Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 08:48 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,182,695 times

Advertisements

All too often, when Christians talk about atheists, they will say that atheists have no faith and don't believe in anything.
That is not true. As an atheist I believe in myself and have come to be my most dependable person. My faith in myself originated within me, instead of being placed within me by any mythical beings.
This means that when encountering difficulties I don't pray for help or expect miracles. I use my brain and all my resources to work on logical, realistic solutions. Very often my plans are successful, which then increase my faith in myself. I grow stronger.
I have no faith in an afterlife and little interest in the same. I'd much rather go through this life relying on myself, than believing in an afterlife relying on a faith which heavily depends on the existence of mythical beings and places.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:59 AM

564 posts, read 1,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
All too often, when Christians talk about atheists, they will say that atheists have no faith and don't believe in anything.
That is not true. As an atheist I believe in myself and have come to be my most dependable person. My faith in myself originated within me, instead of being placed within me by any mythical beings.
This means that when encountering difficulties I don't pray for help or expect miracles. I use my brain and all my resources to work on logical, realistic solutions. Very often my plans are successful, which then increase my faith in myself. I grow stronger.
I have no faith in an afterlife and little interest in the same. I'd much rather go through this life relying on myself, than believing in an afterlife relying on a faith which heavily depends on the existence of mythical beings and places.
Sounds like you are very blessed!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:05 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,623,897 times
Quote:

Excellent post, and I am completely in agreement with you !

Old 07-16-2007, 02:07 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1117 View Post
Believers believe in something unknown(created in human mind,without evidence),which is sad.
The real power of human mind comes from our ability to think independently and logically.
Right. That's why when I started reading and researching about life after death, I decided to think independently and logically. I started reading with an open mind not really knowing what to expect.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
That seems like a lonely way to live. One reason we are here on Earth is to help other people. If you only have faith in yourself, does that mean you never help other people?

One reason I feel sorry for those who don't believe in the afterlife are the expectations:

1. (For Believers) Once you pass over (the soul doesn't "die," only the body does), you will be reunited with family and friends. There will be no disease, no pain, no financial worries. You are free to go where you want, learn about how and why the universe was created, learn about other life forms from other solar systems, review why you were on Earth and what you accomplished, visit with other souls (friends) you knew before you choose to live a mortal life on Earth, etc.

2. (For Non-Believers) You die, are put in the ground and become worm food.

#1 sounds a lot more cheerful and exciting than #2!

Old 07-16-2007, 02:24 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,849,212 times
Quote:
Believers believe in something unknown(created in human mind,without evidence),which is sad.
The real power of human mind comes from our ability to think independently and logically.
Do you not think there is power and beauty in art and creativity? Fictional writing? Film? Would you characterize someone who devotes their entire life to painting or music as "sad" (worthless I take it)?

Old 07-16-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That seems like a lonely way to live. One reason we are here on Earth is to help other people. If you only have faith in yourself, does that mean you never help other people?

One reason I feel sorry for those who don't believe in the afterlife are the expectations:

1. (For Believers) Once you pass over (the soul doesn't "die," only the body does), you will be reunited with family and friends. There will be no disease, no pain, no financial worries. You are free to go where you want, learn about how and why the universe was created, learn about other life forms from other solar systems, review why you were on Earth and what you accomplished, visit with other souls (friends) you knew before you choose to live a mortal life on Earth, etc.

2. (For Non-Believers) You die, are put in the ground and become worm food.

#1 sounds a lot more cheerful and exciting than #2!
You don't need to believe in god to help others. I have faith in myself and humans. As a humanist I believe we all have the power of good as well as "evil" in ourselves but that we have the capacity to overcome our weaknesses and be better human beings. I believe in compassion, kindness and thoughtfulness as well as respect for others. Having faith in yourself has nothing with being selfish, it means not depending on a deity of any shape of form.
Regarding death I would rather be spared pain and misery whilst on this earth and have loving and happy relationships with people now ,not in a distant improbable future. Why would god allow anyone be in pain and miserable on earth , why should anyone ( or any other human being) have to wait . Life is for living NOW .

I have no problem with being worm food, we are all part of an amazing eco-system and I am proud to be part of the food chain.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
You don't need to believe in god to help others. I have faith in myself and humans. As a humanist I believe we all have the power of good as well as "evil" in ourselves but that we have the capacity to overcome our weaknesses and be better human beings. I believe in compassion, kindness and thoughtfulness as well as respect for others. Having faith in yourself has nothing with being selfish, it means not depending on a deity of any shape of form.
But it's better to know why we help others and they help us. It is because that is one reason why we are here on Earth.

Quote:
Regarding death I would rather be spared pain and misery whilst on this earth and have loving and happy relationships with people now ,not in a distant improbable future. Why would god allow anyone be in pain and miserable on earth , why should anyone ( or any other human being) have to wait.
We are on Earth and sometimes go through pain and misery because it is a learning experience. Our souls grow from it. How often did you learn and grow when everything was going well?

Quote:
Life is for living NOW.
It is, but it doesn't end when the body dies. It just changes to a different type of life and much more enjoyable.

Quote:
I have no problem with being worm food, we are all part of an amazing eco-system and I am proud to be part of the food chain.
Maybe you, I am not going to go through life working and working out problems to end up as that. Neither will you. You will find out when the time comes.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:39 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,804 times
Quote:
Logic is at the core of St. Thomas Aquinas' writings. He's considered the world's greated philosopher between Aristotle and Decartes. I've mentioned before here (but no one ever responded....maybe no one has ever read his stuff ) He wrote the Summa Theologica which incorporate the Proofs for the existence of God.

Also, the encyclical "Fides et Ratio" (Fiath and Reason) is also a good read....even if you're not catholic.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
But it's better to know why we help others and they help us. It is because that is one reason why we are here on Earth.

We are on Earth and sometimes go through pain and misery because it is a learning experience. Our souls grow from it. How often did you learn and grow when everything was going well?

It is, but it doesn't end when the body dies. It just changes to a different type of life and much more enjoyable.

Maybe you, I am not going to go through life working and working out problems to end up as that. Neither will you. You will find out when the time comes.

I know why I want to help people and be good to others. I do not need a god to tell me why. I as a human being I have a duty to make sure that I treat people the way I want to be treated, and ensure that the most vulnerable are not left behind. I believe in humanity not a deity. god has nothing to do with it. I also believe life is a lot more pleasant if you behave in a good and positive manner for all concerned. I believe in doing what is right and treating others with respect and compassion.

I cannot see how pain and misery help you grow, I find myself a lot more receptive when I am happy. Pain, misery and seeing others suffer makes me angry, frustrated and full of rage. Nothing ever good has ever come of pain for me. It is an utterly negative thing. I have become more and more depressed and more and more enraged about injustice , famine and war and I feel I now hate the world more than ever. I am still idealistic but find myself wanting to retire from the world as I cannot bear all the hatred, bigotry and pain. The "stick" has never worked for me, I am a "carrot" sort of person. if "god" loves us all so much I would suggest he stops reducing the horrors people have to face. I don't expect life to be a dream ride all the way but I think he could start by ensuring nobody suffers things like war, famine, rape, long term illness, incest or child abuse. That would be a beginning. Call me selfish but I cannot see a positive out of pain. Nobody should have to go through this . If there is a god he shows no love to us.

I prefer to end up as worm food but thank you all the same. You'll find out one day too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality