong and look for support for either one but won't abandon logic and reason in my assessment and many have told me that is my problem but that is an entirely different philosophical conversation.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:45 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
My faith is rock solid and always has been. I grew up in a Christian home so I was taught about God from birth. He became real to me at 9 and has been ever since. I know anything that comes into my life is allowed by God, not always sent by Him but allowed, I trust Him completely. There was a time I drifted away from God but I came back and have never left and my faith just keeps growing stronger and I know Him better everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality